Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EatSleepFish

Log Jams

6 posts in this topic

I was fishing a local creek last night, and the main type of cover for the bigger trout seemed to be the log jams where the river bends and the logs from spring runoff pile upon each other and make massive, and often intimidating places for even the expert fly-rodder to efficiently fish. Well, I tried a muddler minnow for most of the night, but i kept on snagging on limbs of trees and constantly having to break off, thus resulting in spooked fish mad.gif. My question for you is how do you go about fly-rodding these fly stealing log jams in order to get some of the biggest trout in the creeks that live there.

I've seen some flys with mono or lite wire weed guards. They'd be pretty easy to put on just about any fly. Then use about a 6lb. flourocarbon tipet and do bassmaster job on'em. I've never tried it, but that's how bass guys "go in" to get them in the crap.

I'm just learning and getting a little confidence in dry flys. Fishing and tying. This fly fishing stuff is really fun!

I use a long rod, 9ft and some 8# flourcarbon. Carefully sneak up(you can get very close) and dapple a streamer or big nymph around the cover. They will come out like a torpedo and turn to go right back in, ya gotta try and turn em right away. Iv'e gotten some browns to 20 inches doing this...

It's a lot tougher to out muscle those big browns with a fly rod, but I'd think a 7 or 8 wt rod would also help.

You could also try adding the monofilament weedguard or two to your flies. I've tied them into some of my smallie flies and they work pretty good. Not great, but ok.

How about "skating" a Caddis up to the logs, at least if your skaing your fly you dont have to worry about drag....