Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert1965

extreme ice fishing camping in clam 6800 on l.o.w ?

9 posts in this topic

I have thought about this many times. I have a big buddie heater, and cots, has anybody done this what advise do you have thanks

I did it on Red about 6 years ago. Make sure the truck will start incase of an emergency. We were under the impression the fish stopped biting on LOW after dark so we went for the all night crappie bite on Red. Lots of fun but be prepared.

GO FOR IT I DO IT ALL THE UP ON THE REEFS

I can't stress enough about having enough propane! My buddy took his clam sleeper out there 4 yrs ago in February when it was 20 below. Despite them catching over 200 eyes and saugers for the 3 days, he said it wasn't worth it. He had a 28,000 btu Mr. Heater on a 20 lb tank and even with that thing crankin, the nightimes got cold. When the tank ran out, they left. Both had frostbite on their ears and fingers.

This time of year u should be fine thou, the nightimes will get chilly, especially with a big buddy in a 6800, but as long as u have a good sleeping bag, you'll be fine.

It sounds like your telling the story of my buddy and I?? Identical. I grew up in Maple Grove and fish in a clam sleeper up there. We have slept in it a couple times but it wasn't very pleasant. We left the heater off in fear of carbon manoxide poisoning and I didn't have a very good sleeping bag. When I woke up I couldn't operate my hands. Luckily my buddy had a good sleeping bag and was able to get the heater going again. It was worth it though we landed over 200 fish in a 2 and half days. If a guy had a heater with a pilot light and thermocouple on it I wouldn't worry about running the heater all night but if your using a sunflower style make sure and keep a door cracked open.

ok now im a little freaked out how long will a big Buddie run on a 20 lb tank and will that setup be ok or should I get another additional heater

bring an extra propane tank

I've been thinking about doing this for quite some time now. How about lining the inside of your portable with those tinfoil looking space blankets. Maybe just sow them together. It would defintly reflect the heat back. Just an Idea. confused.gif

No big deal. We do it every year. We fish out of the fishtraps, and sleep in the sleepers. In fact, going up on the 27th, and staying completlty portable. We just leave the trucks on shore, and venture out with all gear on wheelers and set up our base camp in the shallows for the late biting hawgs, and venture out in the day with the small houses. This will be our 3rd year doing that on LOW.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• CigarGuy
      Del,  it's on Cook, MN facebook....March 23.  Timberjay, you need a subscription to view entire story.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will collect and analyze water samples from about 90 wells in Washington County this spring. The data are being collected for the Washington County Geologic Atlas, an effort involving the Minnesota Geological Survey and the DNR’s Ecological and Water Resources Division.  DNR staff will contact county residents to request permission for well sampling, which involves collecting a water sample and measuring the depth to water in each well. Tests will profile the general chemical characteristics of area groundwater and will also show approximately how long the water has been underground. Geology, location, well depth and well construction will determine the selection of wells for sampling. Owners of sampled wells will receive a report of the laboratory results for the water sample collected from their well. Preserving the long-term quality of the region’s surface water and groundwater requires that policymakers have access to accurate information based on sound scientific principles. A county geologic atlas is a valuable tool for county planners, resource managers and other local government staff when making general planning, land use management and water resource protection decisions. The Minnesota Geological Survey has already published Part A of the atlas, which illustrates details of each county’s geology. In 2019, the DNR will publish the groundwater portion of the atlas (Part B). The Part B reports will include maps and descriptions of the distribution and movement of groundwater, cross sections illustrating groundwater conditions, and the pollution sensitivity of aquifers in the county. The DNR County Geologic Atlas program is funded in part by the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund as recommended by the Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources. Funding also comes from the Clean Water Fund, which receives 33 percent of the sales tax revenue from the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment approved by voters in November 2008. A full description of this DNR program and status reports for atlas products is available on the DNR website. For information, contact: Jim Berg, DNR hydrogeologist, 651-259-5680, jim.a.berg@state.mn.us; or Paul Putzier, DNR county geologic atlas program supervisor, 651-259-5692, paul.putzier@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • delcecchi
      I looked at cook, mn page didn't see the story.  both webpage   cookmn.com and the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CookMn/ and the cook group   https://www.facebook.com/groups/396154887224760/ Not on Timberjay site either.     You can post a link by just copy/and paste the url from the bar in your browser into your post. 
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I would say gas augers are still getting better. For example my solo engine always starts never leaks and emissions are very very low. I don't think I burned a half gallon of gas the whole winter and I drilled maybe 500 holes max still not a lot but pretty good for only using a cup or so of fuel an outing. Not saying electrics are bad but for me I just can't pull my self away from the convince of gas. Every winter I think I do give more and more respect to cordless drill or electric set ups. Well then also with this last winter we had a goo full 24 inches of ice for maybe 3 weeks this it starting melting fast
    • Wanderer
      I like the electrics too but it will be a necessity for me to finally give up my gasser for good.  One tank on it can cut many, many holes.  Batteries are expensive so I don't plan on buying extras for those days I plan to explore.   I think it was mentioned on the forums before: With the mapping apps and gps we have available now, we probably all drill fewer holes over the season than we used to.  The problem I have though is I don't repeat locations many times over the winter. Heck, not even lakes that often.  I've been carrying the gas, electric and hand auger pretty much all winter.