• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trapping- What did you catch today?

leechmann

Do you guys have 4-wheelers if you were to lose all your snow?? Is your Island big enough to have rivers that draw runs of salmon? Or do you have to go to the mainland? Or just net them in the ocean?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leechmann

• fishermann222

• xHCxOutdoorsman

• The Grebe

Since most of the island is federal wildlife refuge you are not allowed to 4wheeler on the land. So that is out, but there will be enough snow for snowmobiles, just might have to wait until march, we will have to see.

Most of the rivers have salmon runs on the island. NO king runs though. Dogs, pinks, silvers, are in all the rivers. Reds only make a significant run in one river on the oposite side of the island. The one thing that we do have here is AMAZING dolly varden fishing. it is nothing to catch 50 dollies in a few hours of fishign with a fly rod.

How big do the dollies Run? I haven't done much of it. This is the nicest one I've caught.

What are typical flies that you use for them? I caught that one on a flesh fly, but but most have come to egg patterns. We are generally fishing them behing spawning Red salmon, which it sounds like is not the case for you.

BigDolly.jpg

Sorry, I realize it doesn't really fit the thread. blush.gif

I'm still looking for some old trapping photos.

Well I it's getting colder by the minute. I think I just saw a herd of Muskox run by. I connected tonight with a nice red. I learned that when the temp is below zero, I have no patience for photograph. I am also unble to fix the camera when the shutter refuses to open all the way. So the pictures of the fox are kind of skinny. By the way, the camera worked find in the warm pickup. I must have hit one of the setting buttons.

fox5002.jpg

fox5001.jpg

At least you are getting out. Still warm, blowing 45+ and rainy. Kinda like weather on the Bering Sea in the winter. OH WAIT, thats where I am. LOL, just wish it was in the 20's at LEAST, I actually prefer below 0. No trapping until this stuff changes.

Fishermann, I think I'm catching you. It the weather holds up there, another three seasons and I'll be tied with you. LOL

weather has been bad, but the big guy is looking out for me. I DREW A GOAT TAG. OH YEAH BABY GOAT HUNTING IN AUGUST.

Ok, now you've gone too far. I'm going to have to draw and albino elephant tag. Yeah that's it, an albino elephant tag. They taste like chicken. I'm just kidding. Good for you. Where do you hunt goats? Are they on the island, or do you have to travel to the mainland for that? Give us the lwodown on the goats.

This hunt will be on the kenai pen. Right across the bay from Homer. Really need to work on logistics. I have a buddy in Homer who is can drop me off seaside, but I need to look into some pilots to see if they can get into the one alpine lake in the area. Walking up mountains full of alders AND devils club is not alot of fun, best to start alpine if you can.

She's getting colder and colder down here. It was 27 below this morning. I haven't caught a skunk in about a week. My pickup is starting to smell normal again. I hate that. I may start a new trapping product, shunk smell air freshiner, for trappers, in the off season, or for you guys up in the tundra. I didn't catch any thing in the traps tonight, but hey, it dark again, and the fox are probably working our sets as we speak.

I just got back from freezing my butt off, and no sign of anything. I think with -40 windchills even the critters are smart enough to stay inside something. Time for a warm cup of coffee.

well today i got nothing but i'll give you a bit of my trapping backround i just started this year im 17 the first set i ever put out i caught a coon back in oct. i also caught a muskrat and a coon in nov. i took a break due to having no land by my house to trap i went to south dakota and was taught by some family friends on how to trap and snare over christmas break now about two weeks ago i set 6-8 snares on a farmers land they sat for 5 day and i got my first yote on last sunday i set a new snare in the same area, on monday i got another yote about 50 yards from where i got the first one, i set another snare on 15 yards for where i caught the second one and got my third yote in that snare yester 3 yotes in a week i am extremly happy with the progress i am new to this sport and this website any input you could give or tell me it will be greatly appreciated thanks and happy traping every one

Congrats on the Yotes, great feeling having full traps isn't it? Are you putting them up yourself or selling in the round? Did your family teach you how to skin, flesh and board them?

It is tough to just give you all kinds of info when we don't know what you already know. Try asking specific questions.

yeah i get so excited when i see the tail waving around in the brush what do you meanselling in the round just seillin to a fur buyer? i think that is what ill do because i dont know the process in treating them. i was taught by two men i S.D. family friends i have skun them out should i leave the paws on or take them off i have fleshed two off hem because they were fairly fatty. suppose that i am looking for info on setting i have caught all of the on trails in woods bordering cattails with the loop facing east west none on that face north south i worry about scent a bit but dont wear rubber boots or gloves i havent boiled snares should i? but its all been working out tanks for replying

Selling in the round means not skinning. Glad to hear you are skinning and fleshing. As far as the paws you don't need to do that, but if you do, and split the lips and ears you could possibly sell to taxi market as well. Though I don't know if there is a very large taxi market for yotes or not, I kinda doubt it.

Sounds like you are doing great so far. One thing I do with my snares if I have snow in the ground is boil them in baking soda. It puts a little bit of a white tint to them and they blend in really well. Some guys I know up here us white speed dip to die parts of the snares white as well.

Well guys I am FINALLY going to get out and get some sets in the ground. Beautiful day here 25 and clear Best day we have had in at least a month. Looks like I will be late for the game today.

Danscoyote002.jpg

I say the heck with the big game. I'd rather be trapping. I snared this coyote this morning. Fur looks good. The rest of the traps were empty, but I saw some fresh sign in another area. Next day off, I'll set that up. I also saw a fisher tonight. That was cool. Fisherman, now that the weathers cleared, lets see some pic's of the village and all your fox tomorrow. And that other pic you were going to e-mail me. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Wecome to the trapping thread XHC.

Nice yote leechman. I went out and got a bunch of fox today, between me and my buddy we shot 8 total. I also got 2 dozen traps up and running, another dozen are frozen down in overflow, they are not going to be fun to chip out.

Here are a few pics of the village I have on my computer, I will take new ones tomorrow

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

This next one is the school (summer pic)

NuniwarmiutSchool.jpg

Great pic's fishermann, keep them coming. What type of soil is on the ground there. It looks like alot of clay, by the school in the summer time picture. Does it get sticky muddy when it rains in the summer? Do you get lots of rain in the summer? How do they get eletricity to the island?

thats a very nice yote leech when i get a scanner or if im around one ill put some pics up of my yotes i caught a fisher by hinckley on the last day of the season it was luck well i checked to day and had nothing but i was in the area yester and stunk it up and set three more snares they are good snares hope i get somthing good luck to you oh yeah how can i get a pic for my default up like yours

fisherman you catch any wolves or do you not have any on the island what do you usually catch up there?

Nothing in the traps today guys. Been busy trying to thaw a drain pipe out.

XHC, not sure about the default picture, my daughter is in charge of stuff like that. Maybe Fishermann can help you out. Good luck too you.

I didn't have any luck this weekend on beavers either. 4 empty traps. Those beavers are already getting smarter than I am.

Ok had 3 in the traps today and shot one on the line as well.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Here is a large raft of eider ducks

IMG_0549.jpg

Pic of the village from the trail to the line

IMG_0556.jpg

We get electricty from a very large generator. The village is looking into wind power though, because at 4.75 for diesel fuel and 5.90 for gasoline, running generators is just too expensive.

Wow, how cool is that. Thats a great looking fox, Fishermann. Looks like summer is on the way up there. LOL. I look at what your doing and it makes me crazy for next season already. My son and I are already planning our line for next year. We are going to be very agressive, and get after the reds. I mean like never before. It's going to be great.

The other day when you posted the pic's of the school, what was the pipe that was running along the ground?

Thanks for the pic's, awesome!!!!!!!!!!

well thanks any how but today i didnt get anything again but there is always tomarrow how did you guys do??

those are some wonderful looking fox ihave yet to catch one what is your occupation up there?

I already look forward to your pics leechman.

The pipes that are above ground are sewer pipes. THey are small pipes and then heavily insulated to prevent freezing.

xHCx I am a teacher up here.

Had a pretty good day on the line considering the number of traps I have out and the conditions. Here are some photos. They are still in great shape no rubbing on these, however the females are starting to get that stinky smell.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Leechman that first photo is a catch from the snowhole I showed you yesterday.

Hey great job Fishermann. Great pic's. Those fox look awesome. I got blanked again today. I need a day off, so I can freshen up my line. Friday is the start of 6 days off for me. Then I will make my move. LOL

XCH Keep on plugging away, good things will happen.

today i got a silver fox today my first caught it in some cattails i was wondering if i should sell it in the round or if i should skin it and if skin it should i skin for taxi or just for the fur, how did you guys do today

thanks

I would freeze it and look for a taxi to purchase it. If a taxi does not purchase it then maybe tan it for yourself? I know if I ever get a silver or even a cross they will be skinned out with feet on and tanned for my wall.

Don't skin it and sell it to a regular fur buyer.