• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First on the fly

badfish

Caught my first decent smallie on a fly rod today, wow it put up a heck of a fight. I was using a black wooly bugger of course. I took a quick pic with my cellphone it turned out better then i thought it would.

But man am I hooked! Now when i go fishing I grab the long rod and leave the spinning gear at home, lol.

[image]smallie.jpg[/image]

That is a very nice smallie! They are a blast to catch on the long rod.

Can't go wrong with black buggers.

I went out again yesterday morning with no luck until I switched to a size 14 nymph and on the first cast I thought I snagged something. Nope it started kicking and it took off like a freight train bending my 6wt in half. I finally got it up to where I could see it and it was an 8-9lb carp. About 5 minutes later I thought I had her tired out enough and I started putting the pressure on her and SNAP! I broke my tippet........I was sooooo disapointed mad.gif. My arm is still a little sore from that guy but it was fun.

Carp on the fly are a blast. I target them occasionally, and their not an easy catch...hooking, or landing.

quit making me jealous! nice going. I was hoping to go roughfishing on my day off on Friday, but it looks like rain. maybe I'll bring the raingear if there's no lightning.

hopefully that carp got you hooked on fly fishing for roughies. it is addicting grin.gif