• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

All this water is going to be a nightmare in the spring. The good news is that I should be able to troll from mid-trail to town there by not wasting valuable fishing time driving. I'll have to read up on fishing walleyes in the timber though.

Your going to look like Devils lake pretty quick. A guy should just about be able to do the cast and blast and never move the boat. Walleyes on the left side and moose on the right.

Any more mystery fish up there?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I heard the Gunflint River had a good run of smelt last night.

Gunflint:

How much rain have you been getting and what are the lake levels like? When I was last up to Northern Light Lake in Ontario in early September, it was the lowest that I had seen. We did get a couple of inches late that week and I had heard that there were a couple of big rain days since, but wasn't quite sure how much had fallen.

Thanks,

GoNorth

My buddy across the lake (between Ely and Babbitt) had 19.5 inches between Sept. 7 and Oct. 8. We've had better than 2.5 since then. Lakes are high, swamps are high, basements are high! blush.gif

I believe that we've had something over 25 inches in 5 weeks. This truly is Gods country. Right out of the bible. Fire in May floods in October. The only thing missing is locus, although I imagine that army worms will be back soon.

Steve, about 3 days after you left a guest caught a 12 crappie. Maybe just maybe. grin.gif

Oh nooo don't mention the army worms.. Yuck!!! isn't it every 7 years they come... i been away for some years so i lost track, when are they do?

Crunch crunch under tires,, and i my house turns a dark color for awhile too

Quote:

The only thing missing is locus, although I imagine that army worms will be back soon.

You mean that you guys didn't get the grass hoppers? grin.gif

I took a drive up to grand marais yesterday and the rivers were unbelievable!

lots of gawkers too.

there were even spots where the water was bubbling up through the cracks in the surface!

I could tell by the high water marks that the water had gone down quite a bit in the ditches.

some places it was still flowing over the roads as well.

this has got to bring the water level in ol gitchie gumie up considerably.

At the end of Sept, I saw a blurb on the news that said the lake hit a record low for the month and that over 6 TRILLION gallons of water would get it back up to "normal". I cannot fathom that amount of water, but all the rain definatly helps. How many gallons are in an inch of rain spread over the Lake Superior Watershed? Anyone? blush.gif

For every square mile of land that one inch of rain falls on equals 17.38 millon gallons of water. Let's figure the watershed of LS is,around 20,000 sq miles (roughly a fourth of the size of MN) but you have to count in WI and Canada and Michigan. Let's say 30,000 sq miles and I think that's conservative. Even with a 17.38 times a avg of 6-7 inches of rain over that large an area times 30,000 is nowhere near a thousand billion which is a trillon. I doubt you will notice olde Gichi going up this year or next-- but maybe in the far future as it takes a gallon of water coming in to Lake Superior on avg 60 years to exit through the locks into Lake Huron,,, which means our current low levels are not from current drought but from low precip levels during the late 30's and 40's.

Mud

I must also add that off that 17.38 ,,, not all of that runs off--- only in severe flooding with ground fully saturated,, even then some is lost to evaporation.

Mud

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.