• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I wonder............

zamboni

What freaking stat are you talking about that stupid all time fielding stat? What part of playing indoors on astro turf versus outdoors on dirt did not understand.

Willy are saying that A-Roid is a better SS then Jeter right now like the poster above has said

And no A-Roid would not favored by more teams then Jeter even if A-Roid wasn't the biggest underachiever in postseason major sports history..... grin.gif .071 and .133 his last two playoffs...not as bad a .000 when he was with Seatle....but pathetic none the less... grin.gif

AROD CAREER FIELDING % .977

JETER CAREER FIELDING % .975

WHOS LAST???????????????????????????????

You might want to check your stats those are outdated.

When you make 24 errors at 3rd base "ALL TIME RECORD" things change fast.

ROTFLMAO... grin.gif who's last.... grin.gif

ACTUALLY PIERBIDGE- playing SS or 3rd or any infield position is tougher both on your body (turf toe, diving onto a cement floor) and the speed of the ball on the artificial turf make playing any infield position tougher than playing on grass which slows the ball down. And another thing- AROD is 10X more versatile, thats why he was asked to move to third and not Jeter, I really don't think AROD is all too fat and slow, either.

I see your last posting, too- ALL TIME SS RECORDS have no account for 3rd base stats.

Quote:

artificial turf make playing any infield position tougher

No chance whatsoever...

You are wrong wrong wrong. Artificial turf makes the ball 10Xs faster.

but with artificial turf you get a true hop. A-rod is very good player maybe hasnt posted career stats like jeter but I think he is just as good however jeter has that leadership capability which is something in itself let alone THE YANKEE organization. Ozzie smith along with vizquel were better fielding shortstops and they posted respectable career numbers. Ozzie also had the same leadership skills as jeter. The MVP award shouldnt be handed out to the best player in the league just based on stats but also to the player who contributed the most for his team. Does the team need to be in the playoffs or the world series champs NO . For example at this point in the season IMO A-rod should be A.L. MVP where would the crank yankers be with out him at this point in the season. Last season some feel jeter shouldve won it I feel many felt this way just because hes a yankee and has won it before. But all in all you take jeter away from the yankees last year and morneau away from the twins which team wouldve had the better record? THE YANKEES MORE THAN LIKELY therefore morneau is MORE OF A VAUABLE PLAYER to the twins then jeter is to the yankees.

Yeah you usually get a "true" hop, but they are hops that seem to bounce 15 feet high. Artificial turf does nothing to extend a players career either. I would take AROD on my team anyday and I bet a survey of knowledgable baseball people would agree overwhelmingly. AROD has it all, glove, arm and one heckuva bat.

Quote:

But all in all you take jeter away from the yankees last year and morneau away from the twins which team wouldve had the better record? THE YANKEES MORE THAN LIKELY therefore morneau is MORE OF A VAUABLE PLAYER to the twins then jeter is to the yankees.

I think we can agree on that its just some of the other stuff in thread I disagree with.... grin.gif

Quote:

You are wrong wrong wrong. Artificial turf makes the ball 10Xs faster.

Of course its faster but your Fielding percentage is going to much more difficult to maintain on dirt/grass.

A-Rod is better in every way except leadership. I have proven through numbers that this is true. In three years in Texas on natural grass A-Rod had a total of 36 errors at SS. The best three years for Jeter also equals 36. I take A-Rod any day and twice on Sunday. As much as I like throwing around numbers I am going to let this point rest.

PIER-How the heck do you figure that? Your reaction time and chances of blowing plays increases with the speed of the ball. This is just blowing my mind. Would you have a better chance at cleanly fielding a 60 MPH grounder or a 100 MPH grounder?

Quote:

A-Rod is better in every way . I have proven through numbers that this is true.

Oh really lets concede the ridicuolus fact that A-Rod is a better shortstop then Jeter right now.

So you have proven through numbers that A-Rod is better bunter, baserunner, average-hitter, oposit feild hitter, on-base percentage, strikes out less and of course clutch hitter.

Can't wait for you to crunch on those numbers.... grin.gif

Quote:

I take A-Rod any day and twice on Sunday

Hope its not a Sunday Playoff or World Series game...LOL

I'll take Clutch over choke any day. grin.gif

Quote:

This is just blowing my mind.

I wouldn't worry if you really believe Fielding on Artificial turf is more difficult then dirt/grass fields your mind is already blown....seriously.

Can someone please try to explain this very easy concept to him.

Have any of you actually played on both artifical turf and on grass?

If not then maybe we should ask someone who has. Deciding which is tougher is a judgement call that can't be answered by a bunch of guys who have never fielded balls on both surfaces.

I have played on both. I have played on turf about 10-12 times and mostly in the HHH. Although it is true that you don't really get the bad hops you can get on grass, but the ball does get on top of you much quicker and can still act a little funny if you get a ball with alot of spin.

All that said, I would say there is a fielding edge to the guy on turf but it is not as much as most people believe.

I am looking at SLG, OBP(Virtually the same career numbers), OPS, RBI, HR.

Jeter's good no doubt. But IMO, a shortstop that is a #3,4 type hitter such as A-rod is more valuable than one such as Jeter that is a table setter.

Ah really, who cares, they are both Yankee money grubbing (Contact Us Please) anyway. I hate them both.

Quote:

Have any of you actually played on both artifical turf and on grass?

It doesn't matter if we played on either surface its common sense if you don't understand its easier to field on a turf feild day in and day out there is nothing I can you do for you guys. grin.gif

Plain and simple you are going to have more bad hops on a natural surface.

Pier you saying my mind is blown is the dumbest of all the (Contact Us Please) you have said on here. I have played on both, and would rather have a slow grounder than a speedier one anyday.

No one can dispute that Jeter is the Greatest at blowing bubbles while running the bases. Have you seen the size of some of his bubbles while he casually runs down to first, it's absolutely amazing.

If for nothing else, that should get him into the HOF.

You are right about the ball moving faster on turf thats why the infielders play deeper on turf.

I'd go deeper into it but its apparent you can't comprehend that Artificial turf is way more consistent as far as Fielding a baseball then Dirt/grass is.

Youre right, I forgot you managed a big league club and tell players how "DEEP" to play. BTW- you have been given several names, O Smith, O Viaquel, AROD that all have a higher career fielding percentage at SS, but you still argue that Jeters better than all of them. I NEVER ONCE SAID HITTING EITHER- before you throw out for the 50th time what Jeters lifetime Batting Average is compared to Vizquel and O Smith. I guess I am not the only one with a comprehension issue around here. Jeter is NOT the greatest SS of all time, get over it. I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH THIS POST.

Zamboni wrote:

Quote:

BTW- you have been given several names, O Smith, O Viaquel, AROD that all have a higher career fielding percentage at SS, but you still argue that Jeters better than all of them.

Here is what I said.

Quote:

Yes Omar and Ozzie were better defensively then Jeter.

Quote:

I already said Ozzie WAS a better feilder....

And I'll add to that that Jeter is a better shortstop then A-Rod because A-Roid is not a shortstop and never will be again he'll be a 3rd baseman or DH the rest of his career. grin.gif sorry...lol.