Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xHCxOutdoorsman

NEW!!

6 posts in this topic

I really want to get into fly fishing mostly dry fly and i have no idea where to start what to spend or any one to teach me so anything will help i have and old old old rod and i think i am gonna get a new one what are good brands and everything and price on them?

Thanks for all help

Check out your local fly shop, they'll be able to set you up with everything you need and give you info about your area. Most offer tying and casting classes and can give you plenty of tips for free. Also, searching through old threads in this forum can also give you some ideas, a lot of good topics for beginners have been discussed over the years.

Be careful, you may find yourself with a new addiction grin.gif

I agree with Kent, go to your local flyshop and talk to them. If you live in Lino Lakes, you can either go down to Thorne Bros/Fly Angler, or Bob Mitchell Fly Shop in Lake Elmo. Thorne Bros is a sponsor on here. Both shops have very trustworthy staff who would love to help you out.

yeah i was thinking about heading out to thorne bros. i go their for my muskie stuff and always took intrest in the fly stuff

When I first got "hooked" on fly fishing I too used an "old, old rod". I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but once I clubbed up to a new set-up, the difference was amazing. If you decide to use the old set-up, my suggestion would be to at least change the line. It will help your casting and if you decide (for some strange reason) that you don't like it, you wont be out a ton of money.

The one thing I would like to throw in here is; Don't try to go to fast. Take your time. Read about fly fishing. learn as much as you can this winter and pick up some of the gear you need. I think I can speak for alot of fly fishermen out there when I say, This is when you start getting ready for next year. Dust off the fly tying vice and see what you lost last year.

Fly fishing is being able to go slow, see what is going on around you, then getting a line wet. You can say it is a Zen thing but a lot more awesome. smile.gif

The point is don't be in a hurry to learn it all becase even the old timers are still working on that.