Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcon

Pepin Reports

7 posts in this topic

Anyone been out targeting smallies lately. I went out with a guy last Thursday and split time fishing for some walleyes and I took him smallie fishing for a bit. We didn't catch any smallies, only a bite or 2. Has it been slow for smallies lately. Thanks mad.gif

Fished 8/25 for walleyes. Had no luck except ruff fish. Trolled lead-core and planner boards with walley divers, shad raps, and a few other baits. Trolled by Ericksons Point and Point no Point. Stayed in the 20' area.

Fished on 8/25 hoping too find some crappies, but the walleyes more than surprised us. Here is our count for the day. 30 walleyes, 10 keepers. 5 saugers. 6 crappies. About 30 smallies, none legal. 5 catfish. And we figured about 60 bluegills, some real bulls mixed in there. The walleyes pretty much were all caught trolling and were all caught in less than 2 hours. Everything else caught on jigs/ half a crawler. We were running out of crawlers so fast we decided too troll a bit and it paid off. A piece of advice, leadline not needed. Maybe some people are having luck with it but the fish we found were anything but deep. I don't know if we hit the right day or if there is some consitency too this or not.

What depths did you catch the walleyes in? Any certain colors that seemed to work better than others?

I was out both Sunday and Monday morning looking for some walleye this weekend. We found plenty of them but nothing really worth bragging about. They were all in the 14" range. We were pulling Rapalas in 6-8'fow. When we got a little deeper the 10-13' range we were catching white bass in the 2 - 3lb range. They are fun to catch thats for sure especially on the pan fish rod.

I trolled for walleyes over this past weekend and did farely well. I also hit many schools of whitebass.. It was fun!

I went out with my boys this morning and enjoyed a great top water bite for the smallies.... We had 3 fish in the boat within the first 10 minutes... I would say 25-30 all together... once the wind picked up it was more difficult to fish... We had some good fish boated and boy are they fun on top water baits... I don't know how to post pics on this forum or I could show you a few.... surface water temp between 61 and 63 degrees... Tight lines... Rob