Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FatMike

Marcum lx-3 vs Marcum lx-1

10 posts in this topic

What are the main differences between the two flashers? Is the lx-3 worth the extra $? I don't really have the cash to buy a lx-5 or I would by that. Thanks.

The LX-3 is going to have more power.. much more power.. the LX1 The added power will help with noise rejection.

LX-3 1500 watts of power

Vx-1 600 Watts of power.

The Lx-3 is going to have a movable zoom. Very very nice feature!

Vx-1 only has bottom zoom.

In my opinion the LX-3 is a much better unit..

also I believe that the LX3 has 12 levels of IR and the VX1 only has 6. If you can afford it go for the 3.

O

Thanks for the info and opinions. Greatly appreciated. Is there anywhere to get a deal on one of these units?

There's a place online that sells reconditioned LX-3s and LX-5s. They are not always in stock. You save about $70-$80 with a 1 year warranty. Google "reconditioned lx-3" and click on the first hit. It says the website that has these.

say fatmike;

the Marcum is a VX-1 it has 600watts, also it has the bottom 5' lock. This is a great unit for the money.Plus it comes with a $20 or $30 rebate til Jan. 15,2008.

LX 1 does not have zoom or softcase otherwise they are the same.

Besides price and more power between the lx-5 and lx-3 the only difference seems to be that the lx-5 has a dual beam. What exactly is this and what benefits does a dual beam have?

I'm thinking I may go with an lx-3, but would like to hear what people say about the dual beam first.

Thanks for all the replies and information.

The dual beam is a 8 degree cone and a 20 degree cone. The 8 degree cone is nice in a fish house with holes close together. Depending on the depth you should only be able to see the jig in the hole the transducer is in. It's also nice on steep breaks because it minimizes the dead zone. Thwe LX-5 also has a fine line setting which makes the marks on the dial very thin which increases the target separation a little more. The biggest difference between the LX-3 and the LX-5 is the dual beam. The fine line and extra power aren't that much to get excited about.