Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sdog

any info on black bay icefishing

3 posts in this topic

thinken of trying this area next year. can anyone recommend a winter resort out of black bay or a place that plows roads, i see from my h20 that there is alot of islands with good structure is it hard to get to these by trucks. whats the fishing pressure like . ive never icefished or summer fish on vermillion so any advice would be great.

thanks

You might note that most of black bay isn't very deep, ranging from maybe 8 or 9 feet at the mouth down near metza point to only about 4 or 5 feet further up. And it is all soft bottom so far as I can tell.

Delcecchi is right. The river channel out of Black Bay is 8-9 feet and the bay itself is consistently 4-6 feet deep throughout. There aren't many fish in there during the winter. I've never seen an ice fisherman out there, except for myself, and I haven't caught a thing.

The crappies and panfish are the last things to move out in the fall. All of the fish return in the spring and then begin to slowly migrate back out of the bay again as the open water season continues.

Probably the only thing to catch there during the winter is bullheads, but I haven't caught any of them either. Maybe somebody else will have some contradicting information about Black Bay.

Other parts of the lake have much better fishing and there are ice roads in those areas. However, I would not drive from Black Bay to anywhere. There is moving current coming from Black Lake, into Black Bay, and out to the rest of Vermilion and I've never seen a vehicle (besides 4-wheelers and snowmobiles) drive from Black Bay through the channel.