Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobS_Rogers

Coming to Crane on 7/28

4 posts in this topic

I am heading to Nelson's resort on Crane Lake in a week. My wife's family goes up every year and we are joining them this year. I have been looking at maps and was wondering which lake everyone thought I should focus my efforts in, Crane, Sand Point, Nam or Kab? Also would I have better luck during the day or at night. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I am normally a bass fisherman (I am an Indiana import), but would like to get into some walleye. Also what are the lake levels this year? I heard that they were down last year and was just curious. Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers that people have.

Bob

I just got back from Nelsons on Friday. I have been up there the past 4 summers around this time. So here is what I found:

Walleye- must have wind or fish early or late I got up at 4:45 each morning and on my spots by 5:45. I did best using a floating jig head and crawler running off a bottom bouncer using a crawler or leech and a 3-4 ft snell. If the wind was up 11-13ft worked otherwise 14-23ft. I fished main lake humps in Sand Point and Namakan. I would pick 2-3 fish off and move on. i did see some people do well trolling over 40-60ft depths for suspended walleye 50-200yds off the main lake humps.

I primarily fished smallmouth. Main lake humps produced large number so of fish sight fishing surface feeding smallies whent he wind was calm using walk the dog style top water minnows. 20-40 fish mornings were not uncommon some fish going 20 inches. I found that other top water minnow baits worked but nothing produced as much as a strike king variety that you could walk quickly over the top. When the wind picked up fishing husky jerks and the flotating jig/crawler combo I mentioned worked well on the humps. I did not fish Crane Lake mostly Namakan and Sand Point both sides of the border.

Thanks for the great report Tuco! I assumed that we would be Lindy rigging, just was not sure how deep they were going to be. What were the lake levels like? Are they normal or are they down because of the drought? Thanks again for the great report, I will let you know how we do after we get back..

Bob

Lake levels are right where they should be. Just right to hide all the rocks! Be careful and don't rely on your GPS too much.