• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys,

After a few days of awesome fishin on the river...i'm still contemplating as to what style of boat to get....bass boat or deep v? I do have a two year old and am a little concerned about him going over board...but when I move north from Texas...i'll more than likely be fishing tournaments with my buddy and eventually my son. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

The rivers systems are very unstable throughout the year. Some parts of the rivers get very shallow suitable for bass boats.

But if there are boat traffic around it makes it quite uncomfy. Having deep V would allow you to explore the larger lakes and rivers. I wouldn't attempt to take a bass boat into busy traffic waters. It could get drenched or capsized.

I've got a 2006 198elite champion bass boat and in May I fished the kfan tourney on the mississippi and during the tourney we had 40mph winds which cuased 4 and 5 foot rollers on the channel and we stayed dry in my boat!! It all depnds on how you drive. Its next to impossible to capsize a bass boat!! I'd rather fly over the rollers verse's plowing through them. I take my 8 year old out with me alot and I've never been worried about him falling in. It boils down to a personal choice. Good luck

Greg, if you don't mind me asking...how do you drive a bass boat in rough water? I've heard several opinions...just wondered what yours is...since you stayed dry in pretty rough water....i'd assume you know what you are doing! lol

Doop, I wish I had a good answer for ya, a guys just got to be careful not to spear a wave , I try to get on top of them and go but thats not always the best. I really watch what I'm doing.

I would go with a bass boat as long as you plan on doing most of your Mississippi river fishing south of the Cities. The reason for that is fiberglass does not like rocks or you can get an aluminum one. I would not worry about a bass boat handling waves. I can take 3' wave at 60mph with out a problem. I had a deep V and it would pound you to death

That's definitely a concern...I would be sure to have a keel guard...but that doesn't obviously protect the entire hull. I have it narrowed down..sort of..lol...either a Lund Pro V...Crestliner Fish Hawk...a Ranger or Triton.

If anyone has any advice..i'm all ears!

If you are going to fish the river mostly I would get a river- pro. If you are going to get a bass boat don't get a cookie cutter boat, I would look into Allison, Bullet, Gambler and Stroker bass boats.

A cookie cutter boat is a mass produced boat, nothing special about the boats. A river-pro is a jet boat that is set up for river fishing you can fly down the river in 12" of water.

An Allison, Stroker, Bullet, or Gambler? Jeepers, someone likes their speed grin.gif Sweet boats, but I'd have a tough time running one in a river!!!

A RiverPro is an aluminum boat with an inboard jet. They make a bass boat model called the LoPro. If you Google Riverpro Boats you can check them out. Like mentioned, they can run extremely shallow--once you're on plane, 4" of water is navigable, plus you have nothing sticking out the bottom to rip off. The problem is they are a rough ride-- great for the river, but if you get on a lake with some chop, you take a beating. It's my dream boat, though grin.gif

60 MPH over 3' waves? Fly down the river in 12" of water? Gee, why do people out fishing get sick of fishing tourneys and bass boats??

Its a fact of life live with it, those people flying over 4-12"es of water are out fishing to, they just found a better way!

Someone must be fishing out of a tin boat!! Dont get me wrong....theres nothing wrong with a tin boat, I had one. I do like the ride and speed of my glass boat ALOT better. If you've got a gripe about bass boats and tourneys.......get over it cause theres just as many @#@holes in tin boats!!

I've picked up a lot of info from guys who say alum. boats spray A LOT. For the most part is this true? For what i'm going to do...would it be better to think about a walleye ranger/skeeter or triton?

Doop,your getting a ton of personal prefrences and thats what your going to have to decide....What YOU want. Good luck

Quote:

That's like asking blondes or brunettes???????

What about red heads??? grin.gif

Quote:

If you are going to fish the river mostly I would get a river- pro. If you are going to get a bass boat don't get a cookie cutter boat, I would look into Allison, Bullet, Gambler and Stroker bass boats.

Is your name Bill by chance?