• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just missed you Northlander, I met ripstick though. we did well on the point tonight as well. It was alot of work but alot of fun as well. Thanks again for all the reports!!!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• Surface Tension

Smelting------- Sand Wresting confused.gif. Do not ever take Steve on you will lose blush.gif. Well Steve thank you for your help and Gary and Casey we had a good time smelt are still small and lots of males. Still will be good the next two days if we can get out. Good Luck to all. cool.gif.

kgp I probably passed you as I walked out. I was carrying a seign and a orange bucket on it. Glad you got some smelt.

we hit them hard straight out of the totlot. there was more smelt then i have seen in a long time. i filled a 5gallon pail full but thats all i want and need. the group right next to me filled a chest cooler full plus 5 pails, didn't speak any english, russian i believe. and mong on the other side of me had way more than the russians. kinda ticked me off though, they were useing a 35 or 40 foot seign. don't know for sure but was way way bigger than the 25 foot i was using. i said something to them but you know how that goes. but all in all was the best smelt that i have personally seen in a few years.

didn't know where anyone from here was so i just went to the tot. did very well and thats all that matters i guess.

was thinking on going again tonight, but havent made up my mind yet. let me know if anyone is going tonight. later..

kgpcr4 good to meet you and welcome to the forum. It was a good nite even the tom and steve sand show wasnt bad. Best was tom getting run over by a net (his own).

Beaverlakeman - glad I talked to you last night. Thanks again for helping fill my pail. Did you guys end up buying a seine today?

Beaverlake I have TIPS and numbers to local DNR officers in my cel for times just like that. Some of those guys got nailed last year for the same thing. Either the word didnt get passed down in the community or they just dont care. No excuse either way. Especially when you get a copy of the regs with your fishing license.

Im glad to see people are getting smelt. Im also glad to see that at least most people are taking only what they will use and they arent winding up as fertilizer or in the dump.

Good to meet you to Ripstick! It was a great night all in all. We quit with 3/4 of a cooler full wich is exactly what we wanted. I agree with you 100% Northlander with the people who dont play by the rules. Not all of my smelt made it to the frezer or the frying pan. My chocolate lab ate a few when i was cleaning them. She liked them too! Other than that i wont waste a one. Smelt should not be wasted. take what you will use and no more!

Quote:

we hit them hard straight out of the totlot. there was more smelt then i have seen in a long time. i filled a 5gallon pail full but thats all i want and need. the group right next to me filled a chest cooler full plus 5 pails, didn't speak any english, russian i believe. and mong on the other side of me had way more than the russians. kinda ticked me off though, they were useing a 35 or 40 foot seign. don't know for sure but was way way bigger than the 25 foot i was using. i said something to them but you know how that goes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 20 foot seign was the biggest you can smelt with. I would of called the tip line, it don't matter if they speak english or not, let the court judge them. I was there yesterday night too, I did passed them when they were taken off but didn't see the seign they were using. We did get our fill of smelts, Between the three of us we got 3 buckets in 4 hours and left at 2:30. That's enough smelts for me this year.

25' is the biggest you can use without a commercial license. Thats what all the Christiansons we are using are. With the "condom" of course.

Tonight was a bust. WAY too much wind, waves and work than it was worth.

Ya got that right Northlander. Buddies from out of town called and I told 'em there were some to be had if you were willing to work for them. Soooo... we hit the point last nite, or should I say the point hit us:) 2 smelt per pull, I think we got about 30 before everyone was soaked and beat up by the surf:( Drove up and tried dipping the Knife and Stewert about 1-2 am, nada, zippo. Oh well, at least I didn't have to drive 3 hours home:)

was finally nice to put a face to the name nice meeting you northlander and also BD110 thanks for the advise and use of the sock sein was really crazy on the lake side we did get wet goin to go try tonight wind permitting but goin to bring dip nets with this time

Thanks again northlander and BD110 nice meeting you see ya out there

stoped at the lester lastnight and got 2 smeltthen desided to try the point we worked the sein about 100ft from the break wall and ended up with about 15 gallons of smelt and 20 gallons of water in my waders. they seemed to be concentrated near that wall when you enter by the bridge. All and all worth the effort.

No way I was pulling in that crappy weather. It was what I would call dangerous. It just wasnt worth it at all last night.

Who knows maybe tonight again. BD110 call me on the cel later.

Just got through bagging up 64 bags of a dozen to 15 a piece and several gallon bags.

Also salted up 15 dozen smaller ones for walleye bait.

Went down and checked out the action or lack of. Guys were getting some but it was pretty slow all over. It may just be over but who knows. Im thinking with all the small males still being caught its either rapping up or still has another 3 days or so.

Good to meet you last night Steve, and your buddy, I did not get his name.

Tried dipping the Lester from 8:30 PM to about 11:30 PM, everyone got NADA, except one guy dipped an eel/lamprey?

I did not see it up close.

Then went to the TotLot beach, did not have a seine, so I walked the beach observing, and most were getting about 2 dozen a pull.

I tried dipping the Big Gulp, but no success.

Then a group of seiners had mercy, and let me pull a few, and then they pulled a couple more for me. Tough pulling for me, they made it look easy. I need to sharpen my technique.

Got about 45 little fishes, the first pull, then about 24 the next two, then less, and so on, until the final pull yielded one whopping smelt! grin.gif

Hats off to GottaGo, and his crew!

You saved me from a return home... skunked.

Thanks one more time guys!

Hope to see you next year and return the favor, if I have recovered by then! grin.gif

nice seeing you again last night northlsnder

the wife and kids send out a monster THANK YOU to BD110 for letting us use his sein even though i did hsve mine there man im sold on those christianson nets i will have one for next year

we did get some for a meal or 2 and ill put a dozen in the freezer for fishin THANKS AGAIN my kids had a blast

mikie,

It was good to meet you during the last couple of nights. You're more then welcome for the use of the net. I'm glad you were able to get a meal of smelt.

I'm very sold on these nets and as we talked about last night, looking at them as someone else is using them and actually giving one a test drive are two different things.

I have a few plans for this evening and I also told the wife when I made it home last night that I was done for the season. I guess it wouldn't be the first time I had a change of plans.

Mikie I look forward to meeting up with you through out the fishing season and during some of the FM gatherings we set up through out the year. The trick now is to see if we can recognize each other without waders and camo jackets. grin.gif

Northlander, I'll try and call you after 9:00 tonight and see what's up.

MOBY,

I was the guy with Northlander. Sorry if I didn't tell you my handle. It was good to meet you and I look forward to doing so again.

Did so well on Thursday the 3rd that it took us until Sunday night to bag and clean all those silver buggers - but I am pleased to say not even 1 was wasted and my formerly empty freezer is now packed with smelt and ready for enticing some lakers and northerns. Definately a good run this year - hope to see things similar next year. Based on others reports and other buddies - sounds like things have tapered off quite a bit. I still would like to get the young kids down there for an early night of fun but I think it may be too late. Good luck to all who continue to brave those waves but be safe - I was knocked down one time from a wave this year and I go 200+.

For everyone fortunate enough to take the generous information shared here - glad you did not go home empty handed. We too shared our net with others and taught techniques that proved to increase the catch. A few guys from the cities were up and were getting less than 5 a pull - we let them use the Christianson condom and they went home after only 1 pull with all they could handle. See you on the big pond again soon.

Cruizin

Steve, I'll give you call later and see if you need any help getting anymore. I don't need any more myself.

Casaloma, have you made it down there to get any smelt yet? Between work, sick kids and the wind tonights the first chance i've had in a week to get down there.

I will pull if someone NEEDS some smelt. Im thinking the "run" is dwindling down now. Sounds like all the way down the point it was the same story.

I do have a guy who wants 10 gallons so I may work on that. If its as slow as last night though it will be a quick night.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Been gone most the time for the past 3 weeks and still need to get out and get my smelt. Tonight will be the night for me.

I'll call and see what you guys have planned.

If I buy a sein and go down to the lake, would any one be willing to help pull?

BD110/Tom, good to meet you too. I was in a hurry to get down to the beach and you guys were in a hurry to leave, and I forgot to make your aquaintance as well. Maybe see you guys there next year... unless I get the itch the next couple nights! grin.gif

Catching the little critters again after 25 years, made for a memorable experience.

Chadwick just show up at the Tot Lot about 8pm and you can pull with S.T. and I. Ill have my seign.

I also still don't have any smelt and will be willing to pull so if it is ok with you guys I will see you down there.

Steve,

Lota gave me a call it sounds like he may be heading down tonight. I'll give one of you guys a call later tonight.

sounds like there will be a few of us down there tonight (point)

Northlander- Sounds good. what will you be wearing so I can pick you out from the crowds beter?

I will have my camo waders and jacket, and the same orange baseball cap w/ the trout on it I was wearing at the french.

I just got my sein, I went last week and had a blast, got some fish, but I need to learn some more technique.

are 7.5 foot poles long enought?

Those poles will be fine. I wont plan on pulling but will bring my seign and Bd110 will have his and Frank may bring his. Skipperskid may be coming as well but doesnt answer his phone. Phone tag Tom and your it. grin.gif

Ill be down about 8pm.

Chadwick Im 6'6" and 270# so I doubt there will be anyone bigger there. Ill have a black Grand Slam Walleye Hat on with a blue light on the bill.