• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• primetime49

• jigginjim

• sparcebag

• eyehead

I dont think people refuse to listen! I believe people do and should have a mind of their own.Some may want muskie stocked but they should respect the others view also.There's nothin complex about that.

Try emailing the DNR Ask.

Well said.

I am not a ANTI-MUSKY person, We just got done with 1 mess with the smallmouth bass. So now we want to mess it up again with muskies? As for eating stunted fish or junk fish, has any of you guys fish Gary's bay on Minnetonka? Drive under the bridge and look in the water. More small sunfish and crappies than you could ever count. I have fish every lake with muskies in the metro area. they all still have the junk and stunted fish.

The 43" Muskie I caught came from Bald Eagle lake, north of the cities. I caught a 36" Northern, not 5 minutes before this Muskie. I do enjoy fishing muskies, and I don't mind having to drive an hour plus to do so.

If muskies were stocked area lakes how long until we have quality fish to catch? Now, how about guys that like spearing pike? That goes away, there is alot that goes into this. Maybe you should be sitting down DNR officals, before getting everyone all hoping for a great muskie lake. Why not try to improve the pike fishing in the area lakes? Muskies eat what ever they want, They have even bit kids hands in some lakes.

Think what the people would say if "your child could get bit by a muskie just for splashing their hands or feet in the water."

Look at the down stream effect, to the enviroment system.

How about putting muskies in Lake Andrew, you have the State Park for tourist, the bass and walleye fishing could maybe improve there? Try a test lake, and see how it goes? I fished Bush lake in Boomington, for skies, they put the tiger hy-breds in there to eat the stunted sunfish. The lake still has stunted sunfish, but at least I can fish muskies on a lake less than 200 acres. WE CAN DEBATE THIS TO 5,000 PAGES AND STILL NOT GET ANY THING DONE. GET THE DNR TO SPEAK UP THEMSELVES. NOT SOMEBODIES I THINK THEY SAID.

They have even bit kids hands in some lakes.

Think what the people would say if "your child could get bit by a muskie just for splashing their hands or feet in the water."

Are you serious???? I would bet your odds of getting bit by a musky are about the same as winning the powerball or getting struck by lightning......Get real.

I do agree with you about the debating. I'm gonna Take it to the DNR intstead of bickering on this forum about it.

Living in New London area you don't hear alot about what goes on around the state. I should KNOW I GREW UP IN NEW LONDON ....... An 8 yr old boy got over 100+ stitches in his hand, a muskie bit while he was splashing around.

A little girl was sitting on her grand fathers dock just kicking in the water, when a 49" muskie grabbed on. Took her dad and grand father to get the fish from her foot. she need over 200 stitches. EYEHEAD! YOU SHOULD DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

I would not mind having a muskie lake close to this area. Why not Lac qui parle, or Marsh lake? Both have white bass, suckers and numerous other soft fin fish. Which would help the muskies grow faster.

There are also a few that win the powerball and a few that get struck by lightning every year. So what? I would say your chances of winning the powerball or getting struck by lightning is 10 times greater than getting bit by a muskie. You gotta love it smile

Do you guys think this blog will hit 10000 views

Free burgers in town when it does?

OK Primetime49, It is now time time to pay up. where and when are you going to buy the town free burgers. I"LL BE FIRST IN LINE...........................

Originally Posted By: primetime49
Do you guys think this blog will hit 10000 views

Free burgers in town when it does?

OK Primetime49, It is now time time to pay up. where and when are you going to buy the town free burgers. I"LL BE FIRST IN LINE...........................

Prime I'm 2nd in line!

Living in New London area you don't hear alot about what goes on around the state. I should KNOW I GREW UP IN NEW LONDON area.

hahaa grin I guess bud. I guess i'll take your advice...you seem to be a very, very knowledgable guy gringrin

Show me some research that says trophy muskies and trophy northern can't live in the same ecosystem. You won't because there is no evidence of any kind that says that. Every lake that I have fished for muskies also has LARGE pike as well. There, however, is probably a study that shows a larger portion of big pike when muskies are also present. I got a 46" northern on a MN muskie lake this year. The points that a lake cannot have both muskies and northern in it at the same time while producing trophy pike, and creating a myth that muskies are human biting machines is laughable. You might be surprised to find that the opportunity to catch TROPHY pike increases when there are also muskies in the lake. Again, there is a lot to learn.

Show me some research that says trophy muskies and trophy northern can't live in the same ecosystem. You won't because there is no evidence of any kind that says that. Every lake that I have fished for muskies also has LARGE pike as well. There, however, is probably a study that shows a larger portion of big pike when muskies are also present. I got a 46" northern on a MN muskie lake this year. The points that a lake cannot have both muskies and northern in it at the same time while producing trophy pike, and creating a myth that muskies are human biting machines is laughable. You might be surprised to find that the opportunity to catch TROPHY pike increases when there are also muskies in the lake. Again, there is a lot to learn.
Hmmm, did I say they could not??? Didn't think so. RELAX for cripes sakes.

Completely relaxed. Hearing about stereotypes of muskies is another day at the office for me. I really do get a kick out of all the comments, so please continue.

Get a switch? I think your going to need something alot stronger smirk DH didn't say what lake he was fishing. Likely a lake larger than Green. If muskie would be stocked I can see the same thing happening to muskies as the smallies. Guys with larger Hammers and gut hook knifes. The muskies will take about 15 yrs to have a catchable system. The DNR will need to stock 500 adults each year along with 5000 fingers.

LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A LOT OF INPUT NOW AS WE CONTINUE TOO HEAR PROS AND CONS OF FISH HABITAT

I LIKE THE INPUT OF wISCONSINS ABILITY TO MAKE LAKES MULTI SPECIES FUN

JUST MAYBE WE HAVE TO ESCAPE THE NORM AND TEST ONE LAKE HERE TO SEE IF ALL FISH DO GET ALONG

OOPS IM SHOUTING IN CYBERSPACE

we are starting to post on different sites and you will probaly see sheets floating around this year at different shows

We have 70 signatures as of today

thanks,just print the list off here and get 19 of your we are for muskie freinds to add their names to a list and mail it to us

Seems that the Musky is native to Nest and Green as it made its way on its own

I have seen them below the spillway at Calhoun

burgers are getting close.I was still mostly dead in HCMC when post hit 10,000

Remember burgers are for people wanting this species in lakes

Found several persons that own property on all three of lakes that either are on or will join the lakes associations and try to educate others especally those that dont fish about the positive side of this species

I'm not totally against having muskies stocked area lakes. 1st it was we have to save the smallmouth. Then it's we can't catch walleyes like we did 10 yrs ago. Blame the smallmouth. Now lets add large numbers of muskies.

I really do hope a lake in the spicer area gets stocked with muskies.

1. I will not to watch out for 36ft cruises, while fishing(ie Minnetonka)

2. I will not have to pay for parking. (ie minneapolis city lakes Harriet, Calhoun, and more;or permits Independences and White Bear Lake.)

3. If it gets windy, it's easier to drive to the other side for fishing (not like having to drive around Mille lacs)

4. The pike will saved the those nasty spearers wink.

So, Primetime, I'll sign your petition, while you purchase my slider. smile

Muskies aren't the only fish that bite people. I think you'd be surprised at the number of walleye "accidents" that happen each year. Most are too embarrassed to tell, so you don't hear about it as much as with muskies. Any of you have friends with missing fingers they claim are from saw accidents? Do they have 30+ inch walleye mounts? Thought so. Walleye may not be as big as musky, but they're a lot meaner.

I found someone on the net that wasn't too embarrassed to share his story.

"A few years back while fishing the Wavewacker tourney on Mille Lacs, I caught a perfect slot fish--about 19.5". The small leech hook was out of sight down the fishes throat so I decided to cut the line and not kill the nice keeper. So I hold the fish up to my mouth to bite the line. Not wanting to shorten my leader anymore than need be, I attempted to bite the line right against the fishes lips. What I didn't realize was the fishes mouth was wide open and my nose was sticking into it. So.........the fish clamps down on my nose--HARD! I can't move without raking my nose with it's teeth. And my partner, Scott Hauge has his back to me still focused on the fishing . I finally get him to turn around and after he quits laughing, have him pry the fishes mouth open, leaving me with about 10 little red pin holes on my nose."

wink

Jiggin, why do you say that spearing will go away if muskies are introduced? The muskie groups haven't worked to get additional spearing bans since the original ones over 20 years ago. In fact our PUBLISHED stance is that we wouldn't seek additional bans on new or existing muskie lakes.

Itsn't it a fact that when thr DNR stocks muskie they stop spearing,So the stockers grow and its also to do with the cost of stocking? Why stock then take the chance they'll get speared by someone who cant tell the diff?

Are there any lakes in Mn. that were stocked with muskie that allow spearing? weather the assn.s push for a ban or not are any lakes with them that spearers can do their thing??

THAT IS NOT A FACT - this is: The DNR is committed to keeping spearing opportunities open as muskies are introduced to new lakes, simply put, THERE WILL NOT BE A SPEARING BAN on new musky lakes. This is written into the long range plan.

Even as a musky addict, I would not condone that, everyone has a right to enjoy their sport, but I respectfully ask the spearers to steer clear of the 'skies, just like most musky guys release the big pike.

Yes, there is a chance someone won't be able to tell the difference (or won't want to) but that is an acceptable risk if that's the only thing stopping the introduction of new lakes. My opinion on this is not popular with all but that's how it'll have to be.

There are spearing bans on some of the top notch lakes, natural/trophy management lakes, like Cass. There is no spearing ban on Miltona to name one - Pike management is also a big part of the long range plan and ideally will result in new opportunities for musky fishermen and spearers alike.