Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
shunker_lure

Is 4hp enough

shunker_lure

I have a 12' jon boat with a 4hp older johnson motor is that enough power with current to go up stream. I know it would be slow moving. i mainly plan on taking it around the mankato area.

harvey lee

I do not believe one would have a hard time at all with 4hp with the low water and slower current. With a regular spring and the higher water and current, one could have some issues going upstream.

If you were to hit an area with more current, I would then run the shallower side of the river to get into the shallower water and there would be less current. The outside bends and main channel will have the fastest curent.

Yes, it would be a slower ride to your fishing spot but that would be a great time to simply enjoy the ride and the scenery along the river.

The smaller boat could be the ticket now with the lower water and slower current.

Now if it were to rain many inches, then of course the current could pick up greatly.

Scott K

Tom pretty much nailed it. In this water, it will be slow, but doable. In higher water, I would leave the 4hp at home. Not only going upstream would be hard, but to speed up enough to maneuver around obstacles going down stream would be challenging. When I was in my teens, I ran a 14 foot with a 9.9 almost year around. Except when the water was out of the banks. It got me around, but you best not be in any hurry getting up stream.

me_fathead

...and when you launch, go upstream first. That way, if you have any issues you're going the right way when you need to get back

MinnesnowtaWild

Just be careful if you go downstream from there because there is a necked down spot that is quite fast even in low water (probably especially in low water).

shunker_lure

Well did my shake down test on sunday afternoon. Went from land of memories and went up stream. Managed to go about 5 mph up stream which was a ok speed gave enough time to see everything coming up and to get a good read on the water. On the way back down stream managed to get 9 mph out of the motor.

I only caught one sheephead but i only fished for two hours. All the woodducks on the river keeps a person entertained.

Hopefully next time out the water will be warmer and the fish be more active.

Larry FlatCaster

Keep in mind the rising river and faster flows in the near future. If you hadn't already. Its moving and will be picking up flow after last nights rain.

DTro

You are going to have a heck of a time in the next few weeks with that 4ph. Be careful.