Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew Erickson

?

7 posts in this topic

will a 5wt be ok for bass or is it a little light?

If you want to throw big bushy flies that are less then aerodynamic it will be. (too light that is)

My only flyrod is a 5wt and it handles bass like a champ. I throw mostly medium size nymphs and buggers.

It depends what size bass you're typically catching and what flies you plan on throwing. I don't go much lighter than a 6 weight for bass and I use that when throwing smaller aerodynamic flies. When fishing waters where I know there are bass up to 20 inches, I use my 8 weight, that can easily throw big bass bugs that I would have trouble with if using a 5 or 6 wt. It would work, but wouldn't be ideal in my opinion.

I think the 5 is a bit too light. Like Kent I use an 8 wt, sometimes even a 9 wt, depending on the river I fish. It is a lot easier to cast small flies with a big rod, than big flies with a small rod. I prefer to use my 8 wt over my 6 wt when fishing anything bigger than a size 10 streamer.

I would have to agree with Magneto and Quickstrike in that a 5 or 6 wt might be a little light for bass. I personally use a 7wt mod-fast action for bass, and at times it still feels a little light when I'm really trying to reach out and touch something with clumsy big flies.

However, a 5 wt is fine for lighter nyphs and smaller fish, or if a new fly rod is not in your budget right now. Personally I've landed plenty of big fish on my 5/6 wt and even my 4wt, but in terms of castability you are better off going with at least a 7 wt.

ok thanks.my new rod is on the way right now