Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blongtin

Babbler's Road

10 posts in this topic

I'm bringing some guys up for our yearly fishing trip this thursday (2/28) and we'll be fishing off of Babbler's Road. Been up there a few times this year and the best we did was just south of Gull Rock in about 22-23 ft of water(about a month ago). 16 Mile was pretty slow earlier this year for us. Probably were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I'm looking for any suggestions as to where the best place to fish this time of year would be. Should we fish again by Gull or head out to 16 mile? Any input helps...Thanks!

I was out to 16mile yesterday afternoon and the fishing was excellent on the waypoint where we set the portables. Spoke with a couple of other folks that fished a different area out there and they did'nt do so hot. 16mile is a BIG piece of structure with alot of different 'terrain features' so I'd reckon some did good and others not so good depending on just where they punched their holes and dropped their jigs.

I pulled around about 50 fish myself, brought home 4 good eyes a Sauger and 5 Perch. Saugers were few and far between here. Mid afternoon Shiners on a pink/white gold backed small Gemeni hanging on the deadstick got them interested, and later jigging the pink/white AEjr was busy!....Twas doubles and/or 1 line only for a good part of the late afternoon. About 315 they seemed to really turn on and went crazy till near dark! Got some fish on Fatheads and Dace also but them Shiners really tripped their trigger yesterday it seemed to me.

The fish are out there!

Good luck....fiskyknut

may I ask at what depth were you fishing at?

I was at 16 mile this weekend also. Had the Lodge in position on about 22 feet of water. We picked up some nice sized sauger-pleasantly surprised by that. Not much action in the walleye category, though. The ones we did land were pretty small. Talked to a guy beside us and he had pretty much the same story. Thanks to Mr. Babbler for making a nice road for us to get out there. While we didn't nail 'em like we sometimes do, we had a heck of a good time- the resorts were jockeying people back and forth amongst their houses on 16, so I suspect Fiskynut is right, depended alot on where you punched your holes. Good luck all-can't wait to get back there in March.

Thanks for the input! We'll probably head out to 16 mile and try it out there. No one suggest gull rock at all?

Well if you see 4-5 portables w/ a white chevy crew cab out there stop by...the beer will be cold.

We fished 16 mile on friday a few feet from where our wheel house has been last couple of years and had poor luck, friends fished at arnesons reef thurs and friday and had good luck there. We fished in there spot on saturday poor luck again (they must have caught them all), moved back out to 16 mile, fished by some other guys we know(slow for them as well), pulled some perch and a 33" northern, no keeper walleyes or saugers, slowest two days of fishing this year for us.

We were at Gull Rock on Sat. Seemed like everyone we talked to was having the same luck. That being... not too much.

An "ok" bite in the morning until around 10:00am then pretty slow.

We graphed MANY fish on the vexilars without many takers. WE managed 6 jumbos and 6 nice saugers/walleyes. I threw everything at them.

During the slowest bite, small gold jigs seemed to work on dead sticks.

We were in 24 feet.

Decoy,

Did you happen to see the small airplane on skis over by Gull Rock fishing out of a portable? Now that is the way to travel. Can't imagine it being a very smooth landing with all of the snow drifts out there, though.

About a month ago we had an airplane buzz us w/ an auger hanging from their wing. It would take about half the time to get up to the big lake...sounds good to me.

there was a ski airplane convention going on in warroad last weekend.we had a yellow airplane buzz us on zipple last weekend.