• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hammered them at the end of the point last nite. got there at midnight or so and left at 1:30 with 25 gallons. not too bad for 10 pulls. grin.gif we will be back tonite and im hoping for the wind to keep them by shore again grin.gif

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• MOBY RICHARD*

3 of us got about 4.5 gallons last nite and it took 3 hours to clean them all, how do you keep sane? The camera crews were down there and they filmed our group hauling our seines and intervied a few of us. If you happen to see smelting in the news and see footage with a guy with a blue light stick on his waders and a orange baseball hat with a trout on it, thats me. It was my first tim ever smelting and I will be back.

Ill be at the airport tonight about 11pm if anyone wants to help pull the seign. Now that everyone has a few smelt they dont want to pull the seign no more.

Steve if you think we can get out i will come and help pull. I will drive up after work from St. Cloud. let me know if you think we can get out on the point. i will be the BIG guy 6'3" 320lbs with camo waders.

Anybody have any photos from this year's runnin'? I'd love to see any you might have, even tho I suppose they'd be in the pitch dark, eh.

How are the waves? We'll be going to the point tonight and I'd hate to get swept away, haha! frown.gif Do the winds usually calm down once it gets later?

A few of us are considering making our virgin trip up tonight. Since it was a spontaneous idea we could use some pointers from anyone that is willing to help out a couple rookies. Or, if anyone needs any help pulling in the nets point us in that direction too.

UMD- were you the one with pockets full o smelt?? If so, thanks for the boost to my bucket. Looks like the waves are crashing into Park Point pretty good right now- even more so than yesterday. Hopefully they subside a bit as it looks like there's a few of ya that are making quite a journey to get some of these lil buggers. Good luck all.

Ya the waves are really hitting the points right now. The wind settled down last night but waves were still a bugger and the wind was COLD. Tonight could very well be a bust so I wouldnt drive a long ways. If you do and you cant get on the point you can always go dip net the Lester and maybe get a ice cream pail.

We would be coming up from Cambridge. Where is the Lester? Are there any other rivers that we could try dip netting? Our plan was to try to either help some guys seine or dip net on our own. But, if the waves are crashing too hard, maybe we wait until next year? Thanks in advance for any help.

A buddy and myself took tomorrow off to come down smelting tonite dose anyone think tonite gonna be "THEE" nite?? we are gonna give it a try anyways just for something to do.

A BAD NIGHT SMELTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!!!!

Here's a pic, but no one is pulling their nets. Must have been taking a break. smile.gif It's from Saturday. Wish we had conditions like this tonight!

totlot.jpg

anyone trolled park point for coho's?? might head up north and see if my dad wants to take out his boat this weekend...HOPEFULLY hes game. Anyways, anyone's insight would be appriciated!

I was out for 2.5 hours last sunday morning before the winds kicked us off. Hooked 2, lost one at the back of the boat and landed one.

FYI, there is a small craft advisory until saturday night for the nearshore area, 3-5' waves forecasted with east winds from 18-38. I had planned on trying it tomorrow AM but think that I will wait and try sunday instead. Winds dolook like they will subside on monday (of course crazy.gif)

Smelting seems to be at almost peak. Females are starting to run eggs in the nets and pails so water temp must be right.

Last night was the hardest nights of smelting I can remember. We got smelt but the undertow was crazy and would stop you dead. Be very careful seigning off the points because of this.

I think we will have 2-3 more days of good smelting then it will be WALLEYE time. Bring it on!

See ya on the point tonight. Dont feel like you have to be at 1 spot. Everyone all the way down the beach did well last night even though a lot of their smelt were washed out at shore by the waves.

Viking call me when you get in town and Ill tell ya where Im going to be.

steve, thanks for the help pulling last night.

we made it home before 3:30 and now start the process of snipping and gutting them little buggers.

yep, she was a tough pull. hard to believe them schmeldt can even be up in the shallows trying to spawn with that kind of wave activity. there were times when it felt like we hooked a stump I swear.

I wouldn't want to loose my ballance out there. it could be the end of a guy shocked.gif

if corey and dan read this, it was nice meating you fellers.

thank you for the help as well.

Ya Corey and Dan thanks a lot and welcome to FM. Jiggles Ill see ya soon enough. Ill try to get up your way next year before ours get started. It was nice to meet you dad and uncle. That little guy aint so little anymore. Had to have grown a foot since I last saw him.

Those little buggers will be tasty. Enjoy.

Did they run well enought to get a few pails full last night on the point? I am looking for 5 gallons or so and am planning on coming up tonight.

If you have a decent seign and the winds calm down a 5 gallon pail should be doable. If the winds dont die down it will be some work like last night.

hey steve, if you need help pulling a net ill give it a try tonight. haven't been out since last friday i got 75 of them. i dont know where you will be i will try and email you my phone number if you want to call. thanks.

Jeremy

guess i can't email you. your private messege is turned off, so ill just put it here and if you get it will you delete it. thanks..

Done Jeremy. You should be able to e-mail me at my addy below my name any time. Its been working fine. Steve

pastfan-no that was not me, i had an icecream pail with a makeshift duct tape cover, camo waders and yellow cap.

good luck to you guys i'm done, got enough of them little buggers for a first timer.

Hey guys great reading. Picked up about 50 earler this week. It is going to be windy as all get out! frown.gif Everyone be safe. Hey I need some help tying 14lb mono to lead core. I tried the blood but slid threw when wet. Rainbow has'em for 4.99 a pound. Be safe! grin.gif

All the rivers ahve been SLOW. Lester was the best rteport and thats slow.

Raining in Souptown now. Im not to fired up about this now that I found out the DNR is telling bait shops not to buy Lake Superior Smelt because it will get transported to other waters. frown.gif

Northlander pleeze kneel... Schwing..Schwing... Schwingggg...

I dub you the official, non-official, FM.com Smelt Liaison for the Duluth/ Ely/ Range.

Feel the Love Steve; many here do! Your great sacrifice is noted by all! cool.gif

Thanks a lot for the LOVE Casa. I appreciate you to man.

Well guys I had to find out if Skipperskid knew the difference between Quarts and Gallons tonight. After tonight I owe Tom a Big apology! Skippers Kid I crown you the "Hottest Net On The Beach"! With your help we put on a show didnt we?

Ripstick and Papa Woodie thanks a lot for your help as well.

I think we filled about everything we had. All in all I would say around 40 plus gallons and Skiperskid and Ripstick were still at it when I left.

Now Tom dont go getting a big head because everyone knows who the Smelting Sand Wrestling Champ is. grin.gif

Although you and Gary put one heck of a lickin on me with that Christianson. OUCH! "Look Out!" shocked.gif

It was fun even though it was a LOT of work. Thanks for the fun guys. Nights like tonight are what FM is all about.

WOW! Sorry I missed it guys, I guess that is what persistance is for..........Steve, BD110, and everyone else, thanks for the updates, stories and memories.....