Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
GoggleEye

Ice fishing advice

GoggleEye

Hey guys, I'm new to Kab/Nam fishing as I have only been up there once. I was just wondering what some good starting points for fishing walleyes through the ice would be. Any bays, points, bars,etc. that are better producers than others. Also, any dangerous areas to stay away from?? Oh yeah, I want to stay on the Minnesota side too. Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

duckster

GoggleEye,

Just so ya know we still have open water up here on Kabetogama. Some of the back bays are freezing but most of the lake is still wide open. To answer your question about ice fishing, I would start at the mouth of the Ash River (where it comes out of Sulivan Bay) it is usually the most reliable early season spot. Also the mouth of Lost Lake, straight across from the Ash River Visitor Center,is a good spot. The best way to access both spots is to drive to the Ash River Visitor Center and walk out from the boat ramp. Unless we get some cold, still nights real soon it may be awhile before we have enough ice to fish on. Hope this helps,

-duckster

Neiko

How are the smaller lakes doing for ice? We were thinking of coming up around the 14-15 of Dec and try some early ice.

duckster

Neiko,

Not sure about the smaller lakes but I am taking a road trip on Sunday and will give you a report when I get back. There are below zero temps forcasted for next week so we should start making some ice.

-Duckster

Neiko

Duckster, Thanks alot and I will be looking forward to your report.

duckster

Neiko,

Looks like most of the small lakes up here are frozen over. I went by Ash, Pelican, Crane, Mytle and Elephant and they were all frozen over. I did not see anyone veturing out on the ice yet, which is probably a good thing. It is impossible to tell but, I would bet that by the time you get up here the ice will be thick enough to fish on. Be careful and have fun,

- Duckster

Neiko

Duckster, thanks so much. We plan on hitting some small ones between Elephant and Crane. Hopefully we will be able to ride the wheelers out by then. If you could give me an update later I would really appreciate it.

Neiko

GoggleEye

Thanks for the help duckster. The Ash River Visitor center area is actually the area I am most familiar with, so that helps out a lot. Do you usually use shiners, suckers, or chubs for walleyes on Kab? I am more of a sucker fan due to their survival strength compared to other minnows, but if shiners or chubs are the key, that would be helpful. Also, do you know if elbow lake is good for ice fishing? I love that lake but have never fished it in winter. Thanks.

GoggleEye

guts

Goggleye, gear up like Raindaze advised you, just pick a lake and the structure you like to fish. Fatheads is your best all around bait, sucker minnows used in these parts more for pike. guts

GoggleEye

Will do. Thanks guts. Be safe out there guys/gals. Good Luck to you all!

GoggleEye

Big Jeff

Any reports as of late, I herd the narows are doing alright. I have used lots of buckshots and flu flus any other favs?

guts

B Jeff, I forgot to mention, they are getting a little crappie action down that way, ask Robbie when at Frontier, he may have some updates. Lloyd is there either fishing or checking anglers nearly everyday.

Big Jeff

That doen't supprise me at all. I am actually going fishing with Robbie on Friday. I will be up all weekend if you see a portable purple otter house with Jeff on the lisence stop in and say hi. Good luck on the ice out there!