• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can anyone comment on the best way to set up a lead core trolling rig? I have enjoyed some decent success with long line trolling on the river over the years. Wanting to get my crank baits into deeper water, I've doing a little experimenting with lead core. But I really haven't found the kind of action I'm looking for. Long lining with fire line, you can easy see when you have decent action and are thumping the bottom. When I have tried core, I spliced on 40 feet off mono from the lead to the lure. It was very difficult to tell if I had any action on the lure, thus it seems like I'm missing something.

Would any of you experienced core masters care to comment on the type of set-up that works for you, i.e. rods, line, leaders, swivels, etc? Very much appreciated, and thank-you in advance.

I run lead core a lot for trolling in rivers and lakes. I use 18 pound lead core, typically 10 colors spooled onto a Diawa 47 series reel. I have 2 setups with Shimano TDR 8'6" rods in medium action I believe. The other 2 are set up on Walleye Angler Signature Series 7'6" medium trolling rods. I have no problem detecting if a #5 shad rap is fouled on any of these rigs. The key is to look at the very tip of the rod and look for vibration. I use about an 8-10 foot 15# flourocarbon leader attached with a small barrel swivel to the lead core.

One thing to keep in mind is how much line you let out. If you let out too much line it will drag on the bottom and you won't be able to detect the action of the lure and if it is fouled. The rule of thumb for leadcore is each color or 30 feet of line that is let out equals 5 feet of depth. So for instance if you want to get down 20 feet you would let out 120 feet of line or 4 colors. It should also be noted that lead core trolling is very speed dependent, the rule of thumb assumes you are moving at about 2.5 mph. If you go faster than that you will have to let out more line.

This is a cliffs notes version of lead core trolling. I would suggest that you keep trying it because it is very deadly in certain situations, especially when attempting to get small lures such as #5 shad raps down deep.