• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• primetime49

• jigginjim

• sparcebag

• eyehead

Well when in doubt ASK!an

d you will receive!!Dear

Muskie, or muskellunge, are a member of the cool water pike family of fishes. They are

naturally found throughout most of Canada and many northern tier states, especially Great

Lake states like Minnesota. They have been introduced into many lakes for trophy fishing

opportunities.

I have been contacted by several anglers wishing to establish muskie fishing opportunities

in the Spicer Area. Due to habitat needs of muskie, there are limited lakes in this area

favorable for introduction. Green, Nest, and Koronis lakes provide the best opportunities

for introduction. Nest and Green lakes contain small populations of muskies, escapees

from rearing operations at New London Fish Hatchery.

Before any stocking of muskies will be seriously considered, discussions need to be

conducted with lake associations, sportsmen's clubs, etc. to determine the level o public

support for muskie introduction. I have spoken with some groups, but have not specifically

talked with associations on the three lakes yet about muskie stocking. Local spearing

interests have concerns about muskie stocking affecting their sport. I expect to get more

input this year. Before any stockiing would begin on a selected lake, there would be

public meetings indicating broad support for stocking, and the DNR Fisheries muskie

rearing program will have to be capable of producing the required fish.

I hope this answers your questions.

Bruce.

Bruce Gilbertson

Area Fisheries Supervisor

The sentence several anglers leads me to believe,Its not any organization!ESCAPEES FROM THE HATCHERY NO MENTION OF ANY OTHER STOCKING!"Cool Fact": It takes 2.3-3.2 kg (5-7 lbs) of live fish to produce 0.5 kg (1 lb) of musky

The thrill I had last summer on Nest won't be foregotten. In June I was drifting with a crawler and had a bite and had to drop my bow mount down to catch up with a fish, finilly got 32inch northern in boat with teeth marks under pelvic and pectoral fins and up to the back. Next time I went to Nest my wife got video of my fighting a Muskie (broke my line), if I was able to post it I would but gladly show anyone who wants to come to Sacred Heart.

BIG @$%# FISH!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Arm Chair Biologists on here that dont know sh*t....

Lets just dump a bunch of chemicals in green lake and kill off every living thing, then everybody would be b*tching about the same thing.

Im a aquatic biologist so lets do what I say!

SSDD

(aka Same Sh*t Different Day)

Some people should be the first ones to post, because they know and other's don't know s---" That's allowing for free thought and expression.

If you cant give your 2cents what would be the point of a forum. I have deleted all of my replys not cause I think they are wrong some maybe inapropiate but not childish I appoligize or how ever it it is spelled to everyone muskies would be great but get them in a lake that has no outlet or inlet so then they can be managed easier. Primetime did you say something about or did I read it some where else but I can not find where I read it about trying to chargeing property owners for docks boat lifts ect... that would be a good idea if you could get it to pass not likely but if you could some how keep the money with in the county that would put you that much closer to them toothy monsters I may not fish these thing religously but is always fun to hook in to one. Another thing how many of you do like to do recreational stuff on the lake besides fishing we do all enjoy it but some people do need to show A LOT MORE RESPECT when they are doing what they do but what really pisses me of when I am fishing is when you are casting A shore line and another fisherman cut less then 50 yards in front of. But we all should work on the DNR to get some of the easier fish to catch in the lakes first cause we all want to see kids catch fish they are the future of fishing and even hunting if they dont catch fish thay wont be intrested in the sport Primtime tell whan these meetings are I will try if I can to make it its an hour drive but I will try to be there. excop It maybe 2 in the morning but I am not drunk and was not the other night we are not a democrecy so lets all get along I am probly more guilty tham most but lets start showing a little more respect each other I mean how many people in here actually know one another propbly not many sorry for preaching but I am sick of being a (Contact Us Please) to fellow sportsman this is they only forum I have ever acted this way on and primetime I wish you the best of luck on getting "muskies comeing to a lake near you"

Thanks and welcome to Fishing Minnesota.Your comments are appreciated.You will find that almost every member here is going to let it all hang out and make a slip in s post,I have several times.

Wow!!!!

The Willmar/Spicer forum is probably the only one on the web site that almost always has some type of "fight" or "debate" going on. And it usually has to do with Green Lake. Can't we all just get along?

The DNR will basically do what ever they want to do. Yes, they will listen to the voices of the people. But, in the end they will have the last say in the matter.

The facts are they will not be able to stock Green or Nest for that matter by themselves. Meaning they are all intertwined together through the crow river system. You put muskies in Nest...guess what...you'll have muskies in Green and Calhoun also. They may not reach the same sixes in the different lakes because of available forage and such, but there will be muskies in all these lakes.

I believe it would be good for the lake system. Not just because I enjoy catching the every once in a while ski. But, I believe that these fish can coexist in the system together. Look at Mille Lacs. World class muskie and walleye fishery all in one.

Its alright to voice your opinion on this site,thats what its here for. Ideas, tips, opinions, stories, ex., but to make attacks on other peoples thoughts and ideas is just plain childish. Grow up people!

Lets take about the good things! How 'bout this weather, huh? grin.gif

LOTWS,

It happends to all of us. The spelling, the temps flaring, no problem with you here or your ideas. I'm also pretty sure you and the rest of us don't need a lecture especially after an appology.

No body got there 2 cents anymore the sarcasm and the bickering is still priceless

Quote:

Wow!!!!

The Willmar/Spicer forum is probably the only one on the web site that almost always has some type of "fight" or "debate" going on. And it usually has to do with Green Lake. Can't we all just get along?

The DNR will basically do what ever they want to do. Yes, they will listen to the voices of the people. But, in the end they will have the last say in the matter.

The facts are they will not be able to stock Green or Nest for that matter by themselves. Meaning they are all intertwined together through the crow river system. You put muskies in Nest...guess what...you'll have muskies in Green and Calhoun also. They may not reach the same sixes in the different lakes because of available forage and such, but there will be muskies in all these lakes.

I believe it would be good for the lake system. Not just because I enjoy catching the every once in a while ski. But, I believe that these fish can coexist in the system together. Look at Mille Lacs. World class muskie and walleye fishery all in one.

Its alright to voice your opinion on this site,thats what its here for. Ideas, tips, opinions, stories, ex., but to make attacks on other peoples thoughts and ideas is just plain childish. Grow up people!

Lets take about the good things! How 'bout this weather, huh?
grin.gif

The DNR does not always listen to the people.... They ignored 5 of my emails about slot limits, well Bruce did I should say. I worked hard and did lots of research and got a group of guys that were willing to help me out.... Thanks again guys. Now all that time and effort is down the toilet.

Quote:

I also stated that in the end they will make the final say. Even if their say is not to listen to all the voices. wink.gif

Check out some of the studies they did on musky waters with walleyes they sampled 1025 musky and they only found 6 walleyes in the stomachs. THey prefer other species like perch and suckers they even prefer carp before a walleye. So lets stock some muskies.

I hate to tell you. bassinjp, Muskies eat whatever they can get. So prefered fish? SURE! if it goes in the mouth it's prefered.

No wonder the lakes suck for muskies they kill them all to see what they eat did they find any small dogs order teradactals in there stomachs maybe thats what happened to the dinosaurs

Predator fish do have a prey preference. He is absolutely correct when he stated that they "prefer" other species than walleyes.

Pike and Muskellunge "prefer" to prey on a soft-bodied forage fish such as a sucker, over a deep-bodied, spiny-rayed fish, such as a sunfish, bass, or walleye. The latter type would be harder to swallow and more likely to lodge in their throat.

Granted if opportunity exists for them to strike a walleye they may.

prefered? I have seen 14 lb. northerns eat 2 lb. northerns on mud lake by New London. Walleyes with crappies, sunfish and bullheads in their stomaches. Muskies on Minnetonka with a bass sticking out its mouth, it still my spinnerbait.

I prefer sunfish but I will eat nothern! the Musky is a opportunistic feeder just like me!If its there eat it.

My family has had a cabin on Green Lake for over 40 years and I would be in favor of the stocking. If I am fishing Green, it is for walleyes 80% of the time. I also like chasing panfish, northerns, and bass from time to time. I usually fish early in the morning or at sunset when the recreational boaters get off the lake. One question for those people who strongly support Green getting stocked? Why would you pick Green? I would think all the boating traffic would make muskie fishing a nightmare. I know many muskie anglers who fish more to enjoy the tranquility and the scenery more than they do catching muskies. I just think there are other lake in that area that might be a better choice. Find me a predator fish that eats rock bass and I will stock them myself.

Bigfife, I totally agree with you, I would love to see alot less rock floppers when fishing. You get a rocky in the boat and all they do is flop around. Floppers do make good garden food, cat food, or if you can't catch anything else can be filleted.

cmon guys ..you all know you fished rockbass as a kid and had fun!!! Seriously I will be GLAD to teach my son how to fish by catching rock bass..he has to start somewhere and thats better than a bullhead!

I only caught rock bass 2 times as a kids. Both while fishing in the Park Rapids area on vacation. Rock bass did not make it to New London, via the crow river. Caught mostly crappies and sunfish.

Bigfife,the preditaor here that eats Rock bass is named Jim ,not jiggin ,he has prepared several rockies on grill and says they are pretty good.

He informed us of this at O neals,when we did a fish tales and beverage get together the other nite.

He is going to make us some when he does this again.

Jiggin ,the other Jim,Did you ever get in on battered sheephead at Norway lake property Owners Tournament?Some told us they were pretty good.

I like to eat fish, but I think I will spring for fish sticks before rock bass. A hot rock bass bite is a great way to get kids hooked on fishing, but it is not my favorite thing to do. I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't love to eat my redtail minnows. grin.gif Please tell Jim to keep harvesting these fine specimens.

Big fife and others ,got a e-mail from St. cloud chapter Muskies Inc.,they are going to present idea to Green lake property Owners ,and they say Bruce gilbertson will do the same from fisheries.

That should be interesting,like if they told them they eat bass or clean up chara they might consider it ,right.

Primetime, I never made it to sheephead fry. Many years ago one of the campers at dilley's resort, Claimed the sheephead tasted like largemouth bass. Although sheephead are rather tasty after being smoked for a day. Smoked sheephead and a few beers around a camp fire at nite not bad.

SO primetime you going to razz me for eating smoked fish?

Many fish have gone through my smoker, trout, salmon, northerns, tullibee, tuna and yes even sheephead and suckers.

( Word of warning to guys that have not tried suckers. If you think northerns are boney? Suckers make northerns look like the least boey fish that swims.)