Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
work sucks

Best time to get 'em on LOW

3 posts in this topic

Four of us are planning a early march trip to LOW...is this a good time to visit or would you go sooner? The only other time I have been there was in mid January. We did ok with a limit of fish our first day out of Zipple's. How have you guys done later in the season? For what it's worth we will be staying at the Patch in Warroad and fishing out of portables anywhere a 4wd truck can reach. Thanks for the info.

March is a great time on LOW, April is even better. Fished a few times up there into the second week of April and fishing was never slow. Lots of anglers bring boats with portables and get the best of both worlds.

is the middle of feb a good time to fish LOW???

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• TNtoMN_HuntFish
      I really hope they don't screw this place up. I love it out there and have done a lot of hunting there. I sure wish there were fewer horse trails. It shouldn't be so easy for hunters to access all the woods. That makes it harder to get away from the guys who want to hunt no more than 50 yds from a gravel road.    The dunes seems like a pretty special place to me. DNR does a lot of things that leave is scratching our heads, let's hope they manage this place properly. 
      Im staying at Arrowwood July 2-5 and looking to catch some 'eyes for a fish fry or 2. Never been to the area before so I dont have much to go by other than my overall knowledge of Walleye fishing elsewhere. Ill probably be fishing early mornings and dusk for obvious reasons, but also because my boat will be used for the majority of the days for entertaining the girlfriends family. Im open to fishing not only Darling, but Carlos and Le Homme Dieu as well. 

From what ive read and can see on Google Earth, the lakes are pretty clear, and from experience, usually means tough walleye fishing for this time of year. -I grew up fishing Woman Lake in the Longville/Hackensack area and that lake is as clear as they come. The only way we can snag some 'eyes in the summer is to fish the deep weed lines. Is that the approach I should be taking on these lakes? Does dragging rapalas across mid-lake flats produce? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin.
    • TNtoMN_HuntFish
      Ha, I've read stories about that lake being filthy. And I know about those warnings on the link you posted I just wonder if this stuff is blown out of proportion. Reason being I can't find any confirmed cases of people having mercury poisoning from eating freshwater fish. I know mercury poisoning does exist but can we really get it from fish? You'd think if we could then there would be cases down south where folks are eating catfish from the Mississippi.    We ate a few 30+" Pike during the ice season, I ate more than my wife, and I only did that from lakes that are safer according to DNR and MDH fish tissue surveys. I kept it to once a week for her and I ate the rest. I went over the one meal a week rule several times for myself, but then went a while without taking home fish while the season was closed. I'm not glowing yet haha.    I also don't understand why walleye are always the riskiest fish to eat per those surveys when Pike are above them on the food chain. 
    • h8go4s
      Surely they have a Terrova on the floor. Doesn't matter what size THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. Also, boat dealers have showrooms with all kinds of stuff mounted on boats.
    • BringAnExtension
    • monstermoose78
      Stopped in this morning and it looks like it should be good to go. 
    • ZachD
      http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/fish/eating/kidmom/index.html
    • ZachD
      The Rum has been dropping in flow and water level since the 20th from St Francis down if that helps    
    • ZachD
    • CaptJohnWis
      Fishing awful this morning. Launched at 8:30. By 12:30 had exactly two small pike. Finally found some walleyes and ended up with 22 fish - NO BASS! bummer. Water cold - only 61-64 degrees. Weather man blew it again. Walleyes in about 20 FOW, best lure Lunker City Fin-S-Fish.   New camera worked well but had troubles with new sonar/GPS. Think I got it fixed once home.   Here is today's video: June 26 video