• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Babblers,open or not ?

BeadyLittleEyes

I talked to Richard yesterday morning, and he was going to try to get a road out to Gull Rock after lunch. He said there was a breaker out there that was moving around a bit on him, so was trying to wait it out. There's a good 14" of ice at least out to the rock. The breaker runs all the way from over by Twin Islands up to Gull, and off to the NW. He said it quits out there quite a ways, and then starts up again heading over toward Springsteel. I'll be up there tomorrow, so I'll be able to fill you in more Thursday morning.

i got the # and called today. she said its open to gull rock.it would be nice to get to the next hump or two with my pickup...thanks.

Just wondering, did you drive out to Gull in pick-up or ??

Heading up there after X-mas, 26th or so, and hoping we can drive out by then. How's the fishing been by the rock? Also, how's Long Point, anybody driving pickups yet? Also wondering on Twin Islands, if you can get there or is the breaker too bad either from Bablers or LP and snow,how deep?

Thanks in advance...Gator

The road out to Gull Rock is in great shape. A thousand times smoother than last year. There is another small breaker to cross if you want to go on to Arneson's,12,16 etc. but there is a good 14+ inches of ice at least up to Arneson's. If you're adventurous, there are plenty of spots where you could get a vehicle across that second breaker, and the snow isn't too bad even without a plowed road. There are a fair number of shacks right at the rock, but I didn't see anything other than sleds and wheelers. We fished up at North Arneson's for a while without much luck, so we moved back toward Gull, and managed to salvage a pretty good day of fishing with a dozen or so eyes and saugers plus a perch going in the pail, along with throwing back at least that many that were a bit on the small side. We talked to people who had been everywhere from Twin Islands up to 16, and we had as good or better luck than any of them. Good luck to all. WJ

no mention of the biggest fish of the day in your brief report here?

I'm hurt, I really really am.

frown.gif

We took a 1/2 ton pickup out to Gull Rock on 12/19. The plowed road ended there. You can get around pretty much any where around there with a pickup. The ice was about 13" in our holes. The ice was good, there was no flooding from the holes from the weight of the pickup or anything. There is one bridge over a breaker, but it's easy to cross and he had the mats out so that a wheeled fishhouse should be able to get over it.

The fishing was all in all pretty good. Two of us caught 30 fish, kept a limit of nice eyes with 5 over 16". Nice eaters. We were in 24ft of water. Most of the action came around the noon hour for us. We had enough action from the little guys showing up on the Vex to prevent us from moving, but it ended up being worth staying put.

Got checked by the DNR twice in a matter of about 10 minutes.

My bad ND...........northerndave, in a feat reminiscent of any great engineering marvel, managed to land a 8-10 pound pout without tangling a single other line. I will also put in a call to the local print, radio, and television media, and set up a press conference for you. Prior to taking the podium though, you have to down at least a dozen or so of those "Champagne" beers, so they get the full effect of the story.

Golf clap..........

thank you..... thankyouvarymuch.....

the swift & deliberate extraction of the beastly tad pole from the corner hole was performed by none other than walleye jon himself. it was a nearly perfect gaff extraction performance with the judges deducting only a half a point for the smell of walleye jon's nylon pants burning against the buddy heater.

walleye jon emerged from the fish house with the trophy pout-a-conda dangling from the gaff hook, pants on fire.... and he stuck the landing.

grin.gif

Hi all! Gotta love this site for all the great information! A big thank-you to all of you! Can a pick-up get to the NW, mainly west of the rock about a mile or does the breaker run that way? Save some fish for me...lol.. Thanks again! Gator

Went out there yesterday. The road is open but only as far as Gull Rock. There's one bridge out there over a nasty looking ice heave. Managed to get 3 nice eye's around 17 inch's. The ice looked to be 16 to 18 inch's tick! 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Quote:

Hi all! Gotta love this site for all the great information! A big thank-you to all of you! Can a pick-up get to the NW, mainly west of the rock about a mile or does the breaker run that way? Save some fish for me...lol.. Thanks again! Gator

the main crack we saw has been bridged as dirt stated, I guess i didn't notice any truck traffic out there on the 20'th when we were out but I guess I can't really see why not if you just want to get west of the rock.

The road out to Gull runs on the East side and ends right past the rock. We were out on 12/19 in a 1/2 ton and there were at least 5-6 other pickups out there. We setup about 100 yards off the road. There wasn't really a crowd. We were on the NE corner.

Fished out of Bablers today, Road staked out to South Arnesens Reef, Plowed only to Gull Rock. Took 1/2 ton Chevy out all the way to South Arnesens. Talked to Dick this AM and he said his help was out to 16 Mile checking ice with a chain saw with 16" bar and didnt hit water the whole way. Things are looking good if we don't get a bunch of snow. Found 15" of ice where I was at. Fishing was good, nice limit of 16-18" 'eyes and 3 saugers that made it across the bucket. Threw back 7 or 8 nice keeper walleyes also. Quite a few dinks mixed in. Snow is not bad but it is tough going thru the drifts if pulling a bigger house. One slushy spot about 150 yards N of Gull rock. Go slow and keep your eyes open- Good Luck,

toddb