Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cyberfish

Walleye or Saugeye?

18 posts in this topic

Got this fish last week and it sure looks dark for a walleye, but it did have the white tip on the tail and did not have a speckled dorsal fin that saugers usually have. could it be a hybrid?

saugeyemabye.jpg

bettersunsetsauger.jpg

In the first picture, you can see some barely darker blotchy areas like a Sauger has. In the second picture, if you look at the dorsal fin close, you can make out very faint dots on it. I think that it is a Saugeye. Since the Sauger features are kinda faint, maybe it's a cross between a Saugeye and a Walleye (1/4 Sauger, 3/4 Walleye)?

I agree, definitely a saugeye, I think!

How'd it taste? grin.gif

Like mud! wink.gif

I got it on 2 so I put it back! grin.gif

Walleye or Saugeye?

Good God thats a good question!

My first reaction was its a darker walleye.

However, upon closer inspection, there is no pronounced white tip on the tail, there is blotchiness (however faint) on its sides, and possibly faint spots on the dorsal.

I guess I'd lean towards Saugeye.

Walleye......I think!

Quote:

Walleye......I think!

Don't make me second guess my guess. smile.gif

I think the fish definitely exhibits some Saugeye traits but they are very faint.

Oh well.. I do know that it isn't a Bass. wink.gif

I say walleye too.

BTW, are saugeye fertile? Can they breed w/ a walleye?

Quote:

Can they breed w/ a walleye?

Yes but it goes against all core values......then again it is Pool 2 so it could be the norm! grin.gif

Life History Notes: SAUGEYE

COMMON NAME: Saugeye

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Sander canadense

IDENTIFICATION: Saugeye are a cross of the walleye and sauger. The dark bars on the dorsal fin are the best identifying characteristic for this fish. Sharp canine teeth, dark blotches on the sides, and a white tip on the lower tail also help identify the saugeye.

LIFE HISTORY: Saugeye are created by crossing walleye eggs with sperm from a sauger. The result is a fast growing fish that has excellent survival abilities. This also makes it ideal for stocking into Ohio reservoirs and rivers; however, saugeye can create some problems. Generally, most hybrid species do not reproduce, but saugeye do occasionally reproduce with walleye and sauger. This can create genetic problems in the fishery.

Life History Notes:Sauger

COMMON NAMES: Sauger, Jack salmon

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Sander canadense

IDENTIFICATION: Sauger look very similar to walleye and saugeye. The body is cylindrical with dark blotches along the sides. They have sharp canine teeth and large cloudy eyes. They can be distinguished from walleye by the large dark spots on the spiny dorsal fin.

LIFE HISTORY: Sauger spawn in the spring when water temperatures reach the upper 40s. Females lay between 10,000 to 50,000 eggs. The eggs are adhesive and stick to vegetation, sticks, and stones until they hatch in 10 days or more. Sauger prefer to forage for aquatic insects, crayfish, and small fishes during periods of low light (dawn and dusk).

I still think it's a mix between a saugeye and a walleye. Would that make it a saugeyeeye?

I'm going with pure strain walleye.

I am going to say saugeyepikesky. 1/2 walleye, 1/4 sauger, 1/8 pike, 1/8 musky.

It's definitely a saugeye. Yes, the markings are faint, but it has the typical saugeye markings: white tip on the tail like a walleye and spots on the fins like a sauger.

Walleye, Saugeye, heck, thats an eater! 'cept in P2.....

Walleye,saugeye,they arent nuthin compared to a Cateye!!Them big cats need to leave those poor walleyes alone

wallger, smirk.gifconfused.gif more walleye than sauger.

Nice fish PERIOD