• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old Fishing Reports!

The fishing has really picked-up on Buffalo, at least for me. A couple others I fish with have not had the same success. This past week I have caught several good sized sunfish and crappies, Many others are taking home their limits of pannies.

I also managed 2 nice walleyes a 6 3/4 and a 10.2lb hawg

My photo shop is not working for now will photos later.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Kyle Sandberg

• walleyeking19

• jigginjim

Nice going,Jim. Nice to hear that the lakes, including Buffalo, are 'waking' up a bit. Let's hear it,or more appropriately for this forum, read what you folks have for reports from this long holiday-bass opener weekend. grin

I had a little boy out fishing this weekend, He caught his first bass. What a great time, he didn't what to leave the lake.

Was out on Big Lake and Mitchell for Bass opener, caught a few one 15 3/4 inch and one 16 1/2 the rest smaller. Lots of wind, working the docks was hard, but fun.

how is mitchell lake looking this year. I have not been there for a few years not, just curious how the lake has been!

Anyone catching any panfish? I went to eagle lake the other day and caught about 10 9" bluegills and about a million 5 inchers.

I pounded the bullheads there but managed a few decent bass. Mostly from shore though.

Whick Eagle? One off 39 or the one out of Big Lake? Son caught one of his biggest LM on the Eagle by BL.

I'm talking about the one on 39. Yeah there are some big largemouths in the one by big lake. I know 2 guys that took 2 of them out of there over 5 lbs last year to put up on there wall.

Thank you, me and my brother went out on Lake Julia today and I caught a 20" walleye and 10 minutes later he caught a 21" walleye. We also caught quite a few bass and one northern, all on hot peach twister tails...So I had a decent bday so far.

where has everyone been getting the most action on bass right now. Not lakes, just areas on the lakes?

Mitchell has alot of tiny panfish. Guys sit on the 2 deepest holes in the winter...must be just drinkin beer cause there aint nothin worth keepin out there. Maybe get a few 9 1/2" craps if your lucky. Small bass, small northerns, and there might be one walleye in it. Carp population is moderate to healthy. I live right next to the lake, but don't waste my time there fishing. My neighbor did get a 5 lb walleye out there about 8 years ago first ice. Summer time she's pretty much a nightmare recreational facility.

i've got all my bass under docks in very shallow water.

i'll spill the beans we were out on buffalo on sat. and early sun. and i have never caught so many bass in the 2-5 lb range. we had a riot. and then we switch gears late sat. night for some night bow fishing and we seen really BIG bass all over the place. and some very nice sun fish and crappies.

I saw alot of crappies on beds in Buffalo lake this week. Other areas have sunfish on spawn beds. Time to break out the fly rods. Bass are also in the shallows, Males guarding nests will hit some well presented baits.

thats right jim, i got a few nice bass today way up in the shallow water, and also found most of htem in about 4-11 FOW. It was a great day out on the water.

I was out for a while last night on Maple Lake and found some nice sunfish, right in the bullrushes. It looks like the bass are done spawning as well.

walleye fishing sucks on pulaski. still haven't caught one this year. but the bass fishing has been good. very shallow but not usually under docks. any where there is shallow water there is usually a fish underneath it.

went fishing yesterday with my older brother. we caught every fish in between 4 docks. we found one spot where there was run off from a farm across the road where you could see the bass just sitting there in the current. so we just casted in there and almost every cast we would get a bass. we caught 7 bass between 15-18" in 30 minutes. The only sad thing is i lost 2 spinnerbaits to northerns cause i tried to be cool and not use a net and just hoist them in the boat. bad idea.

I was at Mitchell and Big lake for about 5 hours, tried every depth, caught 1 3/4 pound sunny, and the rest were lucky to hit 5 oz. Work a lot of docks with spinnerbaits and mister twister with leach, no luck except little guys hitting the leaches.

I took "the girls" out to Maple yesterday and we had a good trip. We caught enough big pumpkinseeds for dinner and threw many back. The water was only a couple of feet deep so they could see the fish bite and watch them swim around. A good time was had by all!

Buffalo Lake has been rather odd this year so far. I have caught either really big walleyes(6 to 10)lbs, Or reall small all 11 to 14 inches. Last week I was catching crappies in 18 to 23ft of water, on fatheads, nice size but real deep.

Yah, Buffalo has been weird this year - not only 3 weeks behind usual seasonal schedule, but topsy turvy, too, in a lot of cases, do the opposite of what you would niormally do for the time of year, and it probably works. Please, ppl, if you catch a big girl, put her back! After the weed kill 2 years ago, we are finally seeing native weeds clumping back together out there - the sparse cover is making for some pretty active fish - all species. It has been nice to be able to actually see the bottom content of the bars out there in the clear water with your own eyes, I know I found out some things this year I haven't found out in the 10 years I've been fishing there.

I also made a trip out to Mink/Somers hunting LM. Seems they've been clearing the water out there chemically, it is the clearest I've ever seen it, and the weeds are going absolutely nutso! What a pain to get through, and there are very few of the usual bed areas that are fishable with typical tactics, like weightless wacky worming - but they still work... All I could catch were 3 pounders, nothing smaller, nothing bigger. I would guess a guy could bring out the heavy tackle, big carolina weights, weedless jigs with lizards and a brutus tolling motor and do great in the weed-choked bed areas, but that's a lot of work! Personally, I'd go somewhere else with a chance at larger fish.

Bohonk, in the lips. smile I Havereleased all my big fish this year but one. The big girl swallowed my 4" jig to deep, it was hooked into the gullet.

Regarding Mink Sommers, it appears clear because the curly pondweed has not died off yet, it is behind this year so the water is still weed choked and relatively clear. When the pondweed goes nutrients shoot up instant pea soup, with few surviving weeds due to poor light penetration. I fished Wed evening LMB caught some nice bass on wacky rig.

Regarding comment on catch and release on big walleye in lakes like Buffalo, does it really matter? From what I understand there is no natural reproduction in these late stage fertile lakes. I would be more inclined to toss back due to contaminants in older fish. Anyone know the answer?

Buffalo has minimal natural reproduction it is not absolutely no natural. Onther reason for catch and release is so that another person has the opportunity to catch a fish of a lifetime or even just a big fish of the year.

was out last night. caught one walleye a fat 16". the weird part was i couldn't find the spot i wanted to troll on so i was looking for it and he hit. the graph said it was 44 ft. 20 minutes later i missed one in 37 ft. so i fished that deep the rest of the night.

it was so nice, i was the only guy out there. and the moon looked very cool in the clouds