• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BobS_Rogers

Coming to Crane on 7/28

BobS_Rogers

I am heading to Nelson's resort on Crane Lake in a week. My wife's family goes up every year and we are joining them this year. I have been looking at maps and was wondering which lake everyone thought I should focus my efforts in, Crane, Sand Point, Nam or Kab? Also would I have better luck during the day or at night. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I am normally a bass fisherman (I am an Indiana import), but would like to get into some walleye. Also what are the lake levels this year? I heard that they were down last year and was just curious. Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers that people have.

Bob

Tuco

I just got back from Nelsons on Friday. I have been up there the past 4 summers around this time. So here is what I found:

Walleye- must have wind or fish early or late I got up at 4:45 each morning and on my spots by 5:45. I did best using a floating jig head and crawler running off a bottom bouncer using a crawler or leech and a 3-4 ft snell. If the wind was up 11-13ft worked otherwise 14-23ft. I fished main lake humps in Sand Point and Namakan. I would pick 2-3 fish off and move on. i did see some people do well trolling over 40-60ft depths for suspended walleye 50-200yds off the main lake humps.

I primarily fished smallmouth. Main lake humps produced large number so of fish sight fishing surface feeding smallies whent he wind was calm using walk the dog style top water minnows. 20-40 fish mornings were not uncommon some fish going 20 inches. I found that other top water minnow baits worked but nothing produced as much as a strike king variety that you could walk quickly over the top. When the wind picked up fishing husky jerks and the flotating jig/crawler combo I mentioned worked well on the humps. I did not fish Crane Lake mostly Namakan and Sand Point both sides of the border.

BobS_Rogers

Thanks for the great report Tuco! I assumed that we would be Lindy rigging, just was not sure how deep they were going to be. What were the lake levels like? Are they normal or are they down because of the drought? Thanks again for the great report, I will let you know how we do after we get back..

Bob

overdalimit

Lake levels are right where they should be. Just right to hide all the rocks! Be careful and don't rely on your GPS too much.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Ely area lakes were showing 69-71 today.  That was a warmer than expected surface temp but I doubt it goes very deep.  Very little spawn activity compared to past years for this weekend.
    • eyeguy 54
      I like the stretch upriver better but can only drift down that area.  I would wear my arms out traveling up stream!   Hopefully do a drift down soon.  
    • jhousenga
      59 crossing Daisy Bay Friday night. 67 in Big Bay this afternoon.
    • monstermoose78
      The stearms in the arrowhead are small very small I would recommend a 6 foot or short rod for most streams as you will be pitching your bait out. They are also over grown with brush wading these streams is a challenge. You will be fishing for mostly brook trout above the first posted boundary FYI it’s normally a large water fall but not always. Also the first week of June there will not be much from the lake to the first posted boundary anyways. Remember there special regs below the first posted boundary and the above the first posted boundary.  If you want to use your fly rod I would hit the small trout lakes in the area. A split shot and small chunk of crawler is my go to bait for Brookies. There are a few streams with some browns and rainbows but very few. If you are fly fishing look at Thompson lake by  devilstrack lake it’s catch and release. Mink lake, kimball lake are also good. 
    • Squirrelhawke
      Growing up in South Dakota I did quite a bit of fishing in the black hills for browns and rainbows, most of that fishing was best accomplished with a long pole and just drifting my bait down the stream if you can read the eddies and slacks in the water you should do fine.  Of course I'm assuming they bite the same up north as they do out west.  It was a kick when I went  back out there 2 years ago and on Sunday morning fished the little 6 ft wide stream running behind the campground, all the other campers were amazed that I would pull out a fish about every 20-30 ft no monsters but plenty of little beauties at 7-10 inches. If the water is clean and the fish are there you just gotta find out what they are eating at that time of year.  Hopefully this helps and if I'm wrong some of the guys with Minnesota experience will pipe up. 
    • Squirrelhawke
      I do a bit of fishing from the coon rapids dam on down to 694 and I usually bring 2 rods because I lose at least one lure to the rocks. Bear that in mind and also realize that there are nice smallies, eyes and cats in that stretch of river. I also had over 3 feet of pike eat my stink bait I had out for channel cats. If I didn't have a circle hook on it would have been a nice pic to share. Good luck and hope to hear of some good luck. 
    • delcecchi
      It would take a lot of code to make multiple windows tiling the screen work, would be my guess, and would create few additional sales so isn't worth the expenses.    Just pick up an inexpensive 5 to 7 inch unit and use it for the map.   
    • Wanderer
      You look like the Phantom Fisherman - except the toes.  Or maybe the River Detective  🕵️‍♂️ Gotta love those good runs in short times!   
    • Bryan P
      Awesome Eyeguy! That is a good run of smallies there. I like your spot, that was my favorite fishing stretch for them when I lived in St cloud. Mississippi is such a great smallie fishery. Im blessed to live right next to it too. Now lets get the current to go down some! 
    • eyeguy 54
      I LOVE SMALLIES !  LOL  I am blessed to live close to so much fun.