Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob/Mn

Panfish flies

6 posts in this topic

I tie several panfish flies that work well. The problem I have been having is the flies comming apart.

This happens when dubbing bodies and palmering hackle. The fish pull the hair from the thread and it ends up in the bend of the hook. The hackle seems to break in the middle of the body. The bodies seem tight and will not spin on the hook.

Usually the flies last through 25-30 fish. Maybe I am expecting to much from the materials, but it would be nice to find a more durable pattern. Of coures this is better than repacing two or three plastic bodies on a jig head.

Has anyone else solved a simular problem?

The materials a fly is tied out of are not that strong. You can tie the tightest bodies and they still will not withstand the abuse. I would say if you are getting 30 fish on a fly, before it breaks down, you are doing good.

a couple of suggestions that may help a bit ...

-- put some head cement on the shank before dubbing your body

-- use chenile rather than dubbing for the body

-- counter wind the body and hackle with thin wire (a strand of copper from a lamp cord works great).

-- take pride in thos mangled flies as a sign of your success!

alot of times those chewed up flys work just as good as new ones for panfish...

Quote:

alot of times those chewed up flys work just as good as new ones for panfish...

I have found this to be true. It seems that the panfish like fuzzy globs also.

Much thanks to one and all for the info.

good advice was given. I was going to suggest more head cement (fleaxament works well in these situations), and to wrap wire over the palmered hackle, in the opposite direction.