Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Joe

Mississippi River Fishing Reports Pools 2 & 3

Joe

Can you help us out and share your success stories here.

Feel free to chime in with your fishing reports good, bad or ugly.

For the most current reports click the highest page number onthe upper or lower right of this thread.

BigWormin

Going to need a good warm snap to fish P2, it's locked up pretty good right now! Hopefully going to bust the boat out again in a couple weeks... might have to be P4 though.

River Dan

Sunday there were guys out on pool2, counted 4 rigs at the launch

sparky27

What section of pool 2 is fishable,and where can you launch from?

fishdale

Lillydale access is still iced in must be the 494 launch.

River Dan

That is correct, open water to st paul

icefishing21

is it open water at the ford dam? like up by shore also?

River Dan

Friend of mine caught a 27 1/2" walleye on the first cast this week, fished another 3 1/2 hours and nothing, great start to open water on pool2

walleyelabman

Sad to report it was not me

PierBridge

is it open water at the ford dam? like up by shore also?

Above the Ford dam its still frozen solid across.

Directly below the Dam and to the St. Paul side of the Island is ice free and totally open. On the MPLS side of the island its still frozen all the way from the Lock doors down to about the first bend and then it appears open down past the Hidden Falls ramp.It probably ice's up again near the Confluence would be my guess.

The Hidden Falls ramp is un-passable at this point but with a little more warm weather and some effort the ramp COULD be usable in the Near futre.

icefishing21

alright thanks for the info

wastewaterguru

Came down from the Cedar ramp on the Minnesota River yesterday and the Mississippi was still solid ice at the confluence. It looked pretty solid.

St_Croix_Banks

Hi:

I fished pool 2 last spring and we launched at Lilydale. I dont generally fish the river past the spring but I was wondering if that area (Lilydale and north) will be fishable by the 1st week in April. Is the Lilydale launch open then? What are your thoughts? Thank you.

OLY

It all depends on the year. First week of april you could be dealing with really high water and dangerous currents, or it could be like last year were I was fishing early april with no problems. The best thing to do is go to rivergages website and you can monitor water levels and current before you decide to go.

TheWarrior

Can you launch at Hidden Falls right now? and can you fish where the Ford dam is? Thanks

TheWarrior

When is the best time to fish below the ford dam around the island?

Flaco651

I heard a few days ago the Hidden Falls launch was unusable yet. I haven't actually been down there to see it though.

Loon18

I stopped down there this morning and yes you can launch and get to the ford dam. Maybe ice on the Minneapolis side. The ramp is ok and after today it should be in fantastic shape.

tommyk

To start, the 494 landing was in perfect shape with both ramps open and no ice along the beach either! Navigation was good as well. There were icebergs here and there, but nothing to complain about. Water temps ranged from 36 to just over 37 degrees. And fishing wasn't half bad.

The bite was one here one there but enough to be satisfied. Seemed that was similar for the others around me too. I ended up catching five walleyes from 17 to 22", all males. While I was putting things away to leave a boat just down from me did land a large female. My technique for the day consisted of vertical "holding" (not jigging, they liked it motionless) with the current and then dragging back up to where I wanted to start over again. The current was right wgere it left off last fall...slllooooowww. I used a 1/8th oz. jig with a 3" Gulp! Alive Minnow in either Smelt or Watermelon Pearl vertical going down current, Dragging back up I still able to use the 1/8th oz. size and I chose to use a mini paddle tail that Dean at Everts gave me to try when I was down on Pool 4. The paddle tail's tail would wiggle dragging against the current while the minnow had nothing that wiggled. One fish seemed to like it anyways. But going down stream the same speed as the current there was no action out of it at all and that is why I stuck with the minnow since neither baits had moving parts then, but the Gulp! had the scent thing going. The three bigger eyes came from a bit shallower of water right on a break from 12' to 16' and the smaller two came out from the basin of that break in 16' to 18'. The break consited of rock and the basin area I would say was pretty snag free with light scattered rock.

Presentations...

030609_3.jpg

Asprin shaped jig cuts water better...

030609_4.jpg

I would have tried an orange jig head since the water color probably was right for that, but I had poured a bunch of new jigs with the intention of painting them and never got around to it in time for today.

Nice 20"er...

030609_2.jpg

Hope this helps. Pool 2 is open, go get 'em! grin

PierBridge

When is the best time to fish below the ford dam around the island?

Just remember its illegal to boat with-in 500 feet of the Dam. The Island and the wall on the St. Paul side have marker signs alerting you of this. If want to fish near the Dam park your boat on the Island and walk up and Fish near the Dam that way...

The CO's have really been watching these areas closely so be smart and save yourself a $200 Ticket and a Court appearance.

Good Luck!

River Dan

Figured with the weather coming the fish this afternoon would be biting so I put in at the 494 ramp and made my way up the river to one of my areas, marked bait and fish in 13' and threw several different plastic combos at them and managed to pull two small eyes, worked the area for for almost a hour head out searching and found fish, stripers to be exact and boated 5 nice ones and one heck of a gizzard shad, fished about 2 1/2 hours, lot of fun close to home!

FatBassman

If fishing within 500' below the dam is prohibited, then I have been guilty. Are you certain of this? The signs are clearly marked above the dam that you have to maintain 500'...but I have not seen any signs below the dam. Not saying your wrong...just want to be sure so I don't get a ticket.

flatheadhunter87

you guys catch any cats up there or dont you guys fish for them.

tommyk

I caught a fair amount of channels while fishing walleyes on wingdams last summer and got a monster of a flathead one morning too. I know alot of people do target them with good success and size at night.

flatheadhunter87

What is the biggest channel that you have caught on accident. Are there some deep holes throughout there? Where do you suggest i launch from up by liydale or down by harriet island. Thanks