Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Advance Warning

12 posts in this topic

All this water is going to be a nightmare in the spring. The good news is that I should be able to troll from mid-trail to town there by not wasting valuable fishing time driving. I'll have to read up on fishing walleyes in the timber though.

Your going to look like Devils lake pretty quick. A guy should just about be able to do the cast and blast and never move the boat. Walleyes on the left side and moose on the right.

Any more mystery fish up there?

I heard the Gunflint River had a good run of smelt last night.

Gunflint:

How much rain have you been getting and what are the lake levels like? When I was last up to Northern Light Lake in Ontario in early September, it was the lowest that I had seen. We did get a couple of inches late that week and I had heard that there were a couple of big rain days since, but wasn't quite sure how much had fallen.

Thanks,

GoNorth

My buddy across the lake (between Ely and Babbitt) had 19.5 inches between Sept. 7 and Oct. 8. We've had better than 2.5 since then. Lakes are high, swamps are high, basements are high! blush.gif

I believe that we've had something over 25 inches in 5 weeks. This truly is Gods country. Right out of the bible. Fire in May floods in October. The only thing missing is locus, although I imagine that army worms will be back soon.

Steve, about 3 days after you left a guest caught a 12 crappie. Maybe just maybe. grin.gif

Oh nooo don't mention the army worms.. Yuck!!! isn't it every 7 years they come... i been away for some years so i lost track, when are they do?

Crunch crunch under tires,, and i my house turns a dark color for awhile too

Quote:

The only thing missing is locus, although I imagine that army worms will be back soon.

You mean that you guys didn't get the grass hoppers? grin.gif

I took a drive up to grand marais yesterday and the rivers were unbelievable!

lots of gawkers too.

there were even spots where the water was bubbling up through the cracks in the surface!

I could tell by the high water marks that the water had gone down quite a bit in the ditches.

some places it was still flowing over the roads as well.

this has got to bring the water level in ol gitchie gumie up considerably.

At the end of Sept, I saw a blurb on the news that said the lake hit a record low for the month and that over 6 TRILLION gallons of water would get it back up to "normal". I cannot fathom that amount of water, but all the rain definatly helps. How many gallons are in an inch of rain spread over the Lake Superior Watershed? Anyone? blush.gif

For every square mile of land that one inch of rain falls on equals 17.38 millon gallons of water. Let's figure the watershed of LS is,around 20,000 sq miles (roughly a fourth of the size of MN) but you have to count in WI and Canada and Michigan. Let's say 30,000 sq miles and I think that's conservative. Even with a 17.38 times a avg of 6-7 inches of rain over that large an area times 30,000 is nowhere near a thousand billion which is a trillon. I doubt you will notice olde Gichi going up this year or next-- but maybe in the far future as it takes a gallon of water coming in to Lake Superior on avg 60 years to exit through the locks into Lake Huron,,, which means our current low levels are not from current drought but from low precip levels during the late 30's and 40's.

Mud

I must also add that off that 17.38 ,,, not all of that runs off--- only in severe flooding with ground fully saturated,, even then some is lost to evaporation.

Mud