Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjbassmaster

White Bass

7 posts in this topic

Are there any white bass in the mn river by new ulm? If so what are the best tactics for them.

Yes there certainly are, and some quite nice ones at that. My best luck has been a jig with a plastic 3" or 4" grub style body tipped with a fathead. The white bass seem to like the presentation a little faster and more aggressive than those bottom feeding 'eyes. Color has not been important, find the current breaks and bait fish - you will find bass.

Thanks deadwood and I got 1 more question are there any particular spots that usually produce more fish then others.

tjbassmaster-

I wish that was an easy question to answer. Do to the nature of the river- high water levels & low water levels, swift current & slow current, and all the variables the combination of the two create, the pattern constantly changes and adjusts.

The guys who I know who have been fishing walleyes have been chasing their tail around all fall. When they find a good bite, it isn't there next time they are out. They find a spot that doesn't hold fish, and they catch a few there on the next trip. A spot that is good one weekend, is not good the next weekend. The traditional spots are not producing. Its like a trip to a new river everytime out for them because of the changing conditions.

I'm talking walleyes but the whities won't be far away, or mixed in. Its been a tough fall with the dropping river levels.

Hanson hit the nail on the head. About all I can tell you on where to find them is.........in the water.

We did get on the water on Sunday and found the White Bass relating very tight to current seams. When I say tight, it was that first 5' of slack water on the inside of the swift current. They were right on the seam.

Most creeks we checked out were devoid of life. Lots of bait... no fish.

I caught some on plastics (Ringworms), some on jig & minnow, and one on a vertically jigged Chubby Darter. I don't think I've ever had a fish hit so hard as that White hitting that Chubby. Wow! Was about a 16 incher.

o that makes sense now that i think about it. i have never fished any rivers before and i have no idea on where to start so this will be a all new challege for me. i am usually fishing lakes and they don't change that much from day to day.