• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lake access rates

dmengel

Just FYI the young man that missed the bridge got turned around and lost track of which way he was going. Three trucks, two frozen operaters and a late night he went on his way...uncharged other then his road pass.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadyzr

• Random guy

• kelly-p

• DancesWithWaves

Speaking of access rates. I was up earlier this year just before the new late night disco opened up at Hillmans tongue.gif

How late is it open. I usually get into town after hours and buy my road passes the next day.

I think the rate is a deal. We went out (6.5 miles) of Hillmans this weekend, got up Saturday AM and truck would not start (Diesel) some guys stopped that were on their way off the ice and asked where we accessed and said they would be glad to stop at Hillmans for us and tell them we need help. Less than 25 minutes later there was help, he gave us a jump and still wouldnt go, he went went back had someone in a pickup follow him back out with honda generator.

They unloaded it gassed it started it and plugged it in. He said he would be back in 3 hours after the block heater had done its work. He came back a little less than 3 hours later, gave us a jump & we were good to go. He had to call the guy again to come back out get the generator as it wouldnt fit in the back of his Explorer. He waited for his guy in truck to get there loaded generator ad was going to leave till I asked how much I owed him, he said "what ever you think is fair". I gave him a 50 and thanked him, he said thank you and off he went. It was cold and windy, he made 3 trips on and off the ice and probably paid someone else to make 2 trips with the generator. These guys are out there all day every day running their (Contact Us Please) off & I doubt any one either renting houses, resorts, lake access or guides are getting rich from this work. I am assuming the man in the explorer with the front bumper almost off was Buddy & I have seen Kelly doing similar stuff a couple years ago when I was up there last. These guys all deserve more than they make for what they do for us & never really ask for it. They are like Energizer Bunnies of the ice (except they might have a few adult beverages when the day is done).

Buy these guys drinks, pay for every day you are on the lake, Tip the guide. if the extra few $ is going to break you, you probably shouldnt be out there in the first place then.

I was just having this conversation with the guy I went up with this weekend. He has a 8x20 Ice Castle that he brings on the ice each time he goes out for the weekend. $8 each day while on the ice is nothing compared to the rates he pays when he goes down to Mille Lac's or even when the house has stayed on ML for the year. For those of us paying the cost of a daily fee on URL should be thankful compared to other fees in the state.

Another thing to consider when complaining about an extra $8. Add up all the other money you have spent to get to URL for a trip. Gas, lodging, bait, lures, food,etc. and then ask yourself "what is an extra $8 for a pass?" I have no problem supporting the fee. Granted I haven't had any mishaps on the ice, but sounds like Kelly-p, John P, and others have your best interest and safety. My life doesn't have a $$$ attached to it, so I'll pay the $8 in case a time does arise.

I think the guys that are hard at work making us roads and putting those bridges over the heaves do a heck of a job and all the work you guys do is appreciated! Makes at least my trip up to URL more enjoyable..I'm sure it makes others too.

Quote:

if the extra few $ is going to break you, you probably shouldnt be out there in the first place then.

Amen.

Talking to kevin at westwind last night and my understanding is if you are up for the weekend and come to shore on saturday for lunch,bait,drinks or whatever there is not a second day charge.

Why do people use coupons when shopping at stores? To save money! Why do people ask the shortest route to a lake? To save time and ----MONEY! If anyone went to buy a new Vex. or Marcum would'nt they look for cheapest price? When they raise taxes, does everyone smile and say,"GOOD, I'm glad they raised my taxes? I don't think someone thats going to buy a new truck just picks out a dealership and says I'm buying from that one without checking prices. Not everyone has an $80,000 to $150,000 a year job, so they can throw money around. I guess I'm one of the very few that likes the phrase, ON SALE.

I'm one who belives that "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" and we see all sorts of new operations starting up which can be good but what happens when we get that 20" dumping of wet snow and all they have for equipment is one brokendown straightblade ford. This year has been preety easy on equipment but in the past we have had to work a month to cover repair costs.

Quote:

Why do people use coupons when shopping at stores? To save money! Why do people ask the shortest route to a lake? To save time and ----MONEY! If anyone went to buy a new Vex. or Marcum would'nt they look for cheapest price? When they raise taxes, does everyone smile and say,"GOOD, I'm glad they raised my taxes? I don't think someone thats going to buy a new truck just picks out a dealership and says I'm buying from that one without checking prices. Not everyone has an $80,000 to $150,000 a year job, so they can throw money around. I guess I'm one of the very few that likes the phrase, ON SALE.

You are comparing goods to a service. When I look for a guide for a out of state hunting trip for example, I dont look for the cheapest, because you usually get what you pay for on the service side of things, I agree with you 90% on the goods end of it. I will pay more for my boat motor from a dealer with a great service department and large inventory of parts & great techs etc.

Everyone loves a good sale, look at the success of ebay but with some sales and bargains you have to accept the associated risk that comes attached. If I am buying a spool of line that there is no risk with then why not save a buck, thats why we have walmart and others smile.gif I normally always try to buy my bait and lures for URL trips at the minnow station or hillmans where ever I happen to be accessing for that trip (actually I can't think of too many times that I shop at both places even though i drove by big chains like Gander and could have gotten it cheaper there

You are comparing goods to a service. When I look for a guide for a out of state hunting trip for example, I dont look for the cheapest, because you usually get what you pay for on the service side of things, I agree with you 90% on the goods end of it. I will pay more for my boat motor from a dealer with a great service department and large inventory of parts & great techs etc.

Everyone loves a good sale, look at the success of ebay but with some sales and bargains you have to accept the associated risk that comes attached. If I am buying a spool of line that there is no risk with then why not save a buck, thats why we have walmart and others smile.gif I normally always try to buy my bait and lures for URL trips at the minnow station or hillmans where ever I happen to be accessing for that trip (actually I can't think of too many times that I shop at both places even though i drove by big chains like Gander and could have gotten it cheaper there

I understand what you mean. If people want to buy service, they can. Like a guide, on a fishing or hunting trip. I've been hunting out in Wyonming for elk on public land for 10 yrs. without a guide and have done very well. I have to work a little harder, but that is what I chose. This way I can afford to hunt elk out there every year. And some how it's kind of simular out there, some guides don't like the public hunter, because they can do it on they're own and not pay the guide. If it's not against the law, and I can do it cheaper and just as safe, thats what I will do. It's just a preferance thing when it comes to where and what people spend they're money on. Services or goods.

The way I look at it, if it wasn't for the guys putting in the bridges and plowing the roads for $8.oo a truck, there wouldn't be 90% of the trucks out there. Just try and get over 3 foot of snow on ice without plowing. I think the fee is cheap. CAJ

Public access just north of the river, Portables, no bridges, no roads, ATV, snowmobiles. Again, it's a matter of preference. If I want to use access at resorts, I'll pay because it's easyer. But if I don't, thats the way I want it, not the way it has to be. Everyone has different ways of doing things, and there's nothing wrong with that. smirk.gif

Quote:

Public access just north of the river

North of the River? When did they put that in?

Shadyzr, what do you do for a living if I may ask?

Quote:

Shadyzr, what do you do for a living if I may ask?

Oh you are a driver, I think drivers make waaayy to much money. I can drive. wink.gif

Shadyzr, can just use his "small plane plane with floats for summer and ski's for winter" I bet he used a coupon when he bought it grin.gif

I guess the DNR down in ST. Paul headquarters dose'nt know about the public access on upper red!

Yes I do drive, construction, lay off in winter. So less money to throw around in winter. Thus, finding a way to do it cheaper so I can fish more often. I guess I'm guilty of that. I guess if I had more money I should come up and pass out money so I could be one of the good guys. Not everyone has the money to go out and just throw it any where. I guess this kind of makes the point, because some of us that dose'nt have as much money as others or don't spend it like others, we're looked down upon. So it seems to be an "US and THEM" thing. Oh, I can fish!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Oh, I guess I'm guilty of have money once, I have a plane. A coupon for planes, thats a good one. I paid as much as someone would pay for a bass boat, or a pick-up. But that dose'nt mean I'm going out every 2 years and buy a plane. Are you rich enough to go point at a new truck or new boat and say I want that one, or did you shop around?

If anyone on here dose'nt buget there income, that would be pretty stupid, or I have it wrong and all are rich enough to go fishing and hunting and buying things as often as they want with out thinking about bills or living expences they have to pay. Again, I'm sorry I can't spend money like the rest of you!!!

We use the public access a lot when accessing the noth end

and Rogers on the south side

One thing that should be pointed out is that neither Jon or I make any money from lake access rates. All we do is help out with the roads in exchange for a season pass.

I am still curious about this "public access north of the river"???????? The only place I can even think you might be talking about are the boat launching ramps on the Tamarac River. If that is the case they are for boats, in the SUMMER. Everybody, the DNR, the URLAA and Beltrami County all advise that they not be used to get onto the lake in the winter. The reason is that if you use those ramps you are going onto URL right out the mouth of the Tamarac River. Right over the thinnest ice on the lake, right over the one place on URL that is NEVER safe to travel on. Almost every year someone trying to avoid paying access ends up bobbing in the busted ice chunks and water at the mouth of Tamarac screaming for help.

I beg for forgiveness, I was wrong, the river is almost right at the access. But it is a PUBLIC ACCESS. And no one said we would use a 2-3 ton truck to access there. I just got off the phone with DNR and if I'm on the ice 6 inches from shore I'm not tresspassing if I decide to go away from the river mouth for miles. And I don't think I'm going to be screaming from my ATV or snowmobile if it drops in 6 inches of water. I'll just travel along shore, on the ice, till good ice. I don't think we that want to use the PUBLIC ACCESSES should be looked down upon or labeled as bad people!!! I have'nt picked on anyone that uses the resort accesses, or rents houses, or pays for services, its your bussiness. But if I choose not to, its mine. So JAB away. It's kind of childish to pick on someone following the law because they can!!! grin.gif

While you are within your right to do that, and seem to be getting quite defensive, I just want to point out that when coming up to Red 2 or 3 times a year, I LIKE to talk to locals, resort owners, maybe just people at a gas station, to find out the very latest in info. I also like to drive where I can find my way off that big puddle grin.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I think Kelly is making the point that the ice is a concern in that area. Maybe you wouldn't drive a 1 ton across the middle of it and are taking precautions but by not providing the info that it isn't safe someone surely would and the results could be disasterous. Been there seen that as I'm sure Kelly has as well.

Let's try to play nice and be less confrontational when posting guys. This thread is sliding down a slippery slope as of late.

Thanks

Seven hours and counting until I start heading up there for the 3 day weekend. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on work today. laugh.gif

Hey good luck up there Borch, I wish I was heading up there myself. Won't be able to get up there until week 2 of march. (People need to quit having birthday parties, YOURE OLD NOW!!!) grin.gif

Kelly-p and Jon, if you two are doing all this work on keeping up the bridges and keeping the roads clear for everyone else so you can get season passes I must say i will never say a bad word nor should anyone else for the work you two do so others can fish

kelly-p, i wish i had all this extra time that you and jon have to work on these roads for basically free, If that is true I commend you, but I find it hard to believe you get nothing but a season pass.

Well vital shot, Kelly is a good friend of mine and I know what he is stating is fact! He would have no reason to come on this site and lie.... So don't find it hard to believe... just continue to commend him! Remember they have a lot of clients that need to get to their rental houses... a good road is an asset.

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

Maybe you wouldn't drive a 1 ton across the middle of it and are taking precautions but by not providing the info that it isn't safe someone surely would and the results could be disasterous.

He did provide that info; his post specifically said:

no roads, no bridges; portables, snowmobiles, ATVs