• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

URL walleye Question

I had a guide who I rented house over new years tell me that if I was not as concerned about getting any crappies and wanted to concentrate more on the walleyes that I would catch 5 times the walleyes on the first break (7-9 feet) as opposed to going farther out. So I got to thinking (as dangerous as that may seem)when I was up there last feb, we caught 8 walleyes about 6 miles out on a friday and tried about a 1/2 mile out the next day and caught about 60. Is that the norm or we we in the right place at the right time on that day. Having only fished the lake a handful of times, I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this, thanks

hmmm the farther you go out the better chances of getting a crappie r pretty good.

Well this is how I see it.

Yes you will catch more walleye closer to "walleye structure". Such as a sharper break, shore bound rockpiles, deep cuts into shallow water so on and so forth. Although on Upper Red Lake a good majority of the shallow walleye will fall into the slot and the bite can be very shortlived at dusk and dawn. Now I'm not saying this is the way it always goes but for the most part it is the trend.

Now take yourself out to deper water you will find more keeper fish, crappies, perch and the tanker pike tend to hang in the deeper parts of the lake this time of the year.

so you have to make the decision "Do I go out deep and open up my chances for all kinds of species or do I restrict to myelf to the shore line and catch-realease a bunch of walleye in short bursts?"

Many of the guides and outfitters have have spent sleeples nights trying to figure out what the best approach would be to satisfy clients. You will notice maybe one or two are in close and the rest are out in the deeper regions.

Thanks Johnny

With bringing up the wives mid feb(which took a little convincing)we just want them to catch some fish regardless of what they are. With the crappie bite getting tougher all the time, I thought walleyes may be the better target. From your experience, to get numbers of fish mid feb, are we better off in close or out farther or is it just whatever our gut feeling is at the time.

When I asked the guide I fished with over new years why he does not have any houses in close if he feels the fishing is better in close, his response was that his clients get upset with him or think he is being cheap or lazy when he only brings them a 1/4 mile out as opposed to furthur out. I would not think clients would care where they are if they are catching fish but then again, maybe you do run into that.

Thanks for your help

Trouble is when houses are in close good reports may come in from out deep and everybody wants to go deep, then the guys out deep hear of a bite in shallow and everybody wants to go shallow, it can be a vicous cycle. crazy.gif

My thought currently (could change tommorow)is to stay deep and keep the chances for crappies/ perch/pike/walleye open. From what I see scouting in shallow on the north side is a very slow bite until the sun touches the horizion creating about an hour of fast action then it dies again until sunrise. When I check houses after this shallow water test they are still catching fish in deeper water well after dark and even some good midday bites.

Sounds right to me. Then if you're in shallow for early or late walleye, you'll miss the best chance for crappie out deep.

It's funny rocky but I think you're guide is right-- a guide is better covered with slow fishing if he takes you out farther. The preception by some customers is "at least he's trying". doesn't make much sense? If fishing is good though, it doesn't matter where you are or how far out.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.