Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
winterse

Bowstring Advice

4 posts in this topic

I am hoping to ice fish Bowstring the weekend of the 16th and 17th, but I could use a little advice. I used to go hit the String with my Grandpa for crappies a few times each winter, but it has probablly been 12 years since he and I have been able to fish together. He always picked the fishing spots, so I'm not real sure what to look for when selecting a location. Should I be looing for a specific depth range, type of structure, or anything like that. I don't need exact locations, but enough information so that I'm not wandering around with no idea of what I'm doing would be appreciated. I would also be interested in some evening eyes if there are a few to be had. I've never ice fished for walleyes on Bowstring before.

Thanks,

WINTERSE

The north end access off county road 35 is the most used. There are alot of different spots around the lake that are fished for crappie mostly the north,west and south sides.Most of the crappie fishing is in the 20 to 25ft which is where it drops in to the main basin of the lake. There are different humps and bump mostly in the north end that people fish. Not what I like to do, but you will see little fishing villages set up in different area mostly the north and west side that are fishing crappie/perch.

We have done well out in front of Snug Harbor Resort in 20-25 ft. We usually have to stay mobil and jump from hole to hole finding active fish. There are usually a ton of holes already drilled so you will see the areas that are fished. Don't be afraid to break away from the pack to find fish. First light and last light always seemed to be the best times. Good luck and report on how you do.

Dodger

Any size to these crappies?