• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a thought. As soon as the ice leaves the point they will be there. I see the ice is not moving to much. we need some wind to blow it out. Is it shrinking at all after the rain you had up there? i was there at the rivers during the rain and it was a nice warm rain.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• Surface Tension

Nothing anyplace we looked. Lake is still very cold off the point. Ice still floating in spots but may be gone tomorrow if the wind doesnt blow it back.

Im getting sick of all this searching without reward. I may have to go out of town just to get a few.

Im not sure if the smelt really runs anymore up in Duluth area. Do they? I went last year and the year before every Saturday in April, and got skunk every single time...I did see some people get a few here and there, but it wasn't even enough for a meal... What is the max smelt anybody got up in duluth last year?

Last year was great people nailed them off of park point and my buddy and I did very very well at the lester , I ended up with a 20 gallen cooler full just from dip netting the lester could of had more if I really needed more, they'll show up just have to be paitent, I think the weather pattern we've had this last 3-4 weeks hot-cold-hot-cold really through things out of wack frown.gif but I got this feeling after this last rain when the river settles down they will come grin.gif Hopefully !!

Simmer down Northlander, you'll get your smelt. Heck it was about this date last year that they really got going. With the ice off the point it may have slowed em a bit. They will come thru.

Quote:

Im not sure if the smelt really runs anymore up in Duluth area.

The run last year was during the week.

I would like to head to the point but I think that ice is going to be there for quite a while yet.

SupaMan,

You're correct in the fact that the run is not the same as it was in the glory days. I'm not sure if it will ever be that way again. Lets just hope I'm wrong!!! grin.gif

I can only think of one time in the last ten years that we haven't been able to get all the smelt that we needed. I will say that the rewards come to those that put their time into zeroing in on the run.

Along with the invention of cell phones most others can stay home and catch up on their sleep. Which is a good thing because if more people were out checking and chatting we would most likely stay out even later.

On a plus side for this season. If the smelt are unable to work around my out of state trip coming up. I wont have to go through all the work of cleaning them.

Jiffy,

(Charcoal) Made for a good laugh!!! Thanks

Quote:

I had to have some fun with that one.

Real witty - I tried them out on the grill and they weren't very good.

supaman,

last year the last weekend in april is when 2 of my friends and myself got them at the stewart. We worked both night for only 15 gallons but at least we got some, but at least the bottle bass were easy to catch. grin.gif

Like BD said its not like the glory days but we always seem to get what we want. If your depending on Fri/Sat nights to be your smelting nights you may not get any because they could run during the week or you wont get to your spots on the weekend because theres too many people there.

With FM, Cel phones, e-mails etc. the lazy or out of towners can still keep up to date but when you hear they are starting to run on a monday and you dont come til friday dont say the smelt dont run anymore. wink.gif

I hope everyone gets their smelt and has a good/safe time doing so.

Ill be out with BD110 again tonight and hopefully we see our 1st smelt of the year.

Northlander,

We talk to you friday nite at the lester river were from virginia mn and you told us to check on fishingmn.com just wondering if you heard or caught any smelt?

thanks JRMS

Welcome aboard JRMS. Read above posts but no we havent seen smelt yet. Ice is off the point enough to get a few seigns in but water was still VERY COLD.

Nothing in the rivers or creeks and I heard from the grapevine that seversons hasnt seen any smelt in their nets either yet.

I know it sucks but all we can do now is keep trying.

Keep a eye here and Ill let ya know whats up when it happens.

Steve, if your going out tonight I'll probally see ya their my brother wants to go tonight for his first time so maybe he'll have beginers luck grin.gif

NL,

You headed back to the Lester or going to try the sand? I was just having lunch sitting in the copper top church lot, and there was one boat out trolling in front of/next to the entry. The sand was open down shore about 4 blocks, and the ice looked thin past thare aways.

If your heading out tonight I may join ya for a few pulls, just let me know where your gonna be at.

Xplorer - I walked that 4 block area last night with NL and BD110. Its clear, your right, but extremely cold. If the ice will stay out of there, and we keep up warm temps, its very possible that it may be a possibility by thursday or weekend. I wish i could make it out to the river tongiht with the guys, but the bar is calling me for more minnow money.

NL - Feel free to stop in for 1 and let me know how it went to night. Of course, if your still netting @ 2am, i'll be down there soon after! wink.gif

Chris Ill be at the Lester about 9-10pm and then will hit the sand if nothing happens at the Lester. Sand was very cold last night so I bet its a few more days at least.

Who knows I may just road trip tonight and go elsewhere for some silver.

BD110 what do ya say? Roadtrip? Call me.

Ashland Chamber of Commerce is posting on their website that the smelt run started on Saturday and that people are anticipating a peak in the next night or two!

NL, Cheffery and I will be at the Lester around 10:30............See you there

Ok. If you dont see my truck call me. Im either on PP or on a Silver Searching Road Trip. HMMM, Ashland, Rapids or just head south down 35? Who knows where the wind will blow me.

Headed out to take the Explorer for a run on the Louis now.

The Lester water temp as of this afternoon was 48 degrees Suckers where there thick. Smelt should be in soon smile.gif.

Hey thats a good sign the suckers were there last year too when smelters started running !!! See ya guys at the river grin.gif

Monks, check out page 3 of this forum, for pickling discussion. wink.gif

Has anyone checked park point? Looked like the ice might be clearing close to the bridge?? Have only looked on my way down the hill.

Got a guy reporting on the fishduluth smelt report, 2-3 smelt per pull tonight, South Shore Brule River.

Also two total smelt reported out of the Lester, last Saturday night. ooo.gif

They are starting to move... though slowly. smile.gif

Can some-body help me.. i need to buy a new smelt net.. (pole) where and a good $$ thank-you.