Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
DRH1175

Do you carry a side arm?

DRH1175    0
DRH1175

Those who bear hunt do you carry a side arm while bow hunting and what is it. Am thinking of getting one for future hunts What do you all like? Can you legally carry like a 45 auto?

tealitup    1
tealitup

I do believe if you carry a side arm while bear hunting it must be a legal caliber for taking big game. This would be the 44, 357, 10mm's.

Grant Pearson    0
Grant Pearson

Quote:

Those who bear hunt do you carry a side arm while bow hunting and what is it. Am thinking of getting one for future hunts What do you all like? Can you legally carry like a 45 auto?

If you're carrying a sidearm while bow hunting for bear, regardless of what the law says is legal (always carry a legal pistol caliber), but you're going to want something that will deter an angry, more than likely wounded bear from continuing to charge, or to easily finish the job. I would suggest nothing smaller than a .357 magnum, but personally feel more comfortable with a pistol in the .44 range on up. It;s going to be big enough and powerful enough to get the job done. Yes, they will bark more, and will cost more, but personally would pay that extra little bit for ammo and start up cost than have to pay the hospital bill after a bear follows through with a charge because my sidearm wasn't big enough.

harvey lee    13
harvey lee

When I have went bear hunting with a bow, I carried a .40 cal or 10mm just incase something went wrong. Never needed it.

Boar    42
Boar

yes, all the time. 44 mag. boar

Random guy    1
Random guy

Only when tracking of creeping around the baits in the dark. Wounded bear along with the Sow cub combo could make for a interesting ordeal.

DitchPickle13    0
DitchPickle13

Now don't anyone attack me for advocating a smaller caliber because I'm not, but I'm just throwing this out there(for the record, I have a .357 that will be on my side for bear tracking).

If a guy doesn't have a big game caliber, but has something like a .45 auto/9mm/.40 and a Pistol Carry Permit, he would be legal in the woods with the gun while archery hunting for bear, correct? I know of guys in that situation that would rather have their carry gun than nothing.

??? Food for thought. wink.gif

SkitterPopper    0
SkitterPopper

DP13,

You are correct. You do not have to carry a legal gun into the woods. I carry a Glock17 while bear hunting. It is a confidence thing. Anyway, I would like to see a bear charge through 17 9mm hollow points. wink.gif

Shack    16
Shack

The one thing that has been brought up when hunting up north in my group at past hunts is the legal issue of a concealed side arm. Now mind you, I am grouse hunting with a 4 wheeler, to get to deep spots. One can not carry side arm on him self while on 4 wheeler. You have to have in case, unloaded, like ones fire arm for hunting. I could be wrong about my info, but I thought there were some rules about carrying side arms in a holster while hunting. I figure if one can not carry gun legaly in holster (open view), it kinda defeats the purpose of carring a side arm. Bear pops out and you have to unzip case, then load and fire gun.

I have not thought about this for some time now, so I hope someone can put out a clearer explanation of were I am trying to go.

Nothing beets a feel of a side arm though, while hunting!

cool.gif

Surface Tension    265
Surface Tension

Any firearm or bow will need to be unloaded and cased while in transport.

The exception is if you have a permit to carry. Then the firearm can be loaded, uncased, and open carry or concealed.

Ufatz    0
Ufatz

Hey Skitter....if you have seen a fully mature Brown Bear take three hits from a .375 and then two from a .458 before going down HARD you might consider that a handfull of puny little 9mm's might only have p-----d him off some more. grin.gif

Shack    16
Shack

Surface,

Thanks for clearing that up!

I have been thinking of signing up for those classes, I have heard you get a free lunch with one they put on in Nowthen grin.gif

Get it now, while the gett'in is good!

Grant Pearson    0
Grant Pearson

I know that there's a difference between the bears here in MN and in Alaska, but 2 or 3 years ago, an Alaskan Forestry guy was deer hunting in Alaska and was charged by a brown bear. He was carrying a 7mm Remington Mag., and it took 12 rounds from the 7mm before finally "giving up the ghost." Granted, he dropped before that, but still.....12 rounds from a 7mm mag. And after an autopsy, he had 4 rounds from a .38 special 2 days before getting killed from charging and eating two hikers. All I'm saying is some bears won't give up easy.

Shack    16
Shack

kingfisher1,

I think you are talking about the "Big Bear". The one that is suposed to mounted in Int. airport in Ancorage.

There are a lot of loop holes in that story. It has been going around on internet and the story changes every time.

It could of been 1-2 short that turned into 12. You never know!

boatfixer    0
boatfixer

Large heavy bullets propelled by a large amount of gunpowder, from a reliable and accurate handgun. And try not to soil yourself wink.gif however, no matter what caliber, you must be comfortable with the gun.

SkitterPopper    0
SkitterPopper

Quote:

Hey Skitter....if you have seen a fully mature Brown Bear take three hits from a .375 and then two from a .458 before going down HARD you might consider that a handfull of puny little 9mm's might only have p-----d him off some more

Except that I hunt in Minnesota, where there are only Black Bears. I guess I am saying what others have said on here, it is what you are comfortable with. I think I will be safe in Minnesota but thanks for the concern. Now on the other hand, if I were to go out west or to Alaska I would rethink my opinion. smirk.gif

Neiko    1
Neiko

I muzzleload and carry a Glock 10mm with 15 rd clip just in case.

Just to clarify your post Surface Tension the firearm cannot be a longarm and has to be a pistol.