• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'll be down at lester in about 30 to 45 minutes. ill have camo waders on and a pro form 5 gallon pail. see some of you down there.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• kgpcr4

• Nate McVey

• MOBY RICHARD*

Haha, no problem. But, the wind is supposed to change and warmer by the lake this wknd, so who knows?? smile.gif

I am on my way here there now also. Bright Red new body style F150 W dual Exhaust. Camo waders, and a 45 gallon tote tub. I'll probably try up river a bit. Steve, i'll see ya down there.

Very slow on the Lester again tonight. frown.gif

Water still cold for this time of year. Hopefully it happens this year on the Lester. Not looking good though.

Park Point wont happen this weekend with all the ice on there and the smaller creeks arent happening either.

Oh well thats smelting for ya.

Took the boat out yesterday morning and had hoped to get out on the lake for a bit. Unfortunatly the ice flow beat us to the entry, when we got there at 9 it was plugged full of chunks and skim ice with about 100 yards more outside the entry, bummer. Instead just took a ride around the river for a bit. Water was really dirty and temps were 47 next to the ice chunks and 51 under the highbridge. Did see one set of smelt nets out off the small beach just inside the harbor.

Hoping the west winds blow out the ice this weekend, planning on trying to get out again sunday afternoon and smelt the point that night.

Does anyone know where I can buy about a 5 gallon pail full? I want to get some for eating and some for bait for myself and my father who lives in Colorado.

michael

Walleye King - At this point I don't believe many people are getting five gallons for themselves let alone five gallons to give away. When the start running (if they even do) would be a better time to ask this question. Hopefully they will start soon and I/we will have some extra to give to you. I usually give away most of the ones I clean and keep the others for bait. i think they are nasty after they have been frozen. Fresh is the only way I will eat them.

WW

Quote:

Does anyone know where I can buy about a 5 gallon pail full? I want to get some for eating and some for bait for myself and my father who lives in Colorado.

Before you start transporting Lake Superior smelt into Colorado you may want to check out some of the information on Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (not to mention other fish diseases).

Just sayin'....

"Before you start transporting Lake Superior smelt into Colorado you may want to check out some of the information on Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (not to mention other fish diseases)."

I was going to seal them in a food saver then freeze them whole. Would this kill off any diseases? I never even thought about it, guess I better check into it or forget it!

Thanks-

Michael

I heard some friends got some on the bay side of the point down at the end by the airport for seaplanes last night. when i asked him how many he got he told me they filled a small cooler wich is all they want is about 3-4 gallons for one big smelt fry this saturday night.I have gotten them there in years past. that may be the ticket for them this year being its this early. I am coming up tonight and am going to check it out after i hit the rivers. Its been years since i dipped any so I have a hankering to fill a cooler that way!

FREEZING DOES NOT KILL VHS!!!!!

Infact, I think with the new rules in place, one cannot use smelt from Lake Superior to fish anywhere else but Lake Superior. Contact your local DNR for info. Let not transmit this virus to ANY of our inland lakes! DO YOUR PART! grin.gif

Hearing that those little things are carying viruses kind of makes you wonder about eating them hu?

So can you use smelt for bait when fishing for loopers and steelhead? Would they eat them?

I think that salting them may kill the VHS. At least that is what I was told from a bait shop owner. Somebody reported to the http://fishduluth.com smelt report that they had caught smelt somewhere near Ely. North Arm? Does anyone know where that is?

From what I heard VHS isnt harmful to humans. Is that correct?

North arm of Burntside maybe?

That's all I see too - Burntside Lake. Where do smelt come from anyway? That sounds dumb but can you get them on inland places besides the big lakes?

Viral Hemorragic Septicemia virus/VHSv/VHS frown.gif

According to the Wisconsin DNR, it is not considered harmful to humans. Some things to keep in mind though, is that it is a Virus, and Hemmorragic, which means it is difficult to combat, and causes bleeding, externally and internally, causing the fish's demise. They bleed to death. frown.gif

Also, it will not be limited to smelt, but all types of fishes, in all the bodies of water where it is introduced.

So far reported in Lake Huron, in Chinook, Walleye, and lake Whitefish, and thought to have been brought into the ports of Lake Superior by discharge of ballast water...again. frown.gif

So far not found in Lake Michigan fishes, though believed to be there.

With all the various diseases/virus being discovered in fish and game, one must become ever more careful in the handling and preparation, just as in commercialy produced foods.

Sounds like preservation of baits from these waters, by methods other than refrigeration or freezing, may allow use in other waters, but they do not specify proper ingredients and procedures for the preservations. confused.gif

They also mention the Mississippi in this article, as far as killing your fish, not transferring live fish or eggs, and draining boat and live well, something many of us forget, after a long day of fishing. blush.gif

the virus is not harmful to us . As far as the smelting hopeful for tonite or sat nite.

VHS does not harm humans (as of now). There are some articles and more information on VHS in this forum where you can answer those questions.

Well nobody has to worry about any VHS at this rate. Smelting Very slow again tonight at the Lester and guys that were at Chester and the bay didnt do anything either from what I heard.

Northlander, You are doing an awsome job with the reprots. thanks. It looks like another year I won't be able to make it up there for smelting. My daughter decided she would move this weekend and guess who has to help her. the next two weeks I have jury duty. So there is no way to take off any time during the week. so unless they start running first weekend in may (which is highly unlikely) I won't be able to make it up there again.

well, just got back from lester. was very slow, but if you keep at it you get 1 or 2 here and there. it adds up . in the 7 hours i was there i ended up with 70 smelt. northlander,, those two guys i was fishing bye both were in the 70 to 80 smelt range as well.

BIG difference from last night. i got 5 smelt last night in 5 hours. I really think that they will be in full swing pretty soon. I personally think sunday night will be a night to not miss. just have that gut feeling.

well, off to get some shut eye, only to wake in 4 hours to cut fire wood to last the winter.

Good luck all this weekend. I'll be down there sunday night for sure. Later

For you out-of-towners... The wind is from the west today and the ice is leaving the point..

Hooker I sure hope it stays out this time. I need to get the Christianson wet.

Im sure it will be a day or two to warm that point water up then it should go quick. Could be a short seigning season this year.

Thanks for the report.

I'm from Grand Rapids and if you guys want smelt but aren't getting any, come to Pokegama. The beach in front of Zorbaz has been good but last night I was at the islands and I have never seen anything like it. I could have filled my 16' boat. One pass with the seine was about 15 gallons. The whole sand bar was full of smelt. MILLIONS!!!! They aren't those wall hangers that come out of superior but I think the little ones taste better anyways. GOOD LUCK

Nice to have you aboard with us Pete! Lot's of boats were out on the lake this am. Just wish mine was one of them.

I was at lester river and got 7-of them in 4-hours.. friday night.. not worth keeping.. I think a few of them wgt over a lbs... lol laugh.gif

I was from the Stewart to the Lester and it was super slow! now that the ice is blowing off it should be game on for the point! keep up the post's on the ice on the point!

Quote:

I'm from Grand Rapids and if you guys want smelt but aren't getting any, come to Pokegama. The beach in front of Zorbaz has been good but last night I was at the islands and I have never seen anything like it. I could have filled my 16' boat. One pass with the seine was about 15 gallons. The whole sand bar was full of smelt. MILLIONS!!!! They aren't those wall hangers that come out of superior but I think the little ones taste better anyways. GOOD LUCK

must be a small world crappie king, I too was out there last night. pretty much knew every body out there.

there were smelt, but no where close to what you were saying.

maybe you have your days mixed up?

pulls averaged one to two dozen smelt for any of the three groups of people that were there.

we had to work hard for the two buckets we got.

rumors are that the fish ran under the ice but I can't believe the main part of the run has happened yet, but then, I'm used to nets freezing when you pull them out of the water and snowflakes coming down when we are pulling.

instead, I am seeing the temperature clocks reading 58 degrees when I roll through town at 3:00 a.m.

I will keep going for another couple weeks, most every night.

why dont you stop by my fire and introduce yourself.

I got something I'd like to say to you in person.

steve, keep us posted. I wouldn't mind pulling down on park point. havent been down there for a few years now.

Long time no hear there Jiggles. So is Crappie stretching it or are you covering so you dont get all our "Tourists" up your way? wink.gif