Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neighbor_guy

Is slower still better?

5 posts in this topic

My group is comming up first week of Jan and I was just wondering if dead stick and or bobber fishing is still out producing jigging. The guys I have talked to just comming back say slower is better.

Anyone finding more aggressive fish yet?

My son and I fished last weekend and found that jigging outfished the bobber lines 4 to 1 on Saturday and 3 to 1 on Sunday. On Sunday we used the biggest fatheads on the bobber lines and they caught the biggest fish. Walleyes from 14-16 inches and 14-15 inch sauger.

If you dont mind me asking, spoons or raps?

The hot spoon by far was a 1/8 oz. red-glow rattling varmint. We also caught fish on angel eyes, red-glow and gold, and the Lindy Rattl'n Flyer Spoon, glow -red and gold. I tried a jigging rap but no fish came by. My son had a one hit on a chubby darter but no hook up. Sometimes it hard to say what the hot bait is unless you have several baits down and the fish are only hitting on one. Many times the fish just aren't around when you are trying different baits. Some liquid scent definitely helped us. We had Berkley Walleye scent and I don't remember if I had put a little Real Craw in it also. I'd say bring some and try it.

Two of us just fished 2 1/2 days off the west end of pine island. I jigged using the vex, and my fishing partner just bobber fished. We kept track with a pad and pencil (friendly wager going of course), and it was about a 50/50 split on total fish. The nice year class of walleye in the 17" range did bite better on the jig stick though. One day the red lines would dart in fast and aggressive, and the next would be slow and uninterested. Overall the fishing had slowed down some from the previous week, but was still pretty good. We averaged 30 fish per day for the 2 of us. A slow day at LOW is still better than most other places I have fished !