Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
steffanf

Summer pike in the metro area...

steffanf

Anyone know of a good lake to get into some pike in August around the metro area? I do alright on the bass, but the pike have been eluding me now. Still, I hear of people still running into pike all the time during this season on this forum. Seems like alot of lakes are loosing their water clarity this time of year (algae and the like), not to mention the very warm water this summer. If I ran into a good number of fish in the 16-24" range, I would be happy. I release everything, so my intention is just the sport of it. I have a boat and would also prefer something on the south or west side of the metro area, but I guess everything is possible. If anyone feels like they should contact me offline, I can be reached at: steffanf@hotmail.com

-Gregg B.

TurnUpTheFishing

I wont say lake names but I will say pike are a cool water fish they dont thrive well in warm water. In summer big pike like to move off shore to deeper water so you probably will only get the dinks in the shallows. When you do run into a biggun try to land them quick and get them back in quick with water temps as high as they are now the fish get stressed out easily.

JBMasterAngler

If you don't mind the $5 fee then minnewashta is loaded with pike in that size range.

steffanf

Is the water clarity in Minnewashta still good this time of year? I heard about this Lake and I thought I might try it sometime.

-Gregg B.

Doonbuggy

Minnewashta is fairly green this year. Usually the clarity is quite a bit better. My only guess is that it's turning green b/c of the warm weather.

Great lake for small pike. Set up in 8-12'and cast away over the weeds. I like spinnerbaits personally b/c they hit the bait hard and it's nice to have to remove only one hook.

You'll get hit for sure and probably pick up a few bass as well.

They come right in that 16-24" range and frankly the pike herd needs to be thinned out so keep a few! grin.gif

An infusion of perch is what's needed to get them bigger.

DB

DonBo

Try any of the springs or cooler streams that dump into the St. Croix River north of Stillwater.

Grant Pearson

Baled Eagle has been producing pike for me this summer. I've been catching them on spinnerbaits and topwaters.

JiggingSpoon

I would second Lake Minnewashta. That is just loaded with 16-22" pike, i have had many 20 fish nights out there. Just troll the 12-15 foot depths with some kind of crankbait. Along the park beach to the water ski buoys works well. Shouldn't be a problem catching a bunch. Good Luck!!

JS

Grant Pearson

going out Saturday to see what's biting. Hopefully should be fun!

JDZWART

Has anyone fished Minnewashta or Virginia in Carver county? I know they used to have tons of small northerns, but I have not been to either lake in several years.

HossFisher

Fished on Minnewashta from the pier yesterday, first time i have fished there without a boat. Only had one hit on a spinnerbait. Threw everything i had in the tackle box and couldn't get anything going.

toonfish

Finally found a few pike on Prior, have never found any in the summer, but last sat. night 34 in ,and 2 at 25-28 in

EBass

Cripes - plenty of lakes with pike. Medicine is loaded, Tonka of course, Lake Sara too, but not many parking spots so go EARLY.

Heck on Tues going for bass on Tonka we caught 4 pike using bass jig in the milfoil around 4-6' of the greener weeds. Also on the lily pad edges caught one (bout 4lbs or so) and lost one on the next cast as it ripped the jig skirt off. Dang pike mad.gif

steffanf

I can tell you that Virginia was terrible yesterday. The water is quite dirty, maybe 1' visibility. The carp rolling around all of the shallows probably doesn't help that situation either.

-Gregg B.

manmountain

Try Mt. Normandale in Bloomington. Pike average 4-7 lbs and my biggest this year were 34" and 31". Caught a 40"er there years ago. Good Luck.