• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do you carry a side arm?

DRH1175

Those who bear hunt do you carry a side arm while bow hunting and what is it. Am thinking of getting one for future hunts What do you all like? Can you legally carry like a 45 auto?

I do believe if you carry a side arm while bear hunting it must be a legal caliber for taking big game. This would be the 44, 357, 10mm's.

Quote:

Those who bear hunt do you carry a side arm while bow hunting and what is it. Am thinking of getting one for future hunts What do you all like? Can you legally carry like a 45 auto?

If you're carrying a sidearm while bow hunting for bear, regardless of what the law says is legal (always carry a legal pistol caliber), but you're going to want something that will deter an angry, more than likely wounded bear from continuing to charge, or to easily finish the job. I would suggest nothing smaller than a .357 magnum, but personally feel more comfortable with a pistol in the .44 range on up. It;s going to be big enough and powerful enough to get the job done. Yes, they will bark more, and will cost more, but personally would pay that extra little bit for ammo and start up cost than have to pay the hospital bill after a bear follows through with a charge because my sidearm wasn't big enough.

When I have went bear hunting with a bow, I carried a .40 cal or 10mm just incase something went wrong. Never needed it.

Only when tracking of creeping around the baits in the dark. Wounded bear along with the Sow cub combo could make for a interesting ordeal.

Now don't anyone attack me for advocating a smaller caliber because I'm not, but I'm just throwing this out there(for the record, I have a .357 that will be on my side for bear tracking).

If a guy doesn't have a big game caliber, but has something like a .45 auto/9mm/.40 and a Pistol Carry Permit, he would be legal in the woods with the gun while archery hunting for bear, correct? I know of guys in that situation that would rather have their carry gun than nothing.

??? Food for thought. wink.gif

DP13,

You are correct. You do not have to carry a legal gun into the woods. I carry a Glock17 while bear hunting. It is a confidence thing. Anyway, I would like to see a bear charge through 17 9mm hollow points. wink.gif

The one thing that has been brought up when hunting up north in my group at past hunts is the legal issue of a concealed side arm. Now mind you, I am grouse hunting with a 4 wheeler, to get to deep spots. One can not carry side arm on him self while on 4 wheeler. You have to have in case, unloaded, like ones fire arm for hunting. I could be wrong about my info, but I thought there were some rules about carrying side arms in a holster while hunting. I figure if one can not carry gun legaly in holster (open view), it kinda defeats the purpose of carring a side arm. Bear pops out and you have to unzip case, then load and fire gun.

I have not thought about this for some time now, so I hope someone can put out a clearer explanation of were I am trying to go.

Nothing beets a feel of a side arm though, while hunting!

cool.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Any firearm or bow will need to be unloaded and cased while in transport.

The exception is if you have a permit to carry. Then the firearm can be loaded, uncased, and open carry or concealed.

Hey Skitter....if you have seen a fully mature Brown Bear take three hits from a .375 and then two from a .458 before going down HARD you might consider that a handfull of puny little 9mm's might only have p-----d him off some more. grin.gif

Surface,

Thanks for clearing that up!

I have been thinking of signing up for those classes, I have heard you get a free lunch with one they put on in Nowthen grin.gif

Get it now, while the gett'in is good!

I know that there's a difference between the bears here in MN and in Alaska, but 2 or 3 years ago, an Alaskan Forestry guy was deer hunting in Alaska and was charged by a brown bear. He was carrying a 7mm Remington Mag., and it took 12 rounds from the 7mm before finally "giving up the ghost." Granted, he dropped before that, but still.....12 rounds from a 7mm mag. And after an autopsy, he had 4 rounds from a .38 special 2 days before getting killed from charging and eating two hikers. All I'm saying is some bears won't give up easy.

kingfisher1,

I think you are talking about the "Big Bear". The one that is suposed to mounted in Int. airport in Ancorage.

There are a lot of loop holes in that story. It has been going around on internet and the story changes every time.

It could of been 1-2 short that turned into 12. You never know!

Large heavy bullets propelled by a large amount of gunpowder, from a reliable and accurate handgun. And try not to soil yourself wink.gif however, no matter what caliber, you must be comfortable with the gun.

Quote:

Hey Skitter....if you have seen a fully mature Brown Bear take three hits from a .375 and then two from a .458 before going down HARD you might consider that a handfull of puny little 9mm's might only have p-----d him off some more

Except that I hunt in Minnesota, where there are only Black Bears. I guess I am saying what others have said on here, it is what you are comfortable with. I think I will be safe in Minnesota but thanks for the concern. Now on the other hand, if I were to go out west or to Alaska I would rethink my opinion. smirk.gif

I muzzleload and carry a Glock 10mm with 15 rd clip just in case.

Just to clarify your post Surface Tension the firearm cannot be a longarm and has to be a pistol.