• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey I've been a reader of the FM forums for a long time but just set up the user name. All the info you guys give is great and its been a real help for me!

I'm going to give Smelting a try for the first time tomorrow at the Lester. I've got my dip net, 5 gallon, and light all ready and I'm just wondering if there is anything esle I need to bring.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• william wallace

Everyone always talks about no "beverages" on park pt (even though we always have a couple). Any problems w/it at the rivers?

at the bottom of the posts, theres a place labeles "posts" and then has a bunch of #'s...click 5.

Jimbo read above a few posts I have that there. Gander and Menards were the last I saw them at but Marine General may have gotten some in.

No smelt tonight. Well a couple but nothin worth reporting.

No fires or alcohol allowed but people do it anyways. Im not saying to do it Im just sayin you can get a ticket if you do.

YEs, I think we are all pretty responsible, haha! But really, cops or DNR or whatever know if you're down there "working" or just screwing around. smile.gif DNR came by us on park pt last year and let us look through his night vision binocs. I didn't but the guys I was with did. Pitch black out there but I guess you can see like daylight through them.

Jiffy

we used to smelt on the bay side down by the airport for seaplaned at the end of park point and have done very well there from time to time. they ran there before the lake side of the point. I can remember a few years that we did very well there. It would definatley be worth a try!! The first year i went smelting in 1974 we got a bunch there and have gotten some there just two years ago. One of those spots to check when they are not running good yet in the streams yet and the point is locked in with ice.

Well, last night my buddy and I got a cooler full of smelt. The smelt came in real late after most people have left already. But it was heavy! grin.gif

We got at least 1 to 2 smelt for every scoop for a good hour to hour and a half. Then it was OVER....

supaman,

where were you? Point or in a river? confused.gif

Oh you said late, what is late when your talking about smelting. I've caught them at 4 a.m. before. Congrates on the the big cooler full maybe this weekend will be a decent run.

Did anyone go out to park point last nite and try??? Did the ice move away from shore yet??? Any news on the lester or knife ??? a buddy and myself are coming down from virginia tonite to try it Is it worth the drive yet???

I went to the point last night and there was ice so i fished off the pier. No smeltin last night but maby tonight.

Guys a lot of these questions are being answered in above posts. Please do some reading before asking questions. I think I have answered at least every one of these questions once already. If not someone else did above.

By the way supaman that must have been a 6 pack cooler. wink.gif

Northlander or anybody willing- i have never been smelting and would like to give it a shot. i have waders, but no net/seine. I was wondering if i could tag along or give it a shot if you have an extra dip net. if so, where could i meet you and what time?

UMDSportsman,

I have a dip net that I will not be using anytime soon. I have plans for tonight and work tomorrow followed by a trip out of state on Sunday. It's older with a short handle but should still get the job done.

I may stop down to the Lester river after volleyball tonight but if you would like to meet up somewhere this afternoon to get it from me give a post.

I live on 45th Ave. east so I'm guessing you should be close by. I will post my cell number if you're still on line or I'll just check back later.

UMD, we will be at the parking lot on the North side of the river (look for Fords with FM stickers in the back). I also have an extra net and should be down there around 9:30-10:00

NORTHLANDER,

Are you going to lester?? We're gonna try there and check out park point. mybe see you at lester

Park Point wont happen because theres a ton of ice blown up on shore again.

Ill be at the lester between 10 and 11.

UMD look me up and we will get ya in the water. You will know what trucks mine it has FM sticker and my name on it. Maroon F150.

northlander hopefully ill run into u tonight will not make it down till after midnite cuz the wifes workin till at least then hopefully get some tonight my neihber just got back from the big lake and said wis point is iced up and most of park was open so who nows really want to pull the sain on the point saturday nit we will see

You guys are awsome!! BD110-sorry, i just got back, if you are still online, i will give you a call, if you don't want to post your cell # email me at raux0051 at d (Contact Us Please) umn (Contact Us Please) edu. that would be great. if not i will look to hook up with shiner and borrow his net.

thanks again.

i will be at lester around 9:30, i also have a ford with an aluminum tool box behind the cab,

Quote:

my neihber just got back from the big lake and said wis point is iced up and most of park was open so who nows

So now pk pt is open??

Has anyone been to any other rivers the last few days. I am coming up Friday night and the lester will be elbow to elbow and then some. To bad we cant get out on the point.

well apperantly my neibor is a (Contact Us Please) cuz i seen the ice is still on the point sorry to get the hopes up