• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Inland Lake Trout Gear & Tactics

Nice ride TGO!

I have a question somewhat related to laker fishing but more to all kinds of ice fishing and that is snowmobile or 4 wheeler?

Snowmobile all the way. There is a lot of the season and a lot of spots a wheeler wont get you through. Unless you have the expensive tracks like GO.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• Northlander

• Surface Tension

Actually the tracks aren't too expensive if you already have an ATV 4X4 (500 CC or bigger).

Buying a set of tracks, will give you 365 days of use (winter and summer) without owning and licensing two different machines.

Cost, about $3200.

$3200 for the tracks. I was hoping to get a used snowmobile or wheeler and trailer for less than that. If I had your money Jim I would burn mine! grinwink

Ya I paid $1600 for my sled and trailer. $3200 and I could have gotten one real nice sled.

One thing for sure is GO will be a lot warmer in his ride.

Anyone, besides G.O., get any new gear for lake trout fishing?

The tracks are pretty cool, but the full cab... you should probably wear a tiara when you are riding around in that thing grinlaugh

Anyone, besides G.O., get any new gear for lake trout fishing?

The tracks are pretty cool, but the full cab... you should probably wear a tiara when you are riding around in that thing grinlaugh

Casey,

If you run ahead of me tossing rose petals, I'll wear the tiara! gringringrin

Anyone know where I can find jigheads like these. I found them in 1/2-1oz but am looking for 1/4+3/8oz.

Any info would be great. Thanks,

Also, any info about where to find some non-commercialized airplane type jigs, I would appreciate that also.

untitled.jpg

I have found those jig heads, Northland Tackle, Shur-Set and ISG Dream Tube Jig, and some other tube jig heads with sronger hooks, Kalins's Ultimate Tube Jig Head, at Thorne Brothers. All of those are available through their online store.

I have also used big whistler jigs by removing the blade.

I'm specifically looking for these with the line tie in the middle of the weight. None of the others I've found have this except these.

That looks very similar. I went to the northland site and couldn't find those. I'll call Thorne Brothers and have them throw a few in with the 2 new rods coming my way!

I also found the Canyon plastics insiders which are made with the gamagatsu hooks which I'll try also.

Well that didn't take long and I really appreciate it.

Thanks

I have also seen them at Gander MT and Marine General. Call before you go though. Both places move out some stuff to make room for ice fishing gear. Both places could use at least twice the space for fishing gear. wink

Any way to order them online or I can even call to order them. Looking for 3/16, 1/4 + 3/8th.

I fish lakers in WI. There is no good organized laker commuinity in the area and I fish alone anyway.

Only thing I fish for in MN is Walter. Coming up to Mille Lacs for the annual 2 week trip December 11th.

Thanks Guys,

Any way to order them online or I can even call to order them. Looking for 3/16, 1/4 + 3/8th.

I fish lakers in WI. There is no good organized laker commuinity in the area and I fish alone anyway.

Only thing I fish for in MN is Walter. Coming up to Mille Lacs for the annual 2 week trip December 11th.

Thanks Guys,

you may want to reconsider pushing that date back. From the looks of it we might not have decent Ice by then, especialy on a lake as big as mile lacs.

Also, any info about where to find some non-commercialized airplane type jigs, I would appreciate that also.

Marine General gets a small run each year but they sell out of the better colors pretty quickly.

Steve

Interesting comments about spinning/levelwind reels.

I got a Jason Mitchell heavy action "twist" rod and an Ambassadeur 6600 over the summer. Going to spool it with some type of superline as my main laker rod.

I have several of the heavier action HT spinnning rods that will be my back-up/guest rods. I used 2 of them last winter with good success against multiple species with my Diawa 2500 and got 4 more from the FM swap meet last spring. I removed the cheesy, small HT reels that came with and am going to put a couple of my medium summer reels on them with either 14# Fireline or 12-17# mono. I really liked using the Fireline last winter and think the "fused" Fireline will work even better.

Steve

If your a spinning rod type guy check out Gary Roach's line of winter spinning rods. 3 rods that can do laker duty and good prices. I hope to be running 1 this winter. Reeds has them online.

Ok here is another topic to discuss. Let's hear your thoughts on jigs. Regular lead head vs. airplane vs. tubes.

I considered the airplane to be the best but have caught more fish on a traditional bucktail jig. One of my friends only uses an airplane jig in a one color combination.

Thoughts???

I like small air planes but probably use more lindy flyers than airplane jigs. I like the lindy flyers tipped with Gulp Smelt or Shiners.

I have an assortment but often go weeks without using them. Some airplanes, some tubes, some bucktail. Mostly I'm using swim baits like Jigging Raps, Chubby Darters or Cicadas along with a variety of spoons. When I trot out a jig, it's generally a tube jig.

i did real well on burntside and trout with a 3/8 jig head with a gulp! minow on it. i tried using airplane jigs with no luck. its hard to switch from something that works....and whatever you use the most is going to catch the most fish. i think that having confidence in what you are using is the biggest player in catching fish. when those lakers are hot they are going to attack lots of baits. having a couple other rods rigged up with other baits for those not so hot lakers is key.

• 5 weeks later...

bump

Just a reminder to anyone reading this encyclopedia of laker expertise from the very first page all the way through. It was started in 2006, so season openers and other mentions of specific dates are no longer valid.

Enjoy!

Does anyone use beetles and cut bait up there like we do over here on Superior?

Venom_Beetle_2oz_48bfcc630bab0.jpg

like these..

Jar Jar

I have spent many hours preparing the tackle box and rods/reels. Can't wait to get out in a few days.

What do you guys think about black jigs? Never used them myself but have several in the box from my dad.

Steve

I've had some luck on dark colors before. Anyting is worth a shot!

Last year everything changed for me when I started using a new jig in my arsenel....I've got 2 words for anyone looking to buy some new laker tackle........ CHUBBY DARTER! (Does't have to be the biggest one they make, either).

I couldn't believe how many fish went completely nutzo while this guy was fluttering down the hole. Never experienced bites like those before.

Ohhhh baby... I think that twitch is back! wink