Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rattleL

Winter eye trip

4 posts in this topic

Hey glad to see you guys are having success on the river this fall nice eyes keep up the good work, just had a question 2 ask u guys and that is if any of u fish the minnesota in the winter i have seen guys do it by blakely and belle plain in years back but did not know if guys were still doing it and hear is the other question was wondering if anyone was going out this winter over the christmas season if they would be willing 2 take a greenhorn river ice fisherman with them, i go to college out here in Sioux Falls and play football real busy actually still have practice, jsut got started on the river this past summer fished alot and had alot of fun caught some nice cats and learned alot from river veterans i met out on the river or at accesses but was just wondering if a little trip would be in order for Christmas break, respond or shoot me an email at quintin.biermann@usiouxfalls.edu i live in Hamburg so anywhere on the river isnt a bad drive for me, until then good luck on those hog eyes

I do alot of river eye fishing in the winter, caught my biggest eye on hard river water. Christmas time however isnt usually very safe on the river at this time of year. You need some good cold temps for a week or so before it freezes up good. Try about 3 weeks later should be good in the back ups then, stay away from current, the river is never safe, can change over night.

Blakely and Belle Plaine area has completely changed with the new bridges now spanning the river. The hole under BP has been completly filled in and the river hasn't stabalized yet as to where the channel wants to go in Blakely, but is getting better. St Peter area is a good bet, but as mentioned before, the ice is never,ever safe on the river and extreme caution is a must. I myself don't venture out until the crazier fisherman have been on there at least a week and also without bringing a friend or 2 along in case something goes wrong, and more than likely you don't get a second chance with the river.

yea i figured christmas wouldnt have good ice yet but later would be good and i can always run home for a hot weekend of hot ice fishing if nothing else i always pound the cats through the ice up on horseshoe and long lakes in the winter maybe will have to arrange a little FMer get together for some ice kitties later buds