Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ec30_06

Channels bite is going strong!

6 posts in this topic

I got out with a couple guys last night and the channels were biting good. The flathead action was pretty much dead. We only had three runs and only hooked one of them which got into a log and got off anyway.

Went out today for a couple of hours trying to catch some channels with cut bait but couldn't catch one for nothing!The flatheads kept getting to it first! Surly is fun catching flatheads on the channel rods!

No kidding.

Channels were hitting both cut and live baits well this weekend. A guy would think he was getting more flathead action with the way our live baits were getting played with, smashed, and stolen by channel cats.

Remember to listen for that thump, any other kind of run is probably channel cat. confused.gif

Had to break out the new and improved dingle bells this weekend.

Channels (unless very big) do not seem to pull and run as much as flats do (at least up north). A 9lbs plus channel with sit and bang on your bait (rod tip flopping back and forth) for a couple minutes, before he will ever run with it. We would set our drag on very light (light enough to back lash bad if you did not reset right away after bite) and the channels would just munch and play with bait. The dingle bells let you know right when they hit and it seems you had to set hook right away. If you missed bite, they would not come back for a couple of minutes. This is first time this year I have used bells.

You are sure correct with the strong channel bite though.

Kyle we will have to get out and get you a big channel to boost our kotc points.

No worries my friend!I will be hittin up the red river sometime soon! I have been channel fishing lately but have just been taking others out to catch some!On friday we got 9 channels in 2 hrs. Sunday when I was trying to catch some channels I caught all flatheads! But we should for sure get out fishing soon!I am good to go fishing when ever where ever, so if you want to get out just give me a call! You should have my number from league! Kyle