• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Tour Waconia-fishead

Hey Paul...

So what do you think... How thick of material should I use for my "ice breaker" for the boat? I figure with the so-called ice thats tried to form, maybe a .25 steel angle breaker bar out front, and .125 aluminum sheet for side guards. With the way things are going, this rig will probably get me through to the end of the year.

-OR-

Would 10' or 12' 2x4's work the best? Have you every tried 2x6's?

Dan

I am getting a pair of those "boat shoes".You know those pontoons things that you strap to your feet to walk across the water with.They sold them when I was a teenager about 20 years ago.OH I am going to check EBay right now! grin.gif I could get out there tommorow!

Dan,

Don't know how the boat rig would work out. What I did was build a set of frames out of 2x2 green treated lumber a foot wide by 3 feet long and covered it with a piece of plywood. Wala walking water skies. I could send you the plans if you would like grin.gif

Paul

Sounds like an awesome idea you guys came up with! Count me in. We have to have ICE by then don't we? If not I'll be in for another time. I'm still kicking myself for putting my boat away too soon!!

Count me in fishead! I have alays wanted o fish Waconia!!
I just installed pontoons on my 4 wheeler so I am all et to go!

Cory Frantzick
RE/MAX Associates Plus
Timberlane Homes
(612)801-0809
1-800-568-5818

------------------
Visit us on the web at www.Athomeonthelake.com

Howdy All...

Rumor has it that "Wacky" is completely glazed over. My neighbor told me he drove by there this morning and it was all ice. No way near fishable, but a promising condition none the less.

Remember everyone, this is second hand info. I will try to confirm tomorrow.

Cross your fingers......Dan

Anyone been by Waconia in the past day or so.Its too bad that we got all this snow and I hope most of it blew off the lake.I am going to call MASES tommorrow for an ice update.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

Sorry, no Christmas gift here. I drove by Waconia today and saw (yuk!!) spots of open water. Drove past the swimming beach and the ice close to shore was full of frozen slush and wind driven sheet ice. Not what I would call safe....YET. Most of the snow has blown off the ice that had formed and in most spots looked fairly clear. Time did not permit a more extensive test, but it should not be too much longer.

Anyone else make a fly-by lately? What are your thoughts?

Dan

I am just going to throw this out and see what everyone thinks.
Do you think we should postpone this get together for another day when the ice would be more than safe.I am sure many of you are willing to walk a few inches of ice with no fear at all,but I woulddn't want to exclude those who had any doubts about the ice.Early ice is better fishing but we may be limited to just fishing a small area(although a good one)It would be nice to fish the whole lake and be more mobile.
What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 12-25-2001).]

No harm in pushing it back a week or two. Would hate to see someone take a swim shocked.gif
I know everybody is itching to go, but I wouldn't want to see anyone excluded either.
Just my .02

Paul

Not a bad idea, Fishhead. I, for one, am not interested in a cold water swim. Also would hate to scare off the less ice trusting members. Me, being one of them.

Have ya talked to Mase's lately? Maybe they have some info for ya.

Dan

Well I called Mases tonite fro the ice conditions.There is still large areas of open water and they expect it to stay open untill the wind lies down.Waconia bay and along the south side of the lake there is 3 to 6" of ice.Some of the ice is poor cloudy frozen slush and some is good clear ice.Basically all the good early ice spots have ice although not the best ice.Where the snow did not blow off is not good ice.By saturday we could possibly add 2" of good ice to the totals.
With this report in mind what do you think.I will need to make a decision by tommorrow so any input would be welcome.I guess I am leaning to postpone although I will probably head out this weekend anyway to check it out.

Well I have been experiancing some technical dificulties with my computer.I will be out on saturday.Yesterday I got word that ther are many permanant houses out on Waconia and that there were lots of people out fishing.I also heard that except the portions that have open water have good ice.I would not be comfortable on a sled or 4 wheeler but for guys walking out there should be no problems.I have today off so I will be heading out this afternoon to check things out myself.

I'm now unsure if I'm going to make it. I'm heading to the north a little ways today to fish a lake, and then I've got to spend a little time at home with my girlfriend smile.gif Hopefully I'll see you there. I'll be the one with the Polar sled. (Black w/ a yellow top)

Good Luck,
Rusty

Hey Fishhead...

Just got back from a recon mission to a few lakes. You are correct. There are some houses , permanent type, out on Waconia. Most are located right in from of Mase's. I think I saw a few on the N.E. side as well.

I was called in to work Sat. but I may have someone to cover. Or I could come down with some strange malady. Any suggestions?

If I can make it, who or what am I looking for? I figure finding the right person/portable from the get-go is a ton better than just yelling out, "HEY FISHHEAD!!" at the top of my lungs.

If I can't make it for this one, how about a repeat performance later in the season? Waconia, or maybe a different lake in this neck of the woods?

Talk to me....Dan

I have a blue "Little Jigger" portable.Its like a fish trap.I will probably be wearing a black hat and a blue Columbia parka with kahky colored pants.If Pwaldow makes it he might have a FM banner.
I plan on waiting around right in front of Mases at noon for about a half hour just to meet guys on the way out.If I don't see you there yelling out "FISHHEAD" will work just fine smile.gifWho cares if people think your crazy!

*544&%^^&& of all the luck.

I didn't think that we would have fisheable ice and that we would have to postpone this event so I switched Saturdays and now I have to work. frown.giffrown.gif

WELL?????

I quit early today and drove down to Mase's. Where was everybody? Walked around, but without my cold weather gear, sort of froze a bit. I can honestly say the folks at Mase's think I'm crazy. I stopped in there to warm up and overheard someone talking about "a guy out on the lake yelling HEY FISHHEAD." On that note, I made a quick exit.

So how did you guys do? Anything moving? Who all showed up? Also, I saw a few rather large houses out in front. Would it be worth it to drop my 8x8 on Waconia this year?

Dan

BTW... Fishhead, Why don't you drop me an email. Got an idea I'd like to talk to you about off line. [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 12-29-2001).]

Fishhead, Dan(fishboy?), and I fished til after dark and caught only small perch and a sunny. We fished out and to the left of the marina(along the weed-edge) in 11-18 ft of water. There was some reports of walleye activity elsewhere on the lake.

mike
ps. good meeting you dan and dennis.

Well I appologize to all who would have come had I not been so indecisive about postponing the get together.There will be more Tours I hope we can meet you at those.

Even though the fish were not cooperating I had a good time.It was good to meet fishboy and jacobm.I think we found a nice spot except that if there were more traffic even the perch wouldn't have cooperated.I talked to few guys at Mases and they were all disgusted with the fishing.One guy who was fishing in our area even went as far as to say "first time I have been skunked on that spot in 7 years".(have you ever noticed its always 7 years,best in 7 years,worst in 7 years).

Dan97
If you walked out to the power lines(Waconia bay)you walked right on by us.We were the first set of portables on the way out.

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 12-30-2001).]

Nice meeting you, fishhead and Mike. Waconia was fun, even if the fish weren't on. I caught a few nice crappies and a couple of small walleyes at that other lake (go figure - just after you told me they were in there) after I left you guys, though it was slow there as well. I reckon it was probably slow everywhere. A little warm up this week might get things going.

We've got to get some good numbers for Harriet - I'm sure we will do better then we did this round!