Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rather_B_Fishing

A few questions

3 posts in this topic

I have fished Mille Lacs quite a bit. If anyone has any questions about Mille Lacs, let me know.

That being said, I'll be coming up to the Lake of the Woods the weekend of 8/17 - 8/19. I have a 17' 8" long, 95" wide boat with a 115 hp motor. I'll be staying in Zippel Bay State Park. Mainly I'll be targeting walleyes and saugers, but will fish for pike as well (if eyes are slow). As this will be my first time fishing LOW in open water, I have a few questions:

1) Where can I pick up a quality paper lake map?

2) What general areas (rock reefs, mud, etc.) would you expect to be productive on 8/17?

3) I do not have down riggers or lead core. Besides those, what techniques would you use then (lindy rigs, crawler harness attached to bottom bouncer, slip bobber, pulling cranks, etc.)?

4) How far would I have to go out onto the lake to find these areas?

Thanks.

I'll answer in order.

1. map - get a lakemaster map - if you can get the chip for GPS get it --> it will help with #2&3

2. Location - I'd go with rocks primarily, fish will be there.

3. Technique - I call them the big three, cranks, jigs, spinners.

For cranks spool up with 10 or 14# fireline and pull TDD11's or RR800's 130-160ft @~2.5mph around reef edges.

Jigs, well are jigs, in the last week I have used leeches, half crawlers, gulp minows, frozen shiners and when they are piled up they seem to eat them all.

Bouncers & Spinners, either drifting of pulling.

4. How far? pretty close or far away, if you are comfortable on Mille Lacs, you will be fine on LOTW. Just common sense.

Just remember on LOTW you do not need to get as "cute" presentation wise as Mille Lacs, LOTW is more about finding fish, than tricking them into biting.

KING,

Thanks so much for the reply. I took your advise and did a little shopping to get the items you mentioned. Hopefully the fish cooperate.