Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
macgruber

carp on the fly

11 posts in this topic

one more question, then i'll leave you guys alone today.....

i'm working nights this week, so i have some days free to tool around the city here and i've been trying to target some carp when possible.... i've hooked a few down by the mississippi, but i'm having difficulty in slacker or smaller water getting takes or even getting a drift without spooking the fish.....

so i guess i was just wondering how small i should generally go on the tippet, and then what flies i should use.... the few i hooked by the mississippi took a brown bugger, but again, that was in faster, murkier water and the bugger hasn't produced any strikes in the lakes or creeks...... also, do dries ever produce?

thanks for any help....

Carp definitely have some shoulders, so you don't want to go too light with the tippet. It really depends of the size of the carp. I have pulled them in on 4x, but it's not recommended. You might want to get a salmon/steelie leader. I've also used (cheap) 6-8 lb mono on the end of a salmon leader.

For fly rodders, carp are a strange quarry. I hate to say it, but they're smart - or at least less guileful than bass or trout. I've read some things over the years that say they can communicate with one another through their sophisticated lateral line system, which supposedly combines elements of both the senses of hearing and smell. I think they find, or at least check out, a lot of their food by smell, which is why strawberry flavored doughballs may be more effective than a Clouser minnow. If you want to pursue these bruisers, here are some things from my experience that may be useful to you:

1. Carp swimming about aimlessly are double tough to inerest in a fly.

2. Smaller may be better when it comes to fly choice. Some size 10 or so hare's ear nymphs may be surprisingly effective. Otherwise, small, dark thin bodied woolly buggers may be as good as anything.

3. Keep your flies as free of scent of all kinds as possible. You may want to carry some deodorizing hand soap.

4. Use fluorocarbon tippets. Fluoro is less visible underwaer and it's more abrasion resistant, too.

5. Have fun.

macgruber, you may want to do a search in here and also in the carp section. I know there's been discussion in the past year in both areas.

What part of the metro are you from, I know a GREAT spot to flyfish carp....and its not uncommon to catch a dozen in NO TIME! Average size is about 5-10 lbs.

Woodduck, shoot me an email. I live near the Maplewood Mall, close to your stomping grounds in Oakdale. almontco1 at yahoo Thanks!

i live in uptown...... but am willing to wander far and wide in search of quarry.....

thanks for the tips...... i'll have to give the scent-free approach a shot....

Quote:

Woodduck, shoot me an email.

Youve got mail!!!!!

woodduck,

I got your email...thanks! I used to live really close to where you described, so I am familiar with it already. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

hey! read your post about the carp spot. I'm just learning to flyfish and am also new to fishing the rivers. Am looking to hit some carp or some larger fish-just for the fight. Have been hitting Hidden Falls by the ford dam lately but nothing to write home about. Could u name some spots? my email is exccitedone@excite.com

Cheers!

Quote:

woodduck,

I used to live really close to where you described, so I am familiar with it already. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

So did I, I used to live in SSP....actually grew up there.....