• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice fishing advice

Hey guys, I'm new to Kab/Nam fishing as I have only been up there once. I was just wondering what some good starting points for fishing walleyes through the ice would be. Any bays, points, bars,etc. that are better producers than others. Also, any dangerous areas to stay away from?? Oh yeah, I want to stay on the Minnesota side too. Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

GoggleEye,

Just so ya know we still have open water up here on Kabetogama. Some of the back bays are freezing but most of the lake is still wide open. To answer your question about ice fishing, I would start at the mouth of the Ash River (where it comes out of Sulivan Bay) it is usually the most reliable early season spot. Also the mouth of Lost Lake, straight across from the Ash River Visitor Center,is a good spot. The best way to access both spots is to drive to the Ash River Visitor Center and walk out from the boat ramp. Unless we get some cold, still nights real soon it may be awhile before we have enough ice to fish on. Hope this helps,

-duckster

How are the smaller lakes doing for ice? We were thinking of coming up around the 14-15 of Dec and try some early ice.

Neiko,

Not sure about the smaller lakes but I am taking a road trip on Sunday and will give you a report when I get back. There are below zero temps forcasted for next week so we should start making some ice.

-Duckster

Neiko,

Looks like most of the small lakes up here are frozen over. I went by Ash, Pelican, Crane, Mytle and Elephant and they were all frozen over. I did not see anyone veturing out on the ice yet, which is probably a good thing. It is impossible to tell but, I would bet that by the time you get up here the ice will be thick enough to fish on. Be careful and have fun,

- Duckster

Duckster, thanks so much. We plan on hitting some small ones between Elephant and Crane. Hopefully we will be able to ride the wheelers out by then. If you could give me an update later I would really appreciate it.

Neiko

Thanks for the help duckster. The Ash River Visitor center area is actually the area I am most familiar with, so that helps out a lot. Do you usually use shiners, suckers, or chubs for walleyes on Kab? I am more of a sucker fan due to their survival strength compared to other minnows, but if shiners or chubs are the key, that would be helpful. Also, do you know if elbow lake is good for ice fishing? I love that lake but have never fished it in winter. Thanks.

GoggleEye

Goggleye, gear up like Raindaze advised you, just pick a lake and the structure you like to fish. Fatheads is your best all around bait, sucker minnows used in these parts more for pike. guts

Will do. Thanks guts. Be safe out there guys/gals. Good Luck to you all!

GoggleEye

• 1 month later...

Any reports as of late, I herd the narows are doing alright. I have used lots of buckshots and flu flus any other favs?

B Jeff, I forgot to mention, they are getting a little crappie action down that way, ask Robbie when at Frontier, he may have some updates. Lloyd is there either fishing or checking anglers nearly everyday.

That doen't supprise me at all. I am actually going fishing with Robbie on Friday. I will be up all weekend if you see a portable purple otter house with Jeff on the lisence stop in and say hi. Good luck on the ice out there!