• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I called the DNR a couple of years ago about which rivers are open to smelting--why some were posted as to no smelting. The French is an obvious no smelting stream because of the hatchery operation and the concentration of migratory rainbows. The other rivers which have the green "No Smelting" signs at the bridge crossings are posted because there is no legal access to the river/private property at the mouth. A vestige of the wild smelting days of the 70's with the bonfires, drinking, and littering. I've never understood the access situation at the Sucker--it appears posted and without access, yet we all can fish it. Whatever agreement allows anglers down doesn't go for smelting. Silver Creek and the Encampment are two others which I know are posted "No Smelting".

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• Surface Tension

I just looked at the MN DNR site--clicked on fishing/north shore report/smelt. They list the following streams as closed: French, Sucker, Little Sucker, Silver, Encampment, Crow.

I would like to get a 2gal bucket of fresh smelt when the run is on are there people around that would sell a few if I were to drive up there?

i don't know if anyone will sell you any, but im sure some would be more than willing to just give you some. I know i would. especially if the run is good. I haven't met anyone from this site that is greedy enough to sell a fellow FM"er a few smelt.

Anyways, I sure hope we can hit the tot lot this year if the ice leaves. I haven't dipped before in the rivers, only seined the lake.

Welcome Hawghunter. Ya if we ever get any I will be willing to help ya out.

Well hopefully the little fish will run at least a little this weekend. Still comeing up tomorrow, thanks to all of ya that are giveing the reports out. And by any chance you see a beat up tent trailer called "The Hillbilly Hut" stop in for a cocktail. I'll be camped out at probally the stewart or the knife. Later tongue.gif

Nothin again tonight. Guys all the way from Split Rock down to the Lester all reported the same thing. frown.gif

I'm willing to bet they'll start tomorow night just because my smelting partner is going to be out of town laugh.gif if not then after the rain this weekend grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

With the lows staying above freezing at night and the chance of rain, there could be a run this weekend.

Thanks for all the reports. Bought one of those Christainsens nets. Hope to use it. I here alot about the "TOT LOT" but not sure where that is. Is Park Point over the lift bridge and if so is that in Wisc? Still have my dip net but hasn't been in the Stewart for 15 yrs.

Park Point/Tot Lot is over the lift bridge and is in MN. As long as your standing on Park Point you can smelt any of those reachable waters with a Mn. license. 1 side is Lake Superior and the other is the St.Louis River and because its a boundry water you can fish it with either a MN. or Wi. license.

Steve, have you tried during the day at all? Im headed for the cities tonight @ 3am, and wont be back till sunday night...i hope those little buggers hold off a few more days!

your right at dusk and until sun up. Hey I'll be at the lester about 8p.m. I'll hope for the best. Look for a beat up jayco tent camper if any thing chaanges by, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey guys I prayed to the smelt god to let them run, so hopefully he likes me and it happens tonight grin.gif, I'm getting tierd of going down there for nothing tongue.gif

Munks Ill be there after work about 11pm.

I hear ya about showing up and nothing going on. Its getting expensive paying for all that gas.

Steve -

If ya want, ya can have my bin i bought for smelting, and if you have someone that wants to go with that can use my smelting net over the weekend your more than welcome to borrow it. as long as the tote box comes back full!!!

Let me know, im off to the cities @ 3am tonight, but from 10pm till 3am i'll be working a bit with the superior PD.

Lemme know...i can drop it off at your place around 930 or so on my way to the police dept.

Quote:

Munks Ill be there after work about 11pm.

I hear ya about showing up and nothing going on. Its getting expensive paying for all that gas.

Steve, I'll be heading down from the lodge tonight around 11, I'll stop at the Lester on my way by and see what is going on. Like an (Contact Us Please) I forgot my net, but I do have my waders. I'll just stand in the middle and see if I can feel them bouncing off me like last year grin.gif

14 pages on smelt and not a single one yet. Mother nature hates us. Has anyone netted just one.

Not 1. Nate Ill see ya there. Ill hopefully be at the lot on the side of the river. There shouldnt be too many people because theres no smelt.

Bring a few SS Nuts if ya can. If not anything darker will do. wink.gif

I'll see you there Steve, no SS Nuts, but I think I have something for you. grin.gif

You guys must have nailed em because you are still all sleeping and not posting your excellent results.

Exactly the opposite again. Not 1 smelt was seen. I couldnt sign on to FM last night when I got home. Or should I say this morning.

We basically sat around til 2pm hoping they would come in and enjoyed a few beverages.

Light rain today. Who knows maybe tonight is the night.

Ill be down again about 11pm.

Sorry about the errant post Steve. I was going back and forth between the two threads, and wondering why there were two with the same name, got knocked offline, when I got back on, I used My History to get to the site, and did not realize I was on the wrong one! frown.gif

Ok, reposting.

The MN DNR North Shore report from yesterday, indicated stream temps in the lower forties, during the afternoon heat of the day, and increased activity of the larger fish.

Unfortunately they only post every 3-4 days. frown.gif

If the temps rise 3-5 degrees, the smelt should start to show...hopefully. cool.gif

Any updates on the ice packs at the points, or lake water temps?

Thanks in advance for your effort and info!

Are there anybody smelting Park Point Tonight? I'm thinking about heading up there tonight...

This morning there was still a lot of ice against the point...I would think smelting the beach is out. River temps were in the low 40's even in the morning, so its getting there. I think everything is just late this year.

Where can a guy from the metro try smelting??? Just got the itch to do some... Is it worth it to come up tonight???

Fly, it is still pretty cold (water wise that is)....if you can wait, I would......lots of people we talked to last night drove up just for the run and they left empty handed.

Fly have you read any of the above posts? Read them and your questions will be answered. Nobody has gotten any smelt yet. Its up to you if its worth coming up or not. The points are iced in.