• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lander, it is exactly like I told it.

like I said, maybe he got his days mixed up.

I have been out there when the smelting is like he says, but I GUARANTEE it was no where near the millions he was talking about.

I walked up and down the shore lines wading out and I could see fish staging to come in but not alot like last year.

in the shallows I would see a smelt every 20 feet or so.

that is by no means hot and heavy.

fish swimming in between your feet while you are rinsing is hot and heavy.

there are only a couple people that were out there whom I did not know, but they were with people I did know.

if the king was one of them I will find out.

this is no different than the situation you have down there.

the smelting parties of the old days are only memories.

there is a reason for that.

any respectable runs now are kept low key and the smelters such as yourself, frank and the other locals police the beach and maintain peace and quiet.

fires are kept to a dull roar so's not to have the authorities put an end to smelting altogether.

we have the potential to get out of hand here as well.

the last year before bridgeside was closed, there was nearly a hundred people on the beach at one time, two wheel drive pickups getting stuck in the volley ball court, big four wheel drives jerkstrapping them out etc.

no, it's not a big secret, but we dont flap our jaws to the world about the goings on. why would anybody?

I have posted pictures, but given no details.

to tell the world wide web that there are millions of smelt going right now and here's where is idiotic.

they will close off the property to us all together.

I have and still continue to offer to take people out and I do take at least a couple new people each year.

each of you are welcome to come any time.

email me and I will keep you posted on the progress of the run as I see it.

I hate to see people drive hours for little or nothing though sometimes there isnt much we can do about it.

most times, if you keep in touch with me, we will hit the mark.

police your beach's.

pack out more garbage than you came in with and we will be enjoying our outdoors for many more years.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• MOBY RICHARD*

I think jigglestick is right. I was at Zorbas last Sunday night and we ran 2 seine's and worked our butts off to get about 4 gallons. I have only heard one good report from Pokegama and that was from a reliable source. Supposedly some guys brought in 115 lbs of smelt to Cub Foods in Grand Rapids last Saturday. Other than that it's been a few here and there. I got some put up for tip up bait, put some in the smoker, fried some up and gave about a gallon away. That's enough for me for the year! Now where's those early crappies? grin.gif

Brian

You never know...... I was at "a lake" last week and we got five gallons in about two minutes and then they were gone. You have to be in the right spot at the right time. It is never the same. I guess this guy just has a better spot than you guys. tongue.gif keep on keepin on wink.gif

The ice has moved away from the point ,,,with a good wind the water should warm up some

Randoid

According to my outdoor news calender today is labeled as "GREAT LAKES SMELT RUNNING" given that info today is the day. grin.gif

From what I saw the Lester was slow again last night. It could have picked up after 1am but I havent heard any different.

Like Loonasea said the ice is off the points and hopefully for good. With this warm weather/sun and westerly winds any of the next several nights could have them poppin.

I think Im going to try Wi. Point tonight and if that dont cut it maybe hit Mn. Point after.

Jiggles I know what your sayin man. It amazes me how many slobs can bring their beer cans etc. out on the rivers/lakes full but then later on when they leave the emptys are too heavy to carry out. Plain old lazy and ungrateful!!!

Like Jiggles says pack it out!

Orlip I sure hope you and your calender are right.

we stayed at our spot until 3:00 last night and with several pulls, we ended up geting 1 gallon.

they are either going to go like crazy, or my fear is that they had a run while the ice was still on the lake.

I dont really recall a spring like this so I have nothing to compare it to.

we could be all done?

If that's the case, I expect the big lake they call gichigumi will run hard and fast and be over in just a short period of time.

I think it will be worthwhile to drag your Christianson sein tonight. Seivertson hasn't caught much in his pond nets yet so you probably haven't missed much. I think I'll take an afternoon nap so I can stay up past my bedtime.

Captain Peter

Pete I think your right. I have the next 4 nights to seign so Im hitting it hard. I seen seversons this am and it didnt look like they were to busy at the net I saw them at.

Will it be worth a shot coming up from the twin cities tonight? How's Park Point looking? Thanks for the updates.

Back in 1992 i believe the spring was kind of like this,there was ice on the point until opening weekend of fishing. we went up the monday of opening weekend. the ice had blown off the point the day before. it was 75 and calm when we hit duluth. when we pulled up to the end of the point there was a guy coming over the hill from the lake. i asked him if there was any smelt in and his reply was, a few. well the first pull we made we filled a 48qt. cooler. it was a great night!! the northern lights we out it was dead calm and all the smelt you would want. Personaly i dont beleve the smelt spawn under the ice but what do i know. i know that year they didnt. i would post pics but they are the old film pics not digital or i would.

Not a smelting report but did fish park point this morning and water temps were @40 all the way down the sand about 1.5 miles. Then there was some ice that was still floating around. I did mark smelt as we trolled along in 12-25'.

Dylan picked up one coho (his first Superior fish smile.gif ) and lost another behind the boat and headed in when the winds picked up. Cant make it down tonight but planning on being at the totlot tomorrow night.

The coho was excellent on the grill tonight grin.gif

I guess if I was in the cities and wanted smelt I would get up here in the next couple days. Reports are coming in from some south shore creeks etc that smelt ran ok there last night. If you can make it tonight or tomorrow I would do it.

Dont get caught up in the tot lot and bridge game because you can get smelt down by the airport as well. Some years we get more there than any place else. Its more a matter of being in the water when that big wave of smelt comes through.

Good luck everyone and be safe.

I GOT MORE SMELT THAN I COULD POSSIBLY HANDLE LAST NIGHT!!

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist: it was at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Frazee at their annual smelt fry. smirk.gif No secret as to where they got 'em, either: Ketter's Meat Market in Frazee.

I know... I was cheated out of the frozen fun of chasing the li'l critters down, but somehow that did not significantly diminish the pleasure of chowing down. Those folks do it up right!

Seriously, this has been the most fun reading the last month or so. Brings back a lot of memories. Northlander and the rest: what a great thread this has been. The timely reporting has made it almost like being there, leaky boots and all!

Well guys not much to report again. Started out on Park Point and the guys were getting a few but nothing fancy. We pulled 2 seigns off and on and only got maybe 3/4 of a 5 gallon pail from 8:45 to midnight. Wind switched from north/northwest and went north east and it cooled off. Water temp still cool. Im guessing about low 40's when we left. It had been 45 or so in spots during the day.

Im going to troll the point for som Coho tomorrow and find the warmest water and smelt there tomorrow night.

Its got to happen soon. Either that or we had a dud of a run this year. confused.gif

Oh and Wi. Point wasnt any good either from what Cheffrey saw on his way home.

Steve

It was nice running into you, Tom, and the other guys last night. I went down to the airport but there was ice there. Checked the tot lot, pretty spotty, came back to just S. of where I met you and did a few pulls with my brother. Averaged only about 8 smelt/pull so we went home and went to bed.

Northlander, you be able to give me directions to the airport and other areas. I'm from the cities and only know Park Point. Any info would be appreciated. [email protected]

Thanks.

Northlander,

What side of park point were you on? we were down there on saturday night and there was still ice on the point lake side.

We were on the lakeside of park point. I checked a few spots and none were really going good. Todays winds are hitting the shore pretty good with whitecaps. If it settles down tonight should be ok but if it dont we will have to dip net creeks/rivers.

To get to the airport just drive straight over the lift bridge and all the way down the point. It dead ends at the airport. If the waves are to big I would try seigning the bay side and see waht ya do. Its always worth a shot.

Pete nice meeting you as well. Maybe see ya tonight. Ill be starting where I saw ya if the waves let us work.

Looks like rain coming in now. May be a wash or get out the rain gear.

Steve

According to a friend of mine you left a couple hours to early last night. Can you give me a call if you find a place to drag tonight?

I would have called but I dont have your number Pete.

Tonight was a bust. Lester was dead and the point wasnt much better. Waves were big and not many smelt. Bay side was nothing but shiners.

Hopefully she flattens out tomorrow and we can siegn up a bunch.

I saw the same thing. A few were trying in the surf, but it wasn't worth the effort. Lester was pretty dead. I didn't try the bay. Word from Ashland is that the run is over. Hope for the right conditions, the point could still payoff.

My number is on my website. I am listed in the guides section

Happy Hooker Charters

Lester was ok for a bit last night. From 10:30-12:00 a few came in--ended up with 80. The females were spilling eggs. My season's best scoop--4 smelt! That says something about the season. Netted the largest smelt I've ever seen. As I held it to admire it, the smelt gave a final twist and a flip in a bid for freedom and now it has joined the legions of the "one that got away". A real moby dick of a smelt.

Quote:

Lester was ok for a bit last night. From 10:30-12:00 a few came in--ended up with 80. The females were spilling eggs. My season's best scoop--4 smelt! That says something about the season. Netted the largest smelt I've ever seen. As I held it to admire it, the smelt gave a final twist and a flip in a bid for freedom and now it has joined the legions of the "one that got away". A real moby dick of a smelt.

how many inches??

We were at park point from 9-3:30am. It was me and my bros, We were the ones with the 2 lanterns. I think everybody did manage to get some to bring home for the frying pan. I was surprise everybody left around 2:00am, we had one of our biggest pull at 2:45. We did manage to get a few after that but decided it was time to pack up. I have to say that we worked our butt off for 6 hours and manage to get a 1/2 bucket of 5 gallon. Oh well, thinking about going back there this weekend, hopefully we'll have better luck next time.

Chadwick--not able to give you the length/pounds for the smelt. It did leave a bow wake as it swam off. Stay out of the water!