Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

URL walleye Question

I had a guide who I rented house over new years tell me that if I was not as concerned about getting any crappies and wanted to concentrate more on the walleyes that I would catch 5 times the walleyes on the first break (7-9 feet) as opposed to going farther out. So I got to thinking (as dangerous as that may seem)when I was up there last feb, we caught 8 walleyes about 6 miles out on a friday and tried about a 1/2 mile out the next day and caught about 60. Is that the norm or we we in the right place at the right time on that day. Having only fished the lake a handful of times, I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this, thanks

mnhunter 3815

hmmm the farther you go out the better chances of getting a crappie r pretty good.

Random guy

Well this is how I see it.

Yes you will catch more walleye closer to "walleye structure". Such as a sharper break, shore bound rockpiles, deep cuts into shallow water so on and so forth. Although on Upper Red Lake a good majority of the shallow walleye will fall into the slot and the bite can be very shortlived at dusk and dawn. Now I'm not saying this is the way it always goes but for the most part it is the trend.

Now take yourself out to deper water you will find more keeper fish, crappies, perch and the tanker pike tend to hang in the deeper parts of the lake this time of the year.

so you have to make the decision "Do I go out deep and open up my chances for all kinds of species or do I restrict to myelf to the shore line and catch-realease a bunch of walleye in short bursts?"

Many of the guides and outfitters have have spent sleeples nights trying to figure out what the best approach would be to satisfy clients. You will notice maybe one or two are in close and the rest are out in the deeper regions.

Thanks Johnny

With bringing up the wives mid feb(which took a little convincing)we just want them to catch some fish regardless of what they are. With the crappie bite getting tougher all the time, I thought walleyes may be the better target. From your experience, to get numbers of fish mid feb, are we better off in close or out farther or is it just whatever our gut feeling is at the time.

When I asked the guide I fished with over new years why he does not have any houses in close if he feels the fishing is better in close, his response was that his clients get upset with him or think he is being cheap or lazy when he only brings them a 1/4 mile out as opposed to furthur out. I would not think clients would care where they are if they are catching fish but then again, maybe you do run into that.

Thanks for your help

Random guy

Trouble is when houses are in close good reports may come in from out deep and everybody wants to go deep, then the guys out deep hear of a bite in shallow and everybody wants to go shallow, it can be a vicous cycle. crazy.gif

My thought currently (could change tommorow)is to stay deep and keep the chances for crappies/ perch/pike/walleye open. From what I see scouting in shallow on the north side is a very slow bite until the sun touches the horizion creating about an hour of fast action then it dies again until sunrise. When I check houses after this shallow water test they are still catching fish in deeper water well after dark and even some good midday bites.

Slabby

Sounds right to me. Then if you're in shallow for early or late walleye, you'll miss the best chance for crappie out deep.

It's funny rocky but I think you're guide is right-- a guide is better covered with slow fishing if he takes you out farther. The preception by some customers is "at least he's trying". doesn't make much sense? If fishing is good though, it doesn't matter where you are or how far out.